Hennessy Hammocks | SouthernPaddler.com

Hennessy Hammocks

jboc

Jun 15, 2009
Welcome to me(first post here).

Reading your comments about the Hennessy Hammocks has gotten me interested in using one. However, I'm having trouble convincing myself to spend $200 to try something I may not like and it won't have much use outside of camping. I checked the website, but couldn't find any kind of "100% Satisfaction Guarantee" or anything. Based on your reviews and others I read after reading yours, I think I'll like it, but I just can't get past gambling with $200 of my hard earned money. Any ideas?

Also, is there that much difference in the Explorer model and the Safari(?) to pay the extra $$?

Thanks.

Jbo

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jbo... Welcome to the nut house.

To answer some of your questions. The Safari Deluxe is larger then the Explorer and it will hold more weight then the Explorer. I do not know your size or weight so that decision is up to you. As oldyaker put it , the Safari deluxe is a Holiday Inn while the Explorer is a Motel Six. They both offer what you are looking for which is a good nights sleep. He started with the explorer and after seeing my Safari he got one for his use.

One thing I would recommend you doing .... no matter which one or a different one you decide on but get the Hex Fly for the hammock. It does offer a lot more rain protection then the standard rain fly.

Depending on where you are located there are dealers for the hammocks , if you could find a dealer close to you and have him demonstrate the hammock , including you getting in it and trying it would be a good way to make that decision. One such dealer is Joe (Lazyriverguy) who owns the Ocklawaha River Outpost at Eureka , Fl.

You might want to call Tom or Ann at Hennessey Hammocks and ask if there is a dealer close to you. They are some good folks and are always willing to help a person.

You are correct , there use is mainly for camping but some of the guys hang theirs at home (In the back yard to take a nap in ). As far as camping , no pillows , ground cloths , air mattresses are just a few things that can be left at home. Out camping all you need are two trees , and forget what the ground is like under them , it does not matter since you will not be sleeping on it. In cool weather it is nice to have a thin pad under the sleeping bag to keep the warmth in.

If you are not sure if you would like a hammock then you can do like some of the guys on here and make your own hammock to see if that is something you care to sleep in. Only difference between them and the Hennessey is that you can sleep on your side in the Hennessey and it comes with bug and rain protection.

Chuck.

jboc

Jun 15, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm in Albany, GA. I'll look for a dealer but I'd bet there isn't one near here. Maybe they have one I could demo at REI the next time I'm in Atlanta.

I had been considering getting a one man tent for some minimalist canoe camping when I read the reviews on the HH. The cost is similar to a really good single man tent and I think I'll appreciate all the things you mentioned. Like I said, my biggest concern is dropping the $200 and finding it isn't for me(but I think it will be).

I'm about 90% convinced to shell out the dough.

Thanks.

Jbo

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Drop islandpiper a line. He bought one for something like $109.00 plus $5.00 shipping. Don't know if was a second or anything. He brought it this weekend and it is a quality piece. Hint: If you get one, do a lot of experimenting in the yard with sleeping bags, pads, pillows and such. Hammock camping has a certain learning curve and you want to get it all ironed out before you get out on a couple of day trip. And, mosquitoes WILL bite through the hammock bottom into bare skin, ask piper. :(

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Hammock camping takes a lot less room in a boat then with a tent and everything you need for the tent. Plus the hammock is a lot cooler then those sweat lodges called tents here in the south during the summer which is about 11 months out of the year.

As Joey said it is a quality item and Tom does have sales on them during the year. You do need a blanket under you in the Hennessey since the skeeters can bite threw it. I forgot that because I use a U.S.Army wool blanket or a woven nylon thermal blanket inside the hammock. It helps to reduce the loss of body heat threw the bottom of the hammock if there is nothing there.

Only hammock I know of that advertises that it is 100% skeeter proof is the Clark Jungle Hammock. I have one ( The Tropical) but have not tried it ...YET.... Out camping. It is comfortable here in the back yard. :D So I can't say if there ads are true or not. I have had the Hennessey for a long time and it has been used a lot , it is still as good as the day Tom sent it to me.

The reason for the Clark is that it is a side entry and I got it to replace a tent which was destroyed on the Brazos River by one of those little Texas rains and winds from a Tornado. They said it was 90 mph winds that we had. :roll:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6251

I like hammocks and wanted to try the Clark so I could post what one is like , we use the items we tell folks about on here.

Found it .. Here is the list of the dealers in the States for the Hennessey Hammocks.
http://hennessyhammock.com/usa.html

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Unlike other hammocks the Hennessey can't be set up to tight.
There is a ridge line running the length of it so you can put the straps around a tree and run the hammocks line threw them , then cinch it down and it is set up the same tightness everytime. The only thing you can do is to set it up to loose which I never have seen anyone do. :roll:

The ridge line has a mesh pocket attached to it which is a good place to put a small flashlight , your glasses and anything else you want in a arms reach.

What I call the main disadvantage is the end entry. Especially in the cooler times of the year when you are using a sleeping bag. I did find a trick to it.
When you get in everything wants to slide to where you are entering and sitting. What i do is to fold the top part of my bag over a thin foam rubber mat so when I get it positioned and sit on it it stays in place , then lay down , put my feet in the end of the bag and zip it up. Everything is in place that way. ( When it is cooler outside you do want something between the bag and the hammock , any hammock used for camping. Your weight compresses the bag and all the insulation factor is shot in the fanny and there is nothing but air under you, cold air. The mat , or what ever you use , is for insulation and not protecting you from rocks or roots. A thin one works great.)

Jack gets his mummy bag on , part way ( out side the hammock) and then lays down in the hammock. Everyone has a different style of doing that.

One person on a trip got turned around in theirs and ended up over the Velcro strip that closes when you get in it , he made a not so graceful exit. It is advisable to not turn around 180 degrees in it when sleeping. :lol:

jboc

Jun 15, 2009
All the pics I see with the rain fly in place look like they have no visibility outside the hammock. Is that right?

Can you set it up so that you can see side to side or does that compromise the effectiveness of the rain protection?

I'd really miss being able to see out.

Jbo

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Yo Chuck.

I am typing here, rather than PM, so everyone will see your answer.

I have been looking at hammocks lately and wanted your opinion. After reading everything I could find about ALL brands of hammocks. I am about to drop some $$$$ on the Clark North American; I think.

Do you, with your limited experience with the Clark, think it is worth the $$$ over and above the other "major brand" that is highly thought of around here ?. I am concerned about the "bottom entry" style since it is possible that I may have to use the hammock like a tent in some circumstances if there are no trees near the river sand-bar.

NOW: Before you go off on a "don't ask me about spending your money and then get angry if you don't agree with me rant :) . Allow me to say, I don't get angry. I think I just need a bit of re-assurance.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You can set the rain fly to any angle which you like. If the weather is nice it can be left off. On one trip down the Ocklawaha River we were camping at Osceola Landing and Joe ( Paddlin'Gator) and I set up our hammocks. The weather was warm but not hot and there was a refreshing breeze coming off the river so the fly on the one side of the hammock was at 90 degrees with the ground. Just tied it off to two trees as an awning. The other side was at about a 45 degree angle to the ground. They both could of been tied off to create a 12 x12 awning for the hammock.
The Hex fly is basically ( For better words) a 12 x 12 tarp and offers a lot of choices for the camper , depending on the weather. I put my dry bags and stuff under the hammock and rain fly for protection over night. :D

Even at a 45 degree when you are in it it does offer visibility and like you that is the one thing I enjoy. I want to be able to see what is going on or just enjoy the night. What was that sound.... Yep one night I woke up thinking it was a tank coming up to the hammock , Just an Armadillo and he walked right under me as I lay there for a spell looking at him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
a Bald Cypress said:
Yo Chuck.

I am typing here, rather than PM, so everyone will see your answer.

I have been looking at hammocks lately and wanted your opinion. After reading everything I could find about ALL brands of hammocks. I am about to drop some $$$$ on the Clark North American; I think.

Do you, with your limited experience with the Clark, think it is worth the $$$ over and above the other "major brand" that is highly thought of around here ?. I am concerned about the "bottom entry" style since it is possible that I may have to use the hammock like a tent in some circumstances if there are no trees near the river sand-bar.

More then happy to answer your question. :D

On the one St.Marys trip I used the Eagles Nest Hammock which is nothing more then a open hammock for camping. All I had over it was a rain fly. The thing I enjoyed the most was the ability of getting in and out of it like I do with my own bed about 3 or 4 times a night to make a bathroom visit. Beer and Ice tea before bed does that to you , ya know. Age has nothing to do with it :lol:

That made me think of the old Jungle Hammock I use to use and still have. It does not offer a lot of weather protection and is rather old ( like me ) so I thought the Clark would be a modern day version of it and it is. A lot of improvements and side entry , either side with weather protection , 100% bug proof including skitters biting threw the bottom or so they say. I can't say Yes or No on that right now. :oops: With the Clark I can unzip the bug net and stow it at the foot of the hammock for open sleeping , the Hennessey you can't.
The Hennessey offers more room then the Clark but they are two different animals on how they are made/designed.

Both the Clark and the Hennessey can be rigged as a tent if push comes to shove. The main thing , not forgetting the cost but going with which do you like an end entry or a side entry. Either one will give you a lot of comfortable sleeping.

They are both high quality items and like anything worth while you get what you pay for. They both pack up about the same size ( the ones I have , Hennessey Safari and the Clark Tropical) and they both have advantages over each other.

Not the best answer ..... but it boils down to what do you like. :D

Lets not forget the Lawson Blue Ridge Hammock. It is one that still uses the spreader bars at the ends and when as a hammock offers a lot of room but no visibility when the rain fly is attached to it. On the ground it would be a semi standing tent. Just peg out the ends and it would be a Bivy or small tent with one side door. It does pack up a lot longer then the others due to the aluminum shock corded poles it requires.

Chuck. ( As my wife likes to remind me of ... You have a small sporting and camping goods store here , women no respect for camping gear)

As far as the Clark
. I liked the Tropical that Clark has over the North American , you can get the storm shield for the Tropical but the North American does not have the drop down hood at the head of it for more ventilation like the Tropical does.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jboc said:
All the pics I see with the rain fly in place look like they have no visibility outside the hammock. Is that right?

Can you set it up so that you can see side to side or does that compromise the effectiveness of the rain protection?

I'd really miss being able to see out.

Jbo

Thinking about what you said...... An Eagles Nest Hammock under a tarp and with there bug netting around it might do the trick for you.

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/

Bald Cypress made me think of that when answering his question. The Eagles Nest Hammock is comfortable and I sleep on my side in it. With the bug netting you would be out of the bugs since it covers the whole hammock ... All the way around it. The tarp over head can be set any way you want it from an "A" Frame to an awning configuration. Everything offering a lot of visibility and up off the ground sleeping.
Plus the whole mess packs up , the hammock and the bug netting , about the size of two large Grapefruits. Not sure about the tarp , it would be a bigger package depending on what you got. :wink:

Chuck
Just throwing out some suggestions........

islandpiper

Interesting thread. Lots of experience in all the guys who are answering the questions. If jack was on, there'd be an electron-shortage because he'd throw in his two cents worth , too.

Yup, the skeeters do bite through a HH. They look in the top, mesh part, to see where you are and then they fly under and get you.

The conditions were HOT HOT HOT in the swamp.....i'm guessing up near ninety till ten PM or so. I had a fleece bag along, great lightweight bag for most times, but 100 times more than needed last weekend. So, the plan was to sleep ON it. Well.....no foam pad to tuck in over, and no way to get the fleece to "anti-grav" and stay up in the head end of the bag. So......with some tossing and turning, and reaching and pulling, and sweating and cursing I eventually got most of it under most of me.

Joey and i used three trees for two hammocks and between him tossing and turning and me tossing and turning that poor middle tree took a beating. No sharing trees after this.

At about three AM on Monday morning I reached up and found that the peak line has some sort of knot or loop WAY UP where all the fabric is gathered together. I am about to look at it here at home without all the buzzing and biting and see if i can put a clip and little elastic line there which will hold the blanket or sleeping bag or pad, whatever. I may velcro in a similar clip to hold the foot-end off to the right side.

I found that I could see out fine, with the fly rigged high. I'd like a velcro hand-slot up near elbow level where the mesh meets the hammock in case i have to stick a .357 our during the night and shoot grizzley bears.

piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
How's the skeeter bites, Piper? You would not believe the bites he had on his arms in the tricep area. No less than a hundred on each arm. Sorry to put you through that, buddy. We'll do it in cooler weather next time.

Joey

islandpiper

I got a picture of the areas that took the abuse. May post it if things get boring.

Hey, here's a news flash: IF YOU ROLL A MOSQUITO UP IN A HENNESSEY HAMMOCK FOR 36 HOURS AND THEN LET HIM OUT, HE'LL BE MAD AS HELL AND HUNGRY.

I know this to be fact......no boat science here.....

piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend jbo,

Dont buy nuthin' til we git this worked out. Ya aim ta use yer hammock in hot weather when skeeters iz on a rampage....'er when it iz cold 'n they aint tryin' ta drain ya?

regards
bearridge

Beelzebug (n.): Satan in the form of a mosquito, that gets into your bedroom at three in the morning and cannot be cast out.

jboc

Jun 15, 2009
It'll be used 3 seasons for me. Somebody suggested I consider making my own for kicks. I found somebody who posted "plans" for his home made version of a HH and will likely try that too. Speaks to my need to know how to make things for myself - boats, stoves, food, etc. I told my son this morning we'll get the stuff and make one (plain) one for each of us this weekend. If that works well, I'll try the home made HH. If that works out, I can make myself one for each season. My wife will be thrilled. :D

There is a thread or two here about making your own, but I never did see the final product. The pictures don't show on older posts for me.

Thanks for all the discussion. I'm picking up a lot.

Jbo

islandpiper

jboc, that's the ticket. You stick with us and YOU'LL PICK UP A LOT. (After the initial scratching and symptoms it won't be too bad).

Jdupre's home made hammock is shown in the thread telling about our recent pirogue adventure. He and I can both send you more pics too. HIs is all Walmart fabric department nylon and webbing and mesh. Side entry type.

I'd love to share pics of our stoves, too. I think everyone here makes some of their own gear.

If you have a machine and can sew there are lots more possibilities open to you.

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jboc....

If you are referring to the posts that I think you are , no one can see them since Photo bucket is not showing them. All you get is that disgusting little square saying the picture is not available. :twisted:

I was going to post the link for the article till I noticed the pictures were gone.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
jboc said:
It'll be used 3 seasons for me.
Good. No sense tryin' ta hammock after the hot weather rolls in.

Makin' yer own hammock like Joey done iz a good idea, but I come up with anuther one. Buy a ENO single nest 'n a Cooke tarp (or the large Hennessy fly). Ya caint make a tarp like Cooke 'n will be mitey glad ya sprung fer it.....use it many ways, over any kinda hammock 'er jest fer shelter. If ya dont like sleepin' in the ENO, keep it fer lazy days round the yard 'er at the campground next ta yer tent when yer car campin'? Then buy a Hennessy or a Clark, dependin' on whether the Clark gits the Geezer Seal?

Ya gamble $55 on the ENO single nest. No gamble on the Cooke tarp. I think Swamprat iz bout ta buy the four panel Cooke fer hiz Hennessy. I am reconsiderin' my Hennessy plans. I may take my new ENO with my Cooke.....if it aint too big. A four panel mite be better. The idea of buyin' anuther Cooke tarp puts a smile on my face. Spendin' money dont usually do that. Aye Laddie.

regards
bearridge

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.  Patrick Henry

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The Eagle Nest Rain Fly I am very unhappy with since it leaves a lot to be desired on coverage due to the cut of it. It has to be set close to the hammock to offer protection when you are in the hammock and the hammock is lower due to the weight of the camper. That is why I suggested a tarp in place of it like Bear suggested.
In humid conditions your breath condensates on the under side of the rain fly causing an wet cover on the inside. A tarp set up higher would cancel that problem out.
Then if bugs are out attach one of there bug nets ( which encloses the whole hammock ) so no bugs can get to any part of you.
One other thing which was nice , I set my camping chair next to the hammock and anything needed during the night was right there at an arms reach.

Yes there is a ENO Single nest under the rain fly. :roll:

Dec08%20008.jpg

Using there slap straps it is a quick hammock to set up , Put the straps around a tree , run the small end threw the large end and snug it down.
Attach a cabaner (SP)
2.jpg

that is on the hammock to one of the loops on the slap strap and do the same on the other end , you have the hammock up.

This is the hammock in its stuff sack , the bug netting is the same size.
1b.jpg

Chuck.