Heading out in the morning | SouthernPaddler.com

Heading out in the morning

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Leaving at daylight for another overnighter at Elm Hall WMA. Didn't think I was going to go when my truck wouldn't start and made EXPENSIVE sounding noises accompanied by violent shaking and sputtering. Had to have it towed $$$ to the shop. Called this evening and was pleasantly surprised-- distributor cap and rotor. With towing, parts and labor-$197.00. I thought that was very reasonable.

Truck is all loaded. Bringing my fly rod (thanks laflyfisher) which I haven't used in a while. Larry and I talked at the Rendezvous and I got the urge to start fly fishing again.

Have y'all wondered about this? How in H*%& can a backbacker carry on his back everything he needs for a week long trip? I travel fairly light and my boat is packed --and this for just an overnighter. :?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
Have y'all wondered about this? How in H*%& can a backbacker carry on his back everything he needs for a week long trip? I travel fairly light and my boat is packed --and this for just an overnighter. :?

How about the ones who do a long trip like the one guy that went from Key West to the tip top of Main , 6 months of hiking with only his backpack for everything.

I started out backpacking , then wised up. That is why I use the boat now days , two bags and extra stuff when paddling , might as well do it in comfort. Life is to short not to enjoy it and I like my backpack carrying me. ( It has taken quite a while to get it down to two bags ( large ones) and the food )

Actually if you think about it everything you need for one day and night is the same no matter how long you are gone , the food and beverages are the item's that adds all the extra baggage. :D

Chuck.

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Piccies please

Have a great trip! We'll be expecting pictures upon your return. Some of us are still shoveling snow,(12" in a day) so here's your chance to show us what a miserable lot we yankees really are. :( :( :(

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
I believe snow is just another 4-letter word that starts with "S" that you don't want to step in. 12" on the ground and about another 12" expected over the next 2 days. Almost enough to make me move South for the Winter.

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
BEARS BUDDY said:
I believe snow is just another 4-letter word that starts with "S" that you don't want to step in. 12" on the ground and about another 12" expected over the next 2 days. Almost enough to make me move South for the Winter.

I ain't gonna say it. I ain't gonna say it. I ain't gonna say it.

8)

Steve

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
It's OK Bears Buddy........All these Texans will be real quiet in August about the weather...... :roll:

Joey! Have a wonderful time! Looking forward to the trip report!

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
oldsparkey said:
I started out backpacking , then wised up. That is why I use the boat now days , two bags and extra stuff when paddling , might as well do it in comfort. Life is to short not to enjoy it and I like my backpack carrying me. ( It has taken quite a while to get it down to two bags ( large ones) and the food )

I agree. I herniated a disk in my back several years ago. Even an ultralight pack of 15 to 20 lbs is too much for me. But I was just thinking how the boat would haul a bunch of weight for me and I could be iin total comfort.

It's almost as if the boat is a beast of burden, like a yak or llama or something. Those guys climbing Mount Everest use yaks to haul all that gear up and down between the camps.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Oldyaker
I will take 105 a lot quicker than 12 inches of snow and the seenery is better them gals dress pretty scimpy whe it be a hundred plus
Ron

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
tx river rat said:
Oldyaker
them gals dress pretty scimpy whe it be a hundred plus
Ron

Well Ron...Ya got me there Buddy.......However when I was young I do remember them lik'n someone to keep them warm when 12 inches... of snow was lying around! :wink:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Geeeez, a guy leaves for one day a things go to H#$@! Didn't run into any snow. :) Haven't seen 12 inches of snow here TOTAL in my whole life.

But, about the trip. Nothin' fancy, just took a couple of can goods, chips, snacks ,coffee makin's and water. Used my el cheapo pup tent since the weatherman gave no chance of rain. My campsite was on the bank of one of the many oil field canals around here. They just dig a canal through the swamp and pile the dirt up on one or both sides to make a short levee from 2' to 4' high. This canal was dug in the early 1900's because there were some 30" diameter trees on it. I prepared my site by digging my hip hole under the tent and counted on mother nature to add a little comfort.
mossinboat.jpg

I put about a 3 or 4 inch layer under the tent. Spanish Moss was used in the finest furnture up until 40 years ago or so.

My humble campsite. Just the necessities.
campsite.jpg

I took a little hike down the levee and found a fallen hollow cypress the levee builders had partially coverd up.
hollowtree.jpg

It's hard to tell but I'm reaching above my head to touch one side of the trunck and the bottom of the trunk is buried in the mud a foot below my feet.

Took the pirogue and went exploring in one of the many canals connected to the one I was camped beside. Ran across the signs of a beaver I would NOT WANT TO FOOL WITH!
beavertree.jpg

beavercuttings.jpg

There really aren't any creeks or bayous around here that flow fast enough for a beaver to dam. He must have took out his frustraions on this tree. It was next to a canal that was 50 yards wide. Now that's a beaver will balls.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Looks higher than the beaver notches around here. Maybe he had a ladder. Chips look about the right size.

Beaver's cutting teeth are serrated. One well designed animal. They make a dam if they need to for achieving a pool. If they don't need to, they don't.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Had a strange encounter with the local wildlife. While hiking along the canal levee I came upon an area that had about a six inch layer of sycamore leaves. I started thinking about all the turtles coming out and sunning and started thinking snakes might be doing the same so I cut me a snake stick. I hadn't gone 50 yards when I saw the leaves ahead move and I heard a strange, aggressive "huffing" noise. Needless to say, I stopped dead in my tracks. I carefully scanned the ground ahead as I moved closer. I saw the leaves move again and poked at them with the stick. Another aggressive huff. I see a scaly looking tail come into view followed by the hind end of a huge armadillo. Whew! He must have been doing a little spring house cleaning because he had a bunch of leaves clutched in his front paws and was backing them out.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Joey,

I hope ya put one in the back of hiz head. Petaphiles eat dookie!

regards
bearridge

Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good. H. L. Mencken

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Bear, didn't have a gun but a took a swing at him with my stick. No effect . The though about having him for supper instead of Spam did cross my mind, though. :cry:

Another encounter. I was sitting by the fire on my pirogue seat ( love the multi-tasker) drinking my morning coffee when a mature bald eagle lands in a treetop not 40 yards away and starts his characteristic screeching. I did a little squeaking on the back of my hand and he gave me a good looking over for a minute or so. I was close enough to hear the guttural sound the eagle makes at the beginning and the end of one of those screeches.