Ham Bone , Bean Soup. | SouthernPaddler.com

Ham Bone , Bean Soup.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Good times are here again.

Went over to the oldest daughters and her husbands place for dinner yesterday and after the festivities , before aiming for home I was asked now much of the Ham do I want ... What ever you leave on the bone , I have plans for some Bean Soup with it if you guy's don't want to make some.

Well ... Sir... There was a good chunk of meat on it and this morning it got boiled in a nice pot of water till the meat fell off it and it sure smells really good. Boned the rest of it out so now the meat and juices are simmering along with a diced up Onion , some Celery and a couple of chopped up Carrots.

Pretty soon the Navy Beans will be added to swim with the rest for a while. Then later some cornbread ( on the side ) tonight a good supper.

1. A ham bone with some meat attached , boiled till the meat flakes off , remove the bone.
2. Add a diced up onion to the ham broth , some celery and carrots and simmer for a while.
3. Add the beans to the above mixture and simmer till they are where you like them.
4. Have some cornbread baked or corn muffins and get ready to have a good supper.
5. Enjoy the fruits of your cooking.

Simple food , simple cooking but soooooo Gooood. :D

Chuck.

Tor

Jack,

Would this work with a Lamb bone?

I have never had much success with beans but some of the stuff on here gives me some inspiration. My beans always appear dry I like them to fall apart (like tinned beans :oops: , yes I'm a heathen) how do you get them to this stage and have a sauce that sticks to them?

Tor

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I soak mine overnight before coking them ( I use the dried beans). Then put them in a slow cooker and let them cook for most for the day on a low heat. Make sure there is some onion in with them and anything else that you like in your bean soup.

My guess is that any bones would work that has some meat left on them , I like ham because of the flavor.

Chuck.