handy speed calculator | SouthernPaddler.com

handy speed calculator

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Made a fishing trip this morning(caught 2-about the same as everybody else I talked to ). I had been toying with a way to judge how fast you are traveling if you don't have a GPS( No Jack , I still don't have one. :wink: ). I figured feet per second would be a good unit to use because of the slow speed we travel. Had to brush up on my math.

5280 ft (mile)/60 = 88 ft/minute
88 ft / 60 = 1.4666 ft / second = 1 mph

Say your boat is 16' OAL. You come up to an object that is stationary(log, snag,etc.) . As the front of the boat passes the object start counting " Mississippi one, Mississippi two, Mississippi three " and stop as the rear of the boat passes the object. If your 16' boat covers the distance in 3 seconds, you are traveling about 3.63 mph ( 16 /3 =5.333. 5.333 /1.4666= 3.63 mph.

Obviously, this is not going to be dead on but it will give you an idea how much progress you are making against wind, waves or current. I did it a few times this morning and got about 2 1/2 seconds for my 16 ft pirogue. This calculates out to 4.36 mph. When I got home I checked my time on a half mile section on Google Earth. Went .59 miles in 8 minutes at a good fast cruise speed-- not pushing it. Calculated out to 4.42 mph. Pretty darn close.

Just figure out the times for your boat. Also, that 1.4666 feet/sec = 1mph would come in handy to judge current speed.

Ya get to think of a lot of crazy things while paddling. 8)

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Anyone try the formula? Seems like it would come in handy for judging current speed and boat speed. For me, I'm too stubborn, cheap , hard-headed ( pick one ) to buy a GPS. :)

It's pretty accurate with a little practice.

Joey

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I think your formula is too restrictive and narrow minded.

I don't charge bikini-clad coeds for anything until they are well over twenty-five.