HELP! | SouthernPaddler.com

HELP!

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Okay, I've got the bow and stern screed and glued, and I'm ready to put in the ribs. But they don't lay flat and snug against the sides. I can get two of them to lay as they are supposed to. But last one just won't. Only one edge the touches the sides.

I butted the sides using two 1/4 inch thick pieces of plywood. I found that I didn't use an equal amount of epoxy/flour on both side. So one of the boards "bends at a different angle than the other. And it seems to be throwing the whole boat off. I think I can just cram enough epoxy/flour mixture to make up the difference, but it ain't gonna look pretty.

What do you guy's think I should do?

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Hey funbun, I think I can picture what your saying but a picture or two would be even better.
First off the shape will look a little funny until you get the rub rails on, they will pull the boat into shape more.
Second the ply you used at the center at the butt Joints will spread the other ribs out a bit more also.
Third have you tried moving the ribs fore and aft a little more to see if that helps them to fit better? Also make sure you have the angles on the ribs in the correct positions in the boat.

I can only guess at what is going on without seeing or a little more info.

Let me know if it's a three rib or four also!

Good luck and try to post a picture if you can.

Chad

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
It's a three rib. Sorry. I'll try to get pictures. I'm building it down at my dad's old shop, so it'll be next week before I can get pictures.

Yes, they are turned in the right direction. And I did try moving it aft a bit. It seems to fit better, but the boat end up looking pear shaped. I guess that's fine.

Rub rail question: I ripped some old 2*4s dad had under the shed. The longest piece is maybe 5 or 6 feet long. Would that be fine for rub rails provided I butted two or three of these together?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
funbun said:
Okay, I've got the bow and stern screed and glued, and I'm ready to put in the ribs. But they don't lay flat and snug against the sides. I can get two of them to lay as they are supposed to. But last one just won't. Only one edge the touches the sides.

Just guessing on this..........
I know I should not say this but try turning it 180 degrees , the outer edges of the ribs are cut at an angle so they fit against the sides for the bow and stern. When they are correct they fit in really nice.
The rib for the center is normal , no angles to the out side parts of it , just the angle of the uprights.

The sides of the boat should not be the problem and you will have a little wave in the sides till the rub rails are on the boat to true them out. The two ribs for the front and back should be spaced the same distance from the center rib to the ends of the boat , dividing the boat into thirds.

If that is not the problem then check to make sure you put them ( The ribs ) together as directed by the kit designer.

For the rub rails I use the 1/4 inch thick by 1 1/4 inch wide pine lattice strips the length of the boat.

One last thought..... If none of the above works then use some clamps and put on the outside rub rail , that will more of less form the shape of the boat and then try the rib that does not want to fit in there like it should, Sometimes there is a slight gap but not anything major.

The amount of epoxy and wood flour should make no difference as long as the bottom was cut to the proper dimensions along with the sides. If the sides were off on the length then your bow and stern would be off center and rather noticeable. The height of the sides would make no difference except for being to high.

Chuck.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
For the rub rails I use the 1/4 inch thick by 1 1/4 inch wide pine lattice strips the length of the boat.

Can you get that from Lowes or something?

And yes the ribs turned correctly so the bevel sit supposed to sit flush. I think I just need to move it aft a bit and trust rub rails to shape it up.