Hervey Bay Whales (Humpbacks) Pic Intense. | SouthernPaddler.com

Hervey Bay Whales (Humpbacks) Pic Intense.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Miz Robin and I finally got our act together yesterday and went whale watching.

Hervey Bay claims to be Australia's whale watching capitol of the world and is only about 30 minutes drive away from us. There is a huge fleet of very nice commercial vessels dedicated to the enterprise and cater to visitors from around the globe. Other areas of our east coast also lay claim to the title but Hervey Bay is the only place where the whales actually stop and rest for a while. Everywhere else, they are just passing through. The fleet, consists of mostly multi-national and resort owned vessels that are very slick in both their manner of operation, their marketing and their approach to the business in general.

There are, however alternatives :D - locally and family owned and operated enterprises that are genuine in their desire to promote OUR whales and like likewise in their love of these magnificent animals. Their vessels are at least as good as the big guys and their service and the experience they offer is second to none.

The humbacks call in to the sheltered waters of the bay on their annual migration from Antarctica to rest, play and some believe to give birth. at any rate, there are a lot of very young whales there each year.

Arrived at the marina at 0730 for boarding. :D

http://www.herveybaywhalewatch.com.au/

A symbol of a bygone era

Mickswhalepiccies002-1.jpg

Seemed it was "pirates" day on the boat. Captain and crew are all family and their passion for their game was infectious.

Mickswhalepiccies005.jpg

This is one of the "slick" outfits I mentioned.
P1040219137.jpg

and this is the "crowd" on our little boat. 8) with a nice little landcape for my good friend bear. :lol:

P1040128046.jpg

more to come

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Forecast for the day was light NE winds and good cloud cover - perfect. 8)

H'Bay in the distance 8)

P1040103021.jpg

Arrived in Platypus Bay, at the northern end of Hervey Bay to whales playing everywhere! 8)

enjoy. 8)

P1040138056.jpg

P1040142060.jpg

Two adults and a youngun

P1040305223.jpg

P1040397315.jpg

P1040441359.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
All too soon, and about 3gb of piccies later, our day was coming to a close. We left the whales still playing on the surface and our captain was kind enough to make the run back to Hervey bay (about 30 miles) along the inside of Fraser Island which is in itself, a very special place.

whalewatching147.jpg

We passed some real nice little creeks,

P1040518436.jpg

and future camping spots,

P1040521439.jpg

and classic old 'Bay boats 8)

P1040546464.jpg

back to the marina to a sumptuous meal and some sensory overload.

Mickswhalepiccies024.jpg

Mickswhalepiccies023.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed our little adventure.

Mickswhalepiccies019.jpg

whalewatching109.jpg

Love,

Robin & Mick

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Mick and Miz Robin,
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I could almost smell the armpit in a couple of those whale photos! (I was referring to the whales, Mick, don't get testy!)
And the last few, that you apoligized for, I like about the best!
A great array of "piccies"!
Thanks again!

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Sir Mick:
THANK YOU Val and I love to watch the critures of the deep. The shots you and Miz Robin got were great. Wish some day to stand on the deck of a nice boat and watch with you 2.
Again Thank you for the pics.
Joe & Val

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Nice pichurs.....yer landscape work gits better'n better. :mrgreen: What vacation ya'll got planned fer next week? :lol: :lol: :lol: How bout jest some pichurs of the town where ya'll live?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Wow!

Thanks a lot guys.

Yesterday was sort of a revelation to me. I have allways just taken our whales for granted - often seen them in the bay but never really "looked" at them.

These guys have enjoyed protected fauna status in our waters for allmost 40 years now. It broke my heart to see them interacting with all the people yesterday - and yes, they were doing exactly that, and then to think that when they head back south, they will be running the guntlet of Japanese harpoons - again.

Be very clear on this, the Japanese are hunting OUR protected whales in Australian Territorial waters and they are killing hundreds - probably thousands of them each year. I am not sure who to despise the most, the Japanese whalers for killing them, or our spineless government for allowing it to happen. (This is worth an entire new rant on its own) - sorry. :oops:

Bear mate,

Workin on some home town piccies at the moment :D will post em here tonight. :p

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks again guys.

My friend Bear,

Here ya go mate.

The main street of my little town, Torbanlea, :D (looking north west.

HairiesHome001.jpg

Same place - looking the other way.

HairiesHome002.jpg

Our shopping centre, a pub, service/gas station and barber. (butcher, baker and candle stick maker moved out years ago :p )

HairiesHome004.jpg

HairiesHome005.jpg

This is the main street, of the other town in my area (Howard) and is a couple of miles away, on the wrong side of the river. :lol:

HairiesHome006.jpg

Both towns serviced the Burrum Coal Fields here in their heyday. The mines are all closed now and both towns pretty much, became backwaters.
This suits me just fine.

Oh yeah, about the only other point of note is our War Memorial Cenotaph in Howard.

HairiesHome007.jpg