got 'er done | SouthernPaddler.com

got 'er done

Scooter

Other than a couple screw eyes in each stem, she's pretty much done. Little over 15'. Won't get 'er in the water this weekend; hopefully next and will post some pics.

Thinking maybe screen door handles insteadda screw eyes...make better handles for carrying.
painted1.JPG

painted5.JPG

painted4.JPG

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Scooter said:
Thinking maybe screen door handles insteadda screw eyes...make better handles for carrying.

Screen door handles are not the most comfortable things to carry a boat with, there is no give in them. The ones I have seen at the local hardware store, tend to be narrow, if you have a good grip on it and lift it would tend to mash you four fingers together. Better for pulling open doors.

Toggle handles or a monkey fist would work better (and probably look better also). Ask others on this forum for input on what they did for handles.

Boat looks great.

DM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Scooter

Nice looking pirogue and now the fun starts with it ... paddling and enjoying it.

You might want something wider and better then a screen door handle , depending on the weight of the boat and how far you need to carry it. You might want to check in the wood working section of the builder supply place and see if they have one made out of wood , it would be a little thicker and offer more comfort.

A couple of screw eyes would let you attach a rope for carrying it and they would even offer a place for a anchor line or when it is on your vehicle a place for the front and rear tie downs.

Chuck.

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Nice looking boat Scooter :)

I like the simple lines and the paint scheme. Perhaps I should have kept mine simpler and I'd have finished by now!

I will show my son your pics as I suspect that is what he was thinking of when he was talking about painting ours.

Pretty boat!