got 'er wet 'n muddy, first time out | SouthernPaddler.com

got 'er wet 'n muddy, first time out

islandpiper

Well.....glassed the first of the two pirogues on sunday and JUST HAD to take it out on Monday....saw some great birds, was followed by a large fish for a bit, hmmm......and had fun. Notice in the one picture the carcass of a large alligator-like monster I killed with my paddle and dragged up on the sand.

At this range and with the camera focused just right you can hardly see the epoxy drips and runs.

Piper
first%20cruise%201.jpg

Dfirst%20cruise%202.jpg

islandpiper

pics

I'll get some more pics up ASAP......even some ( gasp ) closeups. By the way, I stood this boat on a scale today and it came in at 43-pounds. Now, a few decades ago, 43-pounds was not too bad........but it's getting to be more by the year. Anyway, if I sand some off and add some paint it will still be right around that.....

cheers, Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Lightening projects:

1. Cut a few inches off your ropes (some folks call'em "painters", as they drink their latte & eat curds and whey)

2. Round off the corners on the ribs, and sand'em thin along towards the top ends.

3. Saw some holes in the mid-section of those plywood angle braces.

These oughta get you down by about 3/4 of a pound.

islandpiper

jack

Jack, with all due respect.....

I'll leave the bow and stern lines nice and long, I tie it to the cartop with them an have learned, through the years, that length, even in lines, counts.........

Tapered ribs? workboat...think workboat........I taper the braces in Mandolins. Whole different function. I may want some real wood left in the rib ends if I decide to nount fishing rod holders there.

Lightening holes in the angle braces? ya, sure....... I'm not portaging this baby in a mile.....3/4 of a pound doesn't mean much.....

Hey, maybe I'll use a LIGHTER color of paint!! That should help.

Cheers, Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Roger that! Even though my suggestions would have a positive effect, you maybe didn't notice my tongue stuck in next to my cheek as I wrote them.

I likely wouldn't do any of them either.

Now, seriously - PAINT? Blasphemous!! Do NOT paint on a natural wood finish. I will come pee in your cereal if you do that.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Your going to PAINT HER........For shame, the drips and runs are like wrinkles on a person they just add character. :lol:

Jack if he paints the boat then I know how we can make it weigh 30 pounds, we can drill holes in the bottom of it. Lots of them , from one end to the other.

Personally I prefer the natural wood showing but I have seen some pirogues which really looked good painted. It is just personal preference and the paint would protect the epoxy from the sunlight a lot better then varnish.
You can use that as the excuse for painting the boat. :wink:

Chuck.

islandpiper

paint

Jack,

I noticed you looked a little puffy, just thought you were putting on some weight.....

I will deliver one to my buddy in natural wood, varnished, and he can maintain it forever, or till he lets it rot away. As for me, I'll make mine nice Louisiana Swamp Green outside, with some eye-easy color inside..gray, or OD.......

No cereal, just GRITS.

Piper