Goulash (GOO losh) | SouthernPaddler.com

Goulash (GOO losh)

islandpiper

This is our family style of goulash. Quick, easy, cheap, filling and hot on a cold rainy day:

1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
1 onion chopped into the beef while browning
2 cans diced tomatoes, or one can tomatoes and one can of tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni boiled in salt water and drained and stirred into the meat mix.

Serve with a Tbls or so of vinegar in a soup dish . Some crusty bread goes good with this...

Pretty simple, working-man food where I grew up. With that pre-cooked and pre-packaged ground beef would be good trail/river food.

See? no grits......

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Looks familiar. I'd include garlic here. Being a solid Kraut, I'm also (virtually) an honorary (ornery) Eye-tal-yun.

Everything is better with garlic on it. EVERYTHING. (Well, except gree-itz. Nothing can improve them.)

Slammer

Feb 16, 2006
South Texas
Post subject: Goulash (GOO losh

Now that's funny I don't care if you eat grits or not.....(Goo Losh)....that be fuuuunnny. Never dawned on me that someone wouldn't know how to pronounce it and then taking a good look at how it's spelt............that just cracks me up. Easily amused today I guess.

Never heard of the vinegar with it.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Slammer,

Vinegar kin really give ya a surprize. We put a few spoonfuls in red beans rite after we turn the heat off 'n git read ta put it over the rice.

My Grandma used ta make Goulash, but I dont recall her recipe. It had Hungarian paprika, okra 'n tomatoes. I think she put corn in it sometimes. Mebbe she jest added whatever she had in the icebox? She mainly ate ice cream 'n greazy spaghetti, but she liked candy too. :wink:

regards
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem! Ronald Reagan

Slammer

Feb 16, 2006
South Texas
Brother Bear,

We've made it with just 'bout everything you can think of, Mostly out of 'da garden when young. Garden be 5 acres. We've used squash, purple hulls, okra, tomatoes,

Sometimes be hard to tell if it be GOO Losh or stew.

I does luv me some cucumbers, tomatoes and onions in vinegar.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
"O" Boy... Some sweet onions cut up and stacked in between cucumber slices and swimming in vinegar with a little salt & pepper thrown in. Set it in the frig for a little while to cool down..... then enjoy.

I try to keep a jar of it in the frig but it keeps disappearing every time I open the door.

Chuck