GRAYL: Water Filtration and Purification Cup | SouthernPaddler.com

GRAYL: Water Filtration and Purification Cup

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Things are improving everyday in camping supplies or for just ever day use.
Here is something interesting in water filtration and even purification. They have three different systems for the one item , a filter for Tap Water , A filter for use on the Trail or in the woods and a purifier for Travel.
Its the GRAYL: Water Filtration and Purification Cup
Just remove the cup portion , fill it with water , push in the unit and filter then have a drink. Easiest way to explain it is to take a look at the video.

This is from them. ( 2.18 minute video )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDOxtydTBoI

Yep , I got one to try it and the only complaint I have is that the amount of water is only 16 oz at a time. You can drink directly from it or use it to fill a larger bottle or water container with the filtered or purified water.
They say it weighs 16 oz , I weighed mine on my digital scale and it comes in at 15.7 oz with the Trail Filter.
For canoeing in fresh water it would be ideal , just dip the container in the water as you go along , push in the filter or purification system and drink. No Pumping , Squeezing , Sucking or Waiting to have a drink of water.

For a really good explanation this is from the Science Channel and is definitely worth watching if you are even remotely interested in how this unit works.

Science Channel ( 3.47 minute video )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6KBxPkNITo

Chuck...................

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Thanks, Chuck. Nice find. I'll stick with my First Needs in the outback as a purifier. But, it's good to have options. I didn't explore to see if it is svailable with only the international purifier. If I'm going to clean up water to dtink, doing only a partial job of it seems dumb.
They are misleading when they say no other filter/purifier hses pressure. But, it adds nothing meaningful.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You can get any of the filters with the unit and even get extras if you want to.
I got the Trail or Woods one ( Filter , Green ) with the unit and the Travel ( Purifier , Orange ) as a extra so I would be able to set the unit for where I would be.
The Trail , Filter , for water where there aren't a lot of worries and just want to be safe like from springs or artisan wells and the Traveler , Purifier , for anywhere there might be a question about the water like a normal river.