Great Trip | SouthernPaddler.com

Great Trip

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Two of my friends and I hit the river about 7 this morning. Water is still up and was a little hairy putting in . We could launch in some slack water but had to go into current right above a strainer pretty fast water.
IM001556.jpg

You can see the strainer below Gerald

IM001560.jpg

We all made it fine and were of down the river flow was a little faster than normal so we were making good time just easy paddling .
Decided to stop and fish on a gravel bar
IM001564.jpg

Here is a pic of Kim caught red handedcutting Geralds line because he was catching first fish
IM001562.jpg

decided to cruise some more and away we went was a great day light wind cloudy .The next stop is a Texas size sand bar
IM001566.jpg

This pic was taken to my left the next one to the right
IM001568.jpg
a really awesome place and wouldn't you know it Kim had to catch a catfish
IM001569.jpg

Gerald caught a couple stripers and kim hooked up with one gator gar but i will let him tell you about that. down river we went to a creek running into the Brazos mussel run we paddled up it for a spell and were amazed how clear the water was
This is really a pretty creek
IM001573.jpg

IM001572.jpg

Kim hollered at me said look at all the hog track as he said it a hog took off running down the bank later saw another group of about 9
we hit the bridge was a pretty fast bit of water there and a couple strainers right where you had to beach but we all made it fine .Was a pretty rough take out muddy and steep . Kim was down on all fours in the mud one time (wheres a camera when you need it)
Perfect day two friends plenty of water and yaks don't get much better
Ron
PS 15 miles wasn't bad at all but the wind was kicking butt the last few miles

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Ron,

That iz my kinda water.....movin'. :wink: Very nice. That little creek wuz nice lookin' too. The wind begun ta howl here bout 3 pm. I looked up at the sky 'n wondered if the High Sheriff wuz pitchin' a tent somewhere. 8)

We got some rain later. Weather hounds sez we will likely git more today 'n tonite.

regards
bearridge

ps That sandbar looked like a good spot ta hang a tarp 'n build a fire......October 'er November. If someone kin drive there in the chuckwagon, ya'll kin put on a big spread. Wonder whatever happened ta the High Sheriff's chuckwagon?

Groucho: It says here that you and your wife have eleven children.  Why so many?
Contestant: Well, we just love kids.
Groucho: I love my cigar, but I take it out of my mouth sometimes.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear..

Ole Mac has it over at his place , makes it easy for him to load and unload his canoe.
Parts of the river looked like white water without the rocks. That makes for some easy paddling , just scooting down river enjoying life.
Those sand bars sure look like some good camping spots and then for supper have fresh river cats with the side dishes , what a life. :D

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I am blessed
I can be at one putin on this river in 5 minutes and when the river is normal airboat are paddle craft are the only thig that will go sso I have about 60 mile of this river that I nearly have to myself.
In a couple weeks we have a three day trip planned more camping than paddling on that one fishing on one of those bars can't wait
The more I paddle the freedom the better I like it It has handled everything I have put it thru.
Ron

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Nice trip report & pics . T rat if you could have got that pig yall could have cats,pork & gritzzzz by the fire. :wink: Thanks for sharing cat