Heinz Field Rub... | SouthernPaddler.com

Heinz Field Rub...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Independence Day around the corner and talk already of football training camp.........Summer moving too fast.
Swamp, What's our bet on the Army/Navy Game this year?
Here is a dry rub recipe for your ribs or beef brisket on the 4th......

HEINZ FIELD RUB

1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

Mix ingredients in a bowl.
Gently press into meat before cooking.

Recipe from Finger Blitzin' BBQ Ribs in "Heinz Field Cookbook"

Question for you Reb's.
I have been using a Reb recipe for a BBQ mopping sauce for pulled pork for some years now. Can't remember if it's from GA or NC. Vinegar and tomato based type.
Any of you Crackers got a great BBQ type sauce recipe for pulled pork or ribs that would make you want to dip your fingers into and lick 'em clean?

Kids coming home for the Holiday weekend and we're spending a day going down river. Wanna have something great when we get home, pulled pork sandwhiches, cole slaw and baked beans. Stomach is growling already!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A Basic Rub

Kinda similar, kinda different; makes about 1 cup.

1/4 cup of brown sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup sweet paprika
3 Tbsp black pepper
3 Tbsp coarse salt
1 Tbsp hickory salt
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp cayenne

Combine all & mix well. Apply 2-3 tsp/ lb of meat, 12-24 hours ahead and refrigerate in a ziploc bag. Use some as seasoning after cooking. Store in an airtight jar in a dark place; lasts 6 months.

NOTE: THe last part is a lie. It's always all gone in less than a couple of weeks - no more of it left!

A

Anonymous

Friend oldyaker,

Vinegar/tomato sounds like Caroliney ta me. Like Will Rogers, I never ate a barbecue I didnt like.

Last nite I pulled up the tv menu 'n done jest like ever nite....looked fer a show worth my time. Like always I tole Miz Bear it wuz the food shows agin. I turn the sound off when Emeril comes on 'n we read along with the deaf folks. Remember how Miz Bessie sez (bout Spike Jones on the box), I "caint stand the way he sings, but I love ta hear him talk"? Well, I reckon I'd rather hear Emeril sing.

Anyway, its more recipes here than ya ever likely ta read, much less try.

http://foodnetwork.com/

If ya missed Bob Flay last nite, he showed a fellow down ta the sunshine state cookin' gator ribs. Type in a recipe search fer "alligator" 'n scroll down ta ribs 'n Bobby Flay. After the slow steam, he put it on a smoker (off the fire), then he put it over the fire on the grill. He put extra sauce on while it wuz on the last grill.

Them folks sho come up with a heap a ways ta cook a gator.

Now fer my two cents on yer sauce/rub call fer help.

Its two kinds a barbecue cookin'. First kind iz like spendin' time with a fine saucy lady on the way ta a poke. Gettin' there iz most a the fun. I figger if ya got company 'n a lotta time, this kin be fun if ya keep yer wits 'n dont mess up.

Ya kin git a secret rub frum a Texas hoodoo woman, add some CIA secret spice, then tell some tall tales, pour a fine sippin' drink 'n spend yer day round the cook fire. Mitey fine way ta spend the day.

Second kind jest gits rite ta the cookin'.....quickest 'n laziest way....kinda like when Jake Spoon would drop in ta see Miz Lorie down ta Ole Xaviers saloon.

I jest git a bottle a $1 bottle a barbecue sauce frum the store [whatever flavor ya like] 'n put some on the meat. Then I sprinkle some Zatarains on it. Dont use too much. It mite hurt a little pardner. Its best ta use Zatarains ever day on near bout ever thing. That way ya know how ta dose it. :mrgreen:

Sounds like its gwine ta be a good time had by all.

regards,

bearridge

All right now, I'm comin' out. Any man I see out there, I'm gonna shoot him. Any sumbitch takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife. All his friends. Burn his damn house down. William Munny

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldyaker said:
(SNIP) Any of you Crackers got a great BBQ type sauce recipe for pulled pork or ribs that would make you want to dip your fingers into and lick 'em clean? (SNIP)
Like the little blonde lady said to the sheriff in "Fried Green Tomatoes", "The secret's in the sauce."

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Mmmm...Mmmm.....Mmmmmm

You want BBQ Sauce recipes, over 1200 of 'em? I just found www.hungrymonster.com Click on recipes and than click on BBQ Sauces.
Never need another recipe book with the WWW!
Must be an Eastern NC recipe I've been using, just thought some "Good 'Ol Boys" might give up some family secret from down thru the generations.

