Grilled Buffalo Wings | SouthernPaddler.com

Grilled Buffalo Wings

JEM

Wings are getting ridiculously expensive to buy at a restaurant or bar. This puzzles me because the raw wings are pretty cheap and doesn't take a whole lot of effort to deep fry them and cover in sauce. Not to mention the angioplasty you need after eating them.

For the Super Bowl, I decided to try doing my own on the grill.

-4 lbs of wings
-1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
-1/2 cup of Frank's Original Hot Sauce (or whatever your hot sauce of choice is).
-6 gloves garlic, crushed
-juice from 1 lemon
-1/2 tablespoon Kosher salt
-1 tablespoon black pepper
-cayenne pepper to taste
-2 tablespoons honey

-Remove tips of wings. You can split the wing again at the drumlette-flapper joint but they are easier to grill if you don't.
-Mix all ingredients well. You might want to heat the honey up so it mixes easier.
-Coat all wings and seal in zip-lock or tupperwear for 24 hours.
-Grill over hot fire until skins are crispy and juices run clear.
-Serve hot with dipping sauces as desired.

I threw on some mesquit wood onto the coals to give the wings a little smoke flavor. I also split the wing at the drumlette-flapper joint right before serving for easier handling.

These were a big hit.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
JEM said:
Wings are getting ridiculously expensive to buy at a restaurant or bar.
Your recipe sounds tasty! Buy boneless/skinless chicken breast to get the meat (minus bone, fat, skin, and gristle) at less$/pound. Slice the breasts into "wing-like" shapes, and redo your same recipe.

JEM

I tried it on some boneless and skinless breats.

Was ok, but not the same. The skin is not all that healthy. But a crispy grilled skin is much better than deep fried. Not to say I'll never enjoy deep fried wings again. But this was a tastey variation.