1 1/3 cup wheat germ
1 1/3 cup oat bran
2/3 cup oil (I use extra virgin olive)
1 1/3 cup honey
2-3 cups nuts
2 cups dried fruit
2 Tbsp vanilla
1 cup maple syrup

Toast dry ingredients in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, stirring often. Remove from oven & mix all ingredients. Spread out on cookie sheets and bake at 30 degrees, for about 30 minutes or desired brownness. Cool & store. I’ve kept this in the car over hot summers and cold winters. Stores nicely; eats even better. Can also add milk and eat as cereal.

This is a good snack, a good staple, and healthy to boot. Travels light and keeps you going.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
This is a good snack, a good staple, and healthy to boot. Travels light and keeps you going.

Jack .
This looks really good and I will have to try it. I like the part about traveling light and being really good for you, heck it might even replace gritz but I drought it since they are the travel light and fill you up original.

Folks ...... I am in some really BIG trouble by posting this but I had my gritz yesterday .... did you :?:

Chuck..
Honestly Jack .. All joking aside I will have to try this .. it looks like a really good paddling or hiking snack, if not a meal. It should be a lot better then those store bought granola bars I take with me. :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
(SNIP) Honestly Jack .. All joking aside I will have to try this .. it looks like a really good paddling or hiking snack, if not a meal. It should be a lot better then those store bought granola bars I take with me. :D
Thanks, Chuck. Coming from a gnarly Olde Farte like you, that is truly a compliment.

About 10 years ago, I was working on a couple of highway jobs in Michigan's thumb. Debbie was riding shotgun. On the west coast of the thumb, we walked into a bed and breakfast in Sebewaing (Bear's Buddy, Bud, Dapper Al, and Drano will all know where that is). Erma, the lady of the house, was taking some trays out of the oven.

"What's that stuff?" I elegantly asked. "Granola; my husband loves it."
"Well, before we leave, can I have the recipe?" I heard Debbie ask. "Certainly."

Guys, feel free to juggle, jiggle, and adapt this recipe to your heart's content. We already added some goodies to it. I suppose you dyed-in-the-wool Suthriners may want to replace maple syrup with sorghum. Go right ahead. Packing it in vacuum packages is ideal.

Just don't use any SAE 90 wt transmission oil - save that for your gree-itz. :oops:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack
Here are three that I like and I found them is some old editions of Backpacker magazine.

POWER BOOST BARS

( full recipe)

4 lbs whole wheat flour
1 ½ cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1-2 teaspoons spices, cinnamon or nutmeg , can go a little heavy on the cinnamon
1 quart reduced fat milk
1 ¼ cups honey
1 ½ cups molasses
1 ¼ cups melted shorting
1 cup chopped nuts , walnuts or pecans , if you use salted reduce the amount of salt that you use
2 ½ to 3 cups dried fruit, chopped to small raisin size pieces, prunes, cranberries , apricots , figs , leathery apples not crisp.
8 to 12 ounces chocolate chips are optional, they tend to get gooey and messy in warm weather

Mix the dry ingredients in a big bowl. Add about three quarters of the milk , all of the Honey, molasses, shorting, nuts, fruit, and chocolate chips, mixing well. If the batter is too dry, slowly mix in the rest of the milk. Grease the baking pans and pour about 1 inch of the batter into each pan. Bake at 300 for about 75 minutes , than reduce heat to 200 and slightly open the oven door. Let it continue to dry for at lease 2 hours, and longer is better. ( the ones I did I did not dry them)

½ mix will make two bread pans, full mix will make 4 bread pans or about 40 4 by 2 inch bars ( For a 1/2 mix just cut everything in half)
These have a long shelf life if refrigerated. As long as they are refrigerated there won't be any mildew. ( Will hold a long time if cooled ( in the frig) in a zip lock bag, for a snack)

HOMEMADE ENGERY BARS OR BALLS

Bank Balls (Created by Joe Banks, Backpacker magazine)

24 figs ½ tsp. Baking soda 1/3 cup honey
1 Tbs. canola oil 4 Tsp. orange juice 2 egg whites
2 1/2Tbsp. Lemon juice ¼ cup dark corn syrup 2/1/2 cups unbleached flour
½ tsp. Baking soda 1 cup oat bran.

