got 'er started... | SouthernPaddler.com

got 'er started...

Scooter

...and might set aside for awhile, as pirogue bug #2 has bitten, and bitten hard. Anyways, it's an attempt at a two-ended detachable paddle to match the redwood/spruce decks on Spud (pirogue #1). Will almost certainly need some epoxy/glass before it's done, since all the pieces are glued end-grain to the center spruce. Will have to see how far down the blade the shaft overlap goes.
2007_0702Image0014.JPG

2007_0702Image0022.JPG

decksandchair.JPG

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Scooter,

I got a dollar sez yer gwine ta have a hard time paddlin' that boat with that paddle. Too many folks will be gushin' over what a swell job ya done. :wink:

respectfully
bearridge

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. Patrick Henry

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Hey there Scooter, Your paddle looks great and it is going to match the boat well. You should glass for sure on such a nice paddle. I would also epoxy the tips with wood flour epoxy mix as well. I'm sure you were going to do that anyway. what is pirogue #2 gonna be like?

I have a question for you. I am done with my seat build and made it out of pine which yours seems to be made of. Did you put varnish only on it or any stain, and if no stain do you wish now you had? I'm trying to decide if I want to stain or not and saw your seat in your boat. I think I might put a light stain on it just to give it a little color.

Good luck with the build and the paddle!

Chad

Scooter

Chad the seat is pine, varnished only (pic is pre-varnish). At the time I hadn't even considered redwood decks. If so, there'd be some redwood in it.

Pirogue #2 will be a lighter 12-13 footer for easy cartopping. Spud got heavier with the addition of flotation compartments. Like I was gonna make a rough open-water boat out of a pirogue...that's a good one. :shock:
2007_0430Image0016.JPG

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Hi Scooter,

That's going to be just too pretty. The crowds will never let you get it in the water!

Lovely work. I would be interested to see pics of the paddles as they progress.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Thanks for the reply scooter, I will probably just epoxy saturate and maybe put a little varnish over that on my chair.

I can't wait to see the paddle when your done.

I understand the lighter shorter boat thing if you are lifting the boat yourself. that ought to be a good size and weight. Good luck on the build.

Chad