Graphite/epoxy coated hulls | SouthernPaddler.com

Graphite/epoxy coated hulls

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Ok all,
I know the sanding of a graphite epoxy coating is pretty messy. My question is, once the sanding is all finished do you still get smudges and marks on your hands and clothes, from the graphite when you are lifting and handling the boat?

Just wondering.

DM

keith

graphite

Ha DM, whats the verdict. I've been waiting for two weeks to know if graphite still comes off for ever. How much faster can you paddle ? It seems to be the thing to do, but what are the pro,s over just pant. Thanks Keith

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I sanded one of the boats hull after graphating it. It was messy when sanding and you will get dirty , wear rubber gloves and something you really don't care about having on when you go out for dinner.

After the sanding is done then wipe the hull down with a moist cloth. Or just drop the boat in and take a short paddle around a lake and after that you should/will not get any graphite on you.

When sanding it , the best method is to do it by hand , this way you will remove the outside (skin) layer of the epoxy and not a lot of the graphite.

Chuck.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Hi Keith;
I am still way off from putting any finish on a hull, dont even have a hull yet to put it on, but I am working on one.

From all the info I have gleaned from here and elsewhere, it seems.
If you dont sand the final coat, it is a very shiney black, somewhat harder coating.
If you do sand, you get a dull black/gray color, with the sanding you are removing some epoxy and exposing more graphite which adds a slickness and lets you slide over things and things slide off the hull (faster?). Should be just as hard.

Heres a link with some more info. The link from "chalk" about 5 posts down has some info.
http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134

DM