HAPPY 4th OF JULY | SouthernPaddler.com

HAPPY 4th OF JULY

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
It is a time of year again, to express our thanks and gratitude for our freedom. We stand on the shoulders of giants, and we can see farther out ahead because of that assistance we were given. Freedom of choice is the one, single, most important benefit that we have. It underlies all lther freedoms, being able to choose.

So, similarly to our thoughts on Thanksgiving Day, pause a bit, during the gay and happy celebrations, to think about how we got here, and what we want our grandchildren to think about, say, 50 years from now.

And then - set off some fireworks!

Reactions: grandpa paddler

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Well, as Professor Henry Higgins lamented in "My Fair Lady", "DAMN!! DAMN!! damn!" We enjoy the Independence Day parade in the nearby town of Mason. But, we got rained out. I'm afraid the parade got rained on, if not rained out.

I try to keep count of farm tractors - and politicians - in the parade. Happily, the proportions of tractors to politicians had been moving in the correct direction year by year. And - another ratio was coming into importance. Since there are some horses in the parade, I could compare quantity of horse apples to politicians. And I was doing very well keeping track of both, until it became too difficult to dufferentiate one from another!

Back home now, prepping for my Son and his family coming to visit.