Combine Figs, Honey ,Orange Juice and 2 tablespoons Lemon juice, and put in food processor. Chop into fine bits, set aside. Mix all the other ingredients ( except oat brad) in a large bowl. Beat with electric mixer three or four minutes at medium speed. Add fig mixture, and beat until blended. Roll 20 to 24 balls and coat with oat brad. Place balls on the pan and bake at 350 for 10 min. or until warm and a bit puffy. Put in frig to harden. For a crunchier texture , bake 2 to 5 min longer or until dough is thoroughly cooked.

CAUTION. Be careful not to overindulge . To many can cause an upset stomach because of the high fiber content. ( each ball has 44g crabs, 1 g fat, and 4 g protein for a calorie count of 191 per ball) as well as other important nutrients like potassium, thiamin, niacin, and riboflavin-all from a natural sources,( you know what is in it you made them)….These balls will cost about $4.00 for the ingredients or about .$.17 a ball, for the 24 balls, Compared to a one serving 2.3 oz. powerbar you can buy for $1.69 and don't know what is in it.

PRE TRIP OAT CAKES

3 cups rolled oats, uncooked ½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vegetable oil 1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup chopped nuts ( optional) ¼ cup sugar (optional)
1 cup water

Mix together all ingredients in a bowl except water. Boil the water and stir into the mix. Let stand about 15 min. Flatten the mix and cut into cakes. Brown both sides of each cake in a hot frying pan. Bake the cakes at about 200 F for a half hour, let cool and take camping. ( GREAT FOR SNACKS and will hold for a long time if they aren't eaten)

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Good eats, Chuck. Stuff we can make at home,dry, and vac-pack.

Some mornings, I like to hit the water early while the mist is still floating around - ethereal. Boil water, add a tea bag to the thermos, grab these dry-edibles & go.

Or, loll around camp for awhile, and then eat the dry comestibles for lunch on the roll.

Cap'n Meriwether always liked his morning jerky. Jerked pronghorn comes pre-seasoned - they eat a lot of sage.

Kirk Dietrich

May 13, 2005
Arabi, Louisiana
Jack, that Granola recipe is great! I couldn't find all of the oat bran products so I used milled Flaxseed and Oat Bran (hot cereal) as substitute and it worked fine.
Thanks a bunch for sharing that recipe,
Kirk

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Jons Power Bars
6 cups oatmeal; 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans; 1 cup sunflower seeds (unsalted); 1 cup raisins; 1 cup dried cranberries; 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips; 1 cup slim fast powder - vanilla; 1 cup applesauce; 1 cup honey - (Warming the honey for about 30 seconds in the microwave helps).
Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Add applesauce and honey and mix again. Press firmly into baking pan and bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

I use an aluminum cookie sheet about 12" X 24" X 1". Press the stuff down, bake it, precut it while still warm, finish cutting after cooled. I like bars about 3" square. Two of these and some smoked turkey sausage for protien make breakfast that lasts into the afternoon.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Jons Power Bars
6 cups oatmeal; 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans; 1 cup sunflower seeds (unsalted); 1 cup raisins; 1 cup dried cranberries; 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips; 1 cup slim fast powder - vanilla; 1 cup applesauce; 1 cup honey - (Warming the honey for about 30 seconds in the microwave helps).
Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Add applesauce and honey and mix again. Press firmly into baking pan and bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

Jack

Figuring that they are not eaten all at once what is the shelf life for them before they become rancid and we have to leave then out on the camping table so some of our paddling & camping buddies can finish them off. :lol:

Also do you think some figs or dates in the mix would help :?:
Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Chuck,

At home, I keep them in the freezer. On car trips with them in a sun-heated car parked with windows closed, they were still fresh after a couple of days. I plan to vacuum pack them for paddling. I don't expect any difficulties a week or two into a trip.

Dates and figs are hardly ever a bad idea. Might add some more oatmeal to dry them a bit.