Going nocturnal | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Going nocturnal

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Darrel and I had been wanting to make this trip for a few weeks and as hot as it has been decided to make a night paddle when it was cooler and sleep in the day time.
We hit the water around 8.30 pm on Friday and started down river ,it was really nice ,kicked the lights on as it got dark,dang fish were everywhere. we saw gasper carp mullet catfish and a ton of gar as we paddled along, the only bad thing was the river was dropping.
We paddled down to a sand bar I wanted to try, here is a pic of Darrel coming into the bar.
IM002704.jpg

IM002705.jpg

Those light Darrel is designing are awesome.

We set up caught a few fish gar ,the largest guesstamated around 30 lbs.

Couple of them

IM002702.jpg

IM002701.jpg

We were really targeting the 100 lb plus gator gar. I hit one and had him for a couple minutes then lost him. Oh well that is gator gar fishin

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
We had a moccasin come up to the boat ,I slapped him with a paddle and he left, a few minutes later I broke off on a good fish and was retying ,I accidental drug my weight across Darrels foot :lol: :lol:
that boy can do the Texas two step :dance: :dance:

We fished drank coffee and just relaxed and the first thing I knew the sun was coming up. Here is Darrel still at it at 9 in the morning.

IM002707.jpg

We crashed pretty quick after that pic we had both been up over 26 hours.
We found some tree and I threw my cot up under them,it must have been 20 degrees cooler under those tree with a light breeze blowing.
Darrel had his machete out digging around on a bank, the next thing I know the guys has built him a recliner , bank was dug out for his hips ,a lumbar support foot stool and even shelves for his smokes and drinks

IM002711.jpg

Yep a country boy can survive.
He had a wind up radio that worked well ,wasn't bad sleeping listening to Toby and George Straight .
We decided around 730 to load up and paddle the rest of the way in after dark ,we loaded and right at dark headed downriver, ran three small rapids one portage and on into the ramp.
I was highly impressed with the two speedsters we were paddling
they both handled the swift water well even loaded with about 150 lbs of gear ,we didnt paddle hard and averaged just a little over 5 miles an hour coming down stream.
We learned a lot and had a great trip.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Next time, Ronnie, take along a little squirt gun. When Darrell is all relaxed like that, SQUIRT a bit of water onto his tummy. Then - real quick - turn and gaze at the sky, in an off hand manner.

Remember, now, I didn't tell you this.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I have to tell one on myself, I was in charge of the refreshments, we decided on salty dogs ,I got the grapefruit juice, salt had the dry gin
plenty of Ice in the cooler. Opps walked off and left the gin so we had salty dogs with out the dog :shock:
Ron