A

Anonymous

Re: Mmmm...Mmmm.....Mmmmmm

oldyaker said:
just thought some "Good 'Ol Boys" might give up some family secret from down thru the generations.

Friend oldyaker,

When I got home Miz Bear had cooked barbecue fer lunch. They didnt fix it much in her house when she wuz a little pardner, but like I tole ya it aint nuthin' on tv worth watchin' but cookin'. She had ta give it anuther shot. She dont care fer the pork ribs....sez its too dang much work 'n too little meat. She buys what she calls "country ribs" without the bone.

She does it like this. Low boil the ribs fer a hour, then put a dry rub on 'em (I fergot the name of hers, but it had mesquite in it), then add some Zatarains. She low baked it in the oven bout a hour. She served some a that $1 Kraft 'er Heinz sauce along side....fer dippin'.

That aint exactly how I tole ya I'd do it, but it turnt out ta be some fine eatin'. You coulda took that last hour off 'n set 'em on the grill fer a while if ya wanted more smoke....but country ribs iz small 'n with all the cookin' they kin fall apart on ya. I'd put 'em in one a them vegetable grillin' pans....with all the holes in 'em. (so they wont fall down inta the fire)

regards,

bearridge

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H.L. Mencken

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks!

Chef Bear, Thank ya kindly fer that fine recipe on Country Ribs! Gonna try it with a cold long neck. I can see the marquee above the smokehouse now. Welcome to "CHEZ BEARS"! Free lobsta bib provided with each BBQ dinner. All ya can eat. Grownups- 9.95$, Chill'n under 12-6.95$, Sparkys Forum Members-29.95$, Yankee Sparkys Forum Members-Keep the hell out!
Will you be serv'n that special drink made with the grapefruit juice, I hear yesterday's vintage you had was some good stuff, nice boquet!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear

Ya can do BBQ Country Ribs in the crock pot.

I learned this from some Firemen at Station 43 , where I use to goof off when I was working and out patrolling the highways. :roll:

Take a crock pot and stand the ribs up in it, when it is full of the ribs then mix 50% BBQ Sauce and 50% water and cover as much of the ribs as posable. Cook on low all day and about every two or three hours take the lid off and drain some of the fat from the ribs ..(just spoon some of it out of the pot) . if you don't then the pot will overflow and make a mess on the counter. :oops:

Come supper time those ribs will fall apart and have a nice mild BBQ flavor. Naturally you can have more sauce on them if you want to or place them in a pan and under the broiler with more sauce for a short spell (remember they are already cooked) to spice them up. You will not get a full rib out at the start cause they fall apart when pulled on. :D

Swampy
I was just telling the truth ... Ya are an almost Yankee there in NC.... You are north of GA. :lol: :lol: and just south of New Jursey.... :p

Chuck.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Mine is similiar but....{:O) 1 tablespoon brown sugar(or turbado)
1 tablespoon paprika(use the good stuff Sweet Hungarian)
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon "Cavenders Greek Seasoning"
1 Tablespoon Dry Ranch Dressing Mix 1 package "Butter Buds"(yes..BUTTER BUDS)
The nite before you smoke the meat cover the whole cut with cheap salad mustard. Apply rub LIBERALLY!! I use rubber gloves' cause less will stick to your hands. Rub it into a good paste. {:O) 8=Pound Buut skin side up.Every hour or so spray meat with a mixture of 1/2 cider vineager and 1/2 cheap maple flavor pancake syrup.....10 hours slow and low about 212 degress...Will fall apart and melt in your mouth. KAHUNA

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
oldyaker said:
Independence Day around the corner and talk already of football training camp.........Summer moving too fast.
Swamp, What's our bet on the Army/Navy Game this year?
Here is a dry rub recipe for your ribs or beef brisket on the 4th......

HEINZ FIELD RUB
Yak...always Navy..... :wink: Now I'll have a son that is part Army! :shock: Look out now! It's been bad enough with the Lions vs the Panthers ... but this should cause some sparks! :twisted:

er... Yak.... can ya change that from Mrs K to Hunt's Field rub ? :lol:
Jest a personal thing...... :roll: :mrgreen:

A

Anonymous

Grrr!

I know what yer say'n Swamp, but the Heinz Co. ain't got noth'n to do with Mrs. K. She ain't got noth'n to do with the Heinz Co. She is just riding her departed Husbands name to get sime milage out of it. I know he's gotta be roll'n over in his grave.