Great Lakes Salmon | SouthernPaddler.com

Great Lakes Salmon

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yesterday, Julie and I went along on a trip out into Lake Michigan on a charter fishing boat. We'd been invited along, and were happy to get out. Five of us were "fishing". We departed from Grand Haven, where Michigan's largest river goes into Lake Michigan.

Fishing here means watching the crew rig 15 lines arrayed out behind us a couple of hundred yards, spread left to right a couple of hundred yards, and 100 feet deep. All artificial bait with treble hooks. I was busy eating snacks, kibitzing, and swatting mean, little flies.

The first hour and a half were dead - zero. Then, some fish started biting. Steelheads and king salmon were on the prowl. Cranking them in is WORK. I let the others do that menial stuff. Someone had to tend those snacks!

By the end of the day, we had five, large salmon - three steelheads and two kings. They ranged from about 20" to 28". The crew filleted and iced them for us, and I had to help carry them to the car. (Whining here: "I have to do EVERY thing!")

Tonight, I laid out some of those big filets onto a tray, laid on some fresh dill and lemon slices, and baked them at 450 for 45 minutes. Uhh uh UHHHhhhhhh! Jarvis good eatin!

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
kyjack sounds like you had a nice catch the only thing better to go along with them would be some sardines and gritzzzz on the side. :lol: :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Out in Salem Oregon I had the pleasure of going out for a dinner and they had fresh Salmon on the menu. The Salmon was grilled over a Alder wood fire and that was some of the best Salmon I have ever had.
When the server asked if I would like some dessert I told her another order of the grilled Salmon would be really nice. She gave me a funny look and I told her I was not joking , I had my 2nd order of the grilled Salmon for dessert and it was just as good as the 1st one. :D

The closest wood I can find locally to match that Alder wood is well aged and dried Citrus for grilling.
So Jack try grilling a couple chunks of the Salmon for a taste treat.