Hear ye, Hear ye, Hear ye | SouthernPaddler.com

Hear ye, Hear ye, Hear ye

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
And that is the problem. I don't.

After 40 + years of working around and flying in all types of aircraft from AF Jets to single engine Cessnas, I have lost it. One ear is almost totally gone and the other ain't all that much better.

Now to the question. I have been reading as much as I can find about hearing aids. I now know that they cost WAY to much for what it costs to make them. But, all that aside. Is there anyone here that has personal experience with one, or more ?.

If so, what is the opinion ? good , bad, go high price or middle of the road.

Any imput would be welcome. No amount of advertisment can equal one actual user pro or con.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Baldy,

The High Sheriff uses a bull horn....the horn off a bull. He holds it up ta hiz ear whenever he wants ta hear. With all the high technikle inventions, seems like somebody oughta be able ta put some nano tech in yer ear so ya kin hear good agin? My Mom uses one. Cuttin' out the background noise seems ta be the main thing ta her. That would come in real handy if ya ever joined up on a expedishun with the Paddlin' Geezer Canoe Clud. :mrgreen:

Sorry bout yer ears.

DOES IT HELP IF WE USE BIG LETTERS?

regards
bearridge

Anyone who hates dogs and loves whiskey can't be all bad. W. C. Fields

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Baldy,

Good post mate.

I too am as deaf as a post. (industrial deafness)

Drives Robin nuts :p

Real keen to see where this one heads mate.

C'mon all you old farts, speak up. Tell us the good and bad. :D

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
va

Yo, Jimmy.

My problem with the VA is.
I do not have a service connected disability and I make more than the allowable rate for benifits.

I suppose I could get some bennies but, the co-pay would be more than I want to spend.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I work on and around jets for 35 plus years...I'm still working....I don't get a retirement.....and I'm deaf as a stone. I can't even get cheese with my whine... :roll:

islandpiper

Thankfully, God arranged for blind guys to hear better, but didn't take into account that some of them would run airhammer way too long and then hang a set of pipes over his shoulder for 20 years. My right side is OK, the left is a little impaired.

I never had a hearing aid but have spent some time with users. Yup, they are pricey........but like hand tools, you'll do well to get the good ones, not the walmart quality.

Go to Radio Shack and get a pocket size, 9V audio amplifier and earphone. It will sit in your shirt pocket and pick up all the ambient sounds and amp them up so you can hear them. Use that for a month and you'll cry tears of joy when you get a real hearing aid.

Dang, this is so disappointing........up till now we figured you were the only perfect one left here!!

piper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Had a pair in the early 90s. Phone rings. Forget I had hearing aids in and stick the phone to my ear. Peel myself off the celing, turn the dang aid off and answer the phone. Grandchildren will sneak up behind you and put their hands over your ears. Peel yourself off the ceiling and chase the grandkids. I finally gave up and quit wearing them They amplifly sound making it louder, thus damaging your hearing more. Maby the new ones dont do that. Don't think I will find out. I misshear a lot of interesting things.
Bob

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Ya know why the Creator made farts smell?

V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
So deaf guys can enjoy them too! :roll:

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
I use the $10 "sound enhancer" type. They do help quite a bit. Better ones are too expensive to loose overboard. They provide great feedback if you forget to remove them when answering the telephone. My hearing was done after 18 months on river boats in sunny Southeast Asia shooting at John & Jane's friends.