Good deal on a Coleman hiking stove | SouthernPaddler.com

Good deal on a Coleman hiking stove

nobucks

I got some cash from my in-laws for my birthday and went to Wal-Mart and picked up the last of their Coleman Peak-1 3001 hiking stoves, which they're clearancing now to make way for the Coleman F1 Ultralight stove.

Cost was $21.99 and the can of fuel was $4.88. I've heard that REI has it for $2.89, though. Burn time is supposed to be one hour on high.

The stove I picked up today burns butane/propane mix canisters, so you just turn the gas knob and light it and you're ready to cook. The drawback is that the canisters do not work well if the air temp is below 30*F, and, of course, you can only burn the prescribed fuel. It weighs in at 6.5 ounces, not including the fuel.

I did some boil tests when I got home. Tests were conducted on my deck with no breeze, so I had no change in results when I used the windscreen.

First I boiled one quart, which the box claims it should do in three minutes. Actual time for me was five and half minutes, with and without the windscreen.

Then I boiled two cups of water, since that's what is used for a typical packet of Lipton Rice Creations, and it did that in two and half minutes.

See, Milwaukee's Best Light is good for something!
stove01.jpg

I'm thinking that the windscreen needs to be larger in order to be effective, i.e., it needs to shield the bottom of the pot, not just the flame. Any thoughts?

stove02.jpg

stove03.jpg

stove04.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joel, do NOT use that wind screen again. You are more than likely overheating the fuel canister. They can explode. "Mommy! Mommy! See the funny man run and wave his arms!"

Use one that sets back a few inches from the fuel canister. On mine, I even had to drill some small holes (about 1/8") along the bottom portions of the wind screen to let cooling air through.

I made a simple one from scrap plywood. 1/8" thick, about 6" on the bottom, 10"-12" tall, and about 4" on top. Lay them side by side about 1/2" - 3/4" apart, and duct tape them together. The gap in between the panels is to facilitate folding it flat for carrying.

Individual panels are trapezoidal because then, when assembled and set up, the assembly will lean slightly inward and be more stable.

Now, plywood is something we stitch and glue-types have laying around. I'm not sure what you skin on stick guys have. :lol:

nobucks

Thanks for the warning. I was actually paying attention for that and the canister stayed cool through the entire process. But, like I said, it didn't do anything for the boil either, so I'll likely figure something else out.

I want something I can roll up and stash easily, so I'll probably have to find a bigger aluminum can. As for skin on frame, I do have an old space blanket laying around. I suppose it would melt though. :p

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Joel, do NOT use that wind screen again. You are more than likely overheating the fuel canister. They can explode. "Mommy! Mommy! See the funny man run and wave his arms!"

Use one that sets back a few inches from the fuel canister.

I'm with Jack on this one ... 110% .. :shock:..... Don't have a wind screen attached to the tank , the reflected heat can cause the canister to overheat and you will really boil the water when the canister explodes.

Have it at the top where the burner and flame are , so some ventilation is there under it to make sure the canister does not overheat.

If anything just move your body upwind from the stove to block the wind , that usually does the trick or have the stove in a place out of the wind. :roll:

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Joel
If I am a beach are sandy soil I just dig a depression , works for a windscreen and also a containment if you have a spill or stove was to malfunction.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Guys, Ronnie is a past master at starting fires. Actually, I think he carries one around, hidden in his pocket somewhere. We'd land, I'd pull my boat up, and step into his damned fire! Where'd THAT come from? I think he just pulls it out of his pocket, lays it down, and there it is.

To be honest, I had to show him about post holes. I had a few left in my shirt pocket, and I just unfolded a couple and laid them down when he needed a big hole one day. He'd never seen that before. Don't know what he used the hole for, but he shooed me away.