Hard Chines and Gunnels | SouthernPaddler.com

Hard Chines and Gunnels

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Home Depot has 1x2 and 1x3 which I could use for chines and gunnels. They're available in poplar, oak, and cedar and pine. Which of these would be easiest for work with in terms of bending and strength?

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Cedar is a classic boat building wood, but is used mostly for planking. It would be the lightest and probably the easiest to bend. Oak is used more for framing in boats and would be the strongest, but also the heaviest and hardest to bend unless it was steamed. The late Robb White preferred to use poplar for his boats. Ash would be a great choice if available. That said, I just used some clear pine for the gunnels of my pirogue. Home Depot here had it available in 16 foot lengths.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jimmy W said:
I just used some clear pine for the gunnels of my pirogue. Home Depot here had it available in 16 foot lengths.

This makes two of us. I like the lattice trim that they have , up to 20 feet for one strip and it is 1/4 inch thick by 1 1/2 inches wide. It conforms to the hull really well. I have used the small trimming , the same as used for screen doors and porches , it works just as well and really can be bent to fit the hull.

When epoxy saturated it holds up to any wear and tear the roof rack might try to inflict on it. The canoe rode 2,286 miles on the overhead rack on this last trip and there was not the 1st sign of any wear on the railing. Heck it even rolled around on the rocks /pebbles and sand at the campsite and came out unscratched unlike some of the gear that one night. :lol:

Chuck.