Hey it floats! | SouthernPaddler.com

Hey it floats!

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
Took the "Pee Ro" out for the first time this morning and I didn't sink!:D

No seriously the boat did great and paddle just fine. I took it to Juniper Run and paddle down stream about a mile or so and then turned around. Of course go down stream was a breeze and coming back wasn't to bad except when I got into heavy current and she wanted to go a different direction.

All in all it paddle alot better than a Solo Canoe I had and really wasn't that tippy.

Here are the pictures...
IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0611-1.jpg

And then on the way back to the house I decided to stop by at Lake Dorr (Spelling is correct) and see how it tracked in calm waters. I think if I can find a cheap kayak rudder I may add one but until then I can live with the way it paddles and tracks.

IMG_0618-1.jpg

IMG_0616-1.jpg

IMG_0617-1.jpg

Again thanks for all the help and I will be building more in the future.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The run looks like it is up a little but it is always a good place to paddle. I prefer to go up stream and then coast back down stream. Did I ever say that I'm lazy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some good looking water to go with a good looking pirogue , glad you enjoyed your paddle with it , they are some fun boats and as with any boat it takes a few times on the water to really get to know how it handles.

I still get a kick out of the pictures of the pirogues on the water and how they look like they are not touching it. ( Can you say shallow draft)
IMG_0608.jpg

How about doing some copying and pasting of this post over to the boat Bragging section and if you would like to sending the kid /plans designer some pictures and a short narrative. I am sure Uncle John would like it.

Chuck.
PS. Tell the old goat HI for me.

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
Yeah the run was up a little but man the place has really been trashed by the swimmers and airboats that go up in there.

I was going to go to Alexander run but there are more places to get out at Juniper.

Might take it back out this evening for some Panfish fishing :D

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Way to go spud! :D :D :D
(I meant "stud!" :lol: )

That first little trip in a boat YOU built will always be special. And it does look just great!

Just one question, is that a kayak paddle in the boat? I found those work much better for me, than a single-blade canoe paddle.

And since you didn't answer my question about my "stealing" your method of bringing that graphite up the side at the ends, I'm taking it that you don't mind. (I'm kind of evil that way. :twisted: )

If you're anything like me at all, I'm betting you have a whole list of places to take that boat. When you do, post plenty of pictures in the "Trip Report" section of the Forum. It's fun to drive those Yankee's green with envy when they see our "everyday scenery." 8)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
FlaMike said:
... If you're anything like me at all, I'm betting you have a whole list of places to take that boat...
FUNNY you should mention. That's one of the things I do too.

Yep, But they are not down here in the fishing capital of the world or as we like to call it ... EDEN.

You know , the land that was created after all the rest of the mistakes were made so he knew how to improve everything and declared it as the best place to be for paddling an camping. Especially in the winter, forget the %&(*%#@*%# summers , they use to be nice till the Yankees invaded us.

Chuck.

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
oldsparkey said:
Kayak Jack said:
FlaMike said:
... If you're anything like me at all, I'm betting you have a whole list of places to take that boat...
FUNNY you should mention. That's one of the things I do too.

Yep, But they are not down here in the fishing capital of the world or as we like to call it ... EDEN.

You know , the land that was created after all the rest of the mistakes were made so he knew how to improve everything and declared it as the best place to be for paddling an camping. Especially in the winter, forget the %&(*%#@*%# summers , they use to be nice till the Yankees invaded us.

Chuck.

AMEN to all that!

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Glenn,

That is a bloody brilliant effort mate. A great boat in just nine days work and then, you post piccies of it in some truly beautiful water. Well done!

I keep showing piccies of you guys lovely pirogues to anybody who will look. This one is something special, I think. I reckon you might just qualify as one of our young geezers. :D Welcome to the fold.

Enjoy your new boat mate and please post lots of piccies of her and the places she takes you.

junebug

Apr 4, 2008
North Delta, MS
Zydeco 16 pirogue by Applegate Boatworks

Hello everyone. I am a huge fan of this forum and have been trying to take in all the great advice that so many of you give so generously. I have been trying to decide on some plans to use for my first build and was wondering if anyone here has built the Zydeco 16. I see a lot of UJ's and really like the looks of both. Any pictures or replies will be appreciated. Thanks.

Junebug

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend junebug,

Yer in the rite place.....less yer in Marks 'er Crowder. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever. Chinese Proverb

junebug

Apr 4, 2008
North Delta, MS
Hello Bearridge,

Thanks for the welcome. Sounds like you know your way around the North Delta. I look forward to joining in the fun and sharing on the forum.

Junebug

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