Clicky

Happy Hour Kayak finally wet

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Happy Hour Kayak Maiden Splash
I completed this SS&G Happy Hour last November, unfortunately the lake was already frozen. Here it is JULY,and she finally floats! The plans call for a skeg on the stern, of course I had to experiment and added a V bottom and left off the skeg.
Here are the stats:
LOA 9’
Beam 39”
Depth (side height) 11”
Flare 45 degrees
Rocker Bow 7” Stern 3”
Weight 24.6 lbs
By far the strangest boat I’ve built. The slight v bottom obviously didn’t compensate for the lack of a skeg. It needs the skeg. I suspect this would be a good boat for many people, just doesn’t fit my uses. Video’s show it tracking well with a skeg, without it wags a lot.
Future plans for happy hour include a skeg, maybe some arrangement to hide an electric motor in the skeg. For now it’s going covered and under the deck. Thankful for another experience.
Good Fish’n
Andy

Reactions: grandpa paddler

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Very nice looking little boat. You could probably add the skeg now and have a serviceable boat. The "chaland" I built had a skeg and it behaved pretty well for a short boat with a lot of rocker. I did not use it enough to know if the skeg had any negative aspects for my use.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I have questions about the seat in this boat.
Does it swivel? How high is it? How is it attached to it's base, screws, bolts, etc. ?
My next project may be to try one of my motor boat's cushioned seats in the pirogue.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Bee,
It is the cheapest and lightest seat in the Walmart fishing section. It is framed out of plastic, not plywood. I bolted it to a cedar box that slopes slightly down to the rear of the seat. Thank you for that suggestio some time ago, much easier on an old body. I made the box tall enough for my tackle box to go under the seat.The total height to the top of the upolestery seat is 9". No Swivel, but that maybe a good idea.I use this seat in my most stable boats and a lower version for less stable boats. One thing I like is it carries easily with the tackle box stuffed in the box. I can post a pic in the morning if you'd like.
On another note we had to cancel, our Christmas trip to La. Joyce had an incident this morning related to Chemo, that required a call to 911. She got hydration and some other help at the infushion lab,and is resting well at the Texas Tin Shed. We are grateful for a positive outcome of todays event.
Merry Christmas
Andy

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The seat I have and might use is mounted to a metal pedestal post/pin with 4 screws into the plastic seat base. I'm not sure if the screws will be long enough to use back, but I will figure something out.
I had a seat that swiveled in one of my first boats but did not care for it when paddling. It seemed to twist with each stroke. Might work for you.
IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
That would work, but I have moved on to other seats. Andy may like the swiveling feature. He will have to go to know.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
You guys and I share the “exploratory and experimental” gene. Meaning that we sometimes say stuff like, “I wonder what would happen if I blew up this little thingeydo?” I like to experiment with (double talk for “fiddle around with) stuff. When cooking, I don’t follow recipes. When building things, I include “improvements”. Sure makes Life more interesting.

Of course, missing fingers makes scratching a little difficult.