Groovers | SouthernPaddler.com

Groovers

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
At our monthly paddling club meeting a topic was brought up about the club buying a luggable loo for club sponsored trips. That got me thinking I camp at spots that are used by others too have I been sleeping on someones latrine? I'm going to take a positive step and go buy one to take along with me so I can save a clean spot for the next guy.
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=248792
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/store ... ctId=13784
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... id=PP_P1_1

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Unfortunately I haven't graduated too far today the temperature is 10 and I'm sure the plastic seat at work would wake you up faster then I'll get out. It does make the wait shorter though everybody makes sure they gotta go before stoppin by no readin the poetry.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ozark said:
That got me thinking I camp at spots that are used by others too have I been sleeping on someones latrine?

More then a good chance if you are camping in places a lot of folks camp at. Especially if there is not a designated spot to go , if there is then you can bet it was just liquid matter you napped on.

The nice thing with a hammock is that you are at lease 18 inches ( or more) above the ground and what ever has been deposited on it. :lol:

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Make note to myself New tyvek ground sheet

( Chuck here.. If you put the old one in the sun and no fly's show up it should be OK ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Washing it removes the crinckly cracklies I'll have to try that. I have a half a roll left from one of my buildings.

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Jack, I'm surprised you missed an opportunity to plug that Hennesy Hammock you're so proud of! :lol:

I'd've thought you'd've written a whole page on it by now!

Steve

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Paul's already been in my Hennessy, no need to. But, can I sell you one? Step right up, git your Hennessy right here!

No, I don't sell them nor get any remuneration. I just like them. They're not perfect, either. Just better than anything else I've tried. Rain flies on them suck. I've switched to using a Cooke Custom Sewing 10' X 14' stretched across.

It provides coverage plus a covered patio on one side that larger than even the hex fly can do..

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mine is the Expedition Asymmetrical. It is plenty large for me. You are a bit taller, and it may still fit you. Next size up is an Explorer. Chuck and my Son have a Safari, the largest hammocks. The extra room doesn't seem usable to me.

Take some time to study the "Model Comparison Chart". There are many measuring systems there to figure height and weight limits.

The Achilles heal of Hennessy is the rain fly. The standard fly is a catenary cut rig; it is unsatisfactory in a blowing rain. Get the hex fly. It will fully protect the hammock, but blocks the view on both sides.

I was experimenting with, and will now use, a Cooke Custom sewing fly of 10' X 14' to cover down on one side of the hammock, and have a covered patio on the other side. Even the "covered down" side can be raised for better visibility when no storms threaten. This fly can be rigged with a patio on either side, so it will readily adapt to a wide variety of terrains.

If you order the snake skins, get the largest ones. I think all hammocks come standard now with "tree huggers". Those are those long, flat, black nylon straps I had wrapped around the trees in Keith's yard. They don't bite into a tree like a rope does. I leave them on the end ropes for ready use or non-use.

There are many little tricks you can use with a Hennessy, and some that you HAVE to use. I'll show them to you on the Au Sable. There, you can use the Hennessy at all sites, or a tent.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I have the Safari as well.....I like the room to bring my backpack inside.
I keep a water bottle in the pack with some medicine. Book, magazine and headlight. When I have a problem sleeping I can read.
I have the explorer I started with and it was big enough. I like the Safari because I can bring extra stuff inside. The rain fly that comes with the Safari is wonderful. The HH is my number 1 preference for sleeping. Jack and Chuck sold me on them. I keep one in my truck during summer fishing or paddling trips for that emergency nap. :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When I got mine I called Tom and explained that I wanted one which would hold me and my pack. He suggested the Safari Deluxe and it does everything Tom said it would do.

The difference between it and the Explorer is as one person put it .... It's the difference between a Motel six ( Explorer ) and the Ritz ( Safari Deluxe).

Then make sure you get the Hex Fly with it , the Hex fly is the cat's meow as far as rain fly's go for the hammocks.

Joe's Explorer and the standard fly on the left , My Safari and the Hex fly on the right.
trip%20028.jpg

A better picture of the Hex fly.
St%20Mary%20March%2004%2013.jpg

Mine and Joe's on the last trip. The Hex fly can be tied at any angle you want as you can see in this picture. We had them both set that way so the hammocks would catch any breeze that might come along from the river.
Dec07%20017.jpg

Chuck.