Hennessy Hammocks | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Hennessy Hammocks

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jboc said:
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm in Albany, GA. I'll look for a dealer but I'd bet there isn't one near here. Maybe they have one I could demo at REI the next time I'm in Atlanta.

I had been considering getting a one man tent for some minimalist canoe camping when I read the reviews on the HH. The cost is similar to a really good single man tent and I think I'll appreciate all the things you mentioned. Like I said, my biggest concern is dropping the $200 and finding it isn't for me(but I think it will be).

I'm about 90% convinced to shell out the dough.

Thanks.

Jbo

Jack , Here is what Jbo posted.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
bearridge said:
...I been strugglin' with anuther Cooke.....10' x 14'. I like all them little tabs 'n the special canoe t-grip reinforced loop system in the middle. When I get ta look at that Clifford Jacobs video agin, I will likely be slam fulla new ideas on how ta tie that tarp off...
Br'r Bear,

I have two of Dan Cooke's flies, a 10'X12' and a 10'X14'. The 10'X12' is probably sufficient, as I've had it over picnic tables w/ 5-6 guys sitting around, in the rain, for several days at a time. I've used it to cover a Hennessy and a standard picnic table sitting right along side the hammock. And, I've used it across the Hennessy instead of the regular rain fly. I agree with Chuck that it is hard to beat the hex fly, and this one does. It can not only replace the hex, it can do much more besides.

I got a 14 footer just to give me a bit bigger "covered patio" beside the hammock. While I enjoy the added room, it isn't necessary, just nicer. You're also correct that the loops and center pole gripper are good features. Go to http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.htm and you can see the "tarp origami" that is possible. I thank Gerry Morin for showing me this site; he's an olde camper from way back. He's the one who taught both Ethan Allen and Davy Crockett how to shoot.

I've rigged these flies over 25, unique and distinct ways. AND, they are silent in the wind. Damned poly-tarps will drive a dead man crazy.

If you order one, I also advise that you get an 80 hunk of rope along with it. He sells both the reflective, and non-reflective. I really value the reflective as it shows up brightly in the dark if any light is shined on it. This makes it highly visible at night. And it is a bright yellow so it is also highly visible in daylight. Another 80' chunk of non-reflective will also be welcome in camp. I cut each 80' into eight chunks: 2 ea 20' 2ea 10' and 4 ea 5'. These work well in a wide variety of camps.

I met Dan a couple years ago; tell him Kayak Jack sent you. He and his Son both use their gear when they paddle and camp, so when they design - or redesign - gear, there is a definite reason.

jboc

Jun 15, 2009
Thanks, Piper. That's the site that started me on this quest to make my own hammock. It's a goodern as 'bear might say.

I'm ready with material, but I can't get my wife to slow down long enough to show me how to work the sewing machine.

Jbo

jboc

Jun 15, 2009
OK. Late update.

I've made two Speer style hammocks this week. They are great. Will be ordering supplies soon to build a Hennessy clone. Since I can do it, I'll do the labor and save the $$$.

Thanks for the help.

Jbo