Headwaters of the "Mary" discovered again. | SouthernPaddler.com

Headwaters of the "Mary" discovered again.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Robin and I just got back from a couple of days bushwalking and exploring the Blackall Range area of our sunshine coast hinterland. (a bit more on this later) I am dead tired and about to go to bed.

While we were up there, with the recent rain we have had, Barroon Pocket lake is full and the overflow is right at the headwaters of our beloved Mary River. :D This has been a very rare sight here in recent years. Baroon Pocket overflow. :D

2007_09090027Small.jpg

Further down stream, we came across the first readily useable put in, :D

Again, flowing water in this stretch of river has been very rare.

2007_09090144Small.jpg

View downstream from bridge. :D
2007_09090146Small.jpg

Tis about 100 kilometres or 60 miles from here by river to the first portage at the weir at Gympie. I am told the river is similar to this with a few small rapids along the way, but I have never paddled this far up this river.

About 15 miles downstream, we came across another potential put in at an old wood bridge crossing. I really like the looks of this river up here in the mountains.

2007_09090151Small.jpg

2007_09090150Small.jpg

Another 15 miles or so, we came across yet another nice put in.
2007_09090158Small.jpg

2007_09090156Small.jpg

2007_09090157Small.jpg

I am just about to start work on a new 16.5' tripping canoe that I think will be ideal for Robin and I to work this river in. I am real excited about this. With the coming wet season, and the promising signs of more good rain, i just can't wait to get started on the new boat. :D

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Heya Mick looks nice looks like some of our country around here. from the looks on some of the trees looks like the river was even higher.

Where Robin is standing by the big old tree sure looks like a nice place for a picnic. :wink: :)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Chuck,

I don't think our Mary has the rate of fall that your rivers do and what rapids there are, are probably pretty tame by comparison. Those who run the river a fair bit reckon it is doable in a wood boat - with care. :D

I haven't paddled this far up the river, but it looks pretty similar to further downstream. Most of the rapids there are little more than gravel races with rounded real slippery stones on the bottom. The fibreglass or plastic boats just slide right on over most of them. 8)

G'day Cat, Thanks mate. The area where Robin is standing is a road side park with toilets & fireplaces. I think it is maintained by our parks and forestry mob and they allow free camping here for up to 48 hours. 8)

The river was flowing much higher during our hoodootchie. It got up to about 40 feet higher than it is now.

Here is where the river starts,

Swimming hole at the top of Kondallilla Falls
2007_05140196Small.jpg

Looking out at the start of the Mary River Valley from the top of Kondallilla Falls
2007_05140184Small.jpg

hairy having a break at the top of the falls
2007_05140206Small.jpg

Robin Looking out over the valley.
2007_09090067Small.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Further downstream, there are lots of banks like this. Most of the farmers who own the land don't mind if you pitch a tent and camp overnight (as long as no mess is left.. 8)
2007_05140321Small.jpg

Better views of the Mary River Valley. All of this will be flooded when the new damn dam goes in further downstream. :x

2007_05140255Small.jpg

2007_05140310Small.jpg

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Mick, What a beautiful place to just Be! You and Robin will never be accused of a life wasted. You get out and enjoy it as much as possible that's what it's all about in my eyes. I call it going to 'Church'! I don't need four walls to get in some time with the Man upstairs.

Good On the both of you!

Chad

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
cctyer said:
... get out and enjoy it as much as possible that's what it's all about in my eyes. I call it going to 'Church'! I don't need four walls to get in some time with the Man upstairs....
HEAR!! HEAR!! Cathedral of the Great Outdoors. In Canada, we ooohed and aaahed at the Milky way, galaxies beyond our ken, light from stars dead a thousand years ago, constellations by the skyfull, North star, and all.

And all to the call of loons out in the lake. God is a paddler; I know She is.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Well bugger me! I've stood at most of them places a number of times most recently as last year and never realised it was the headwater of the Mary River. It was just a waterfall, and waterslide ifn yer still young an stupid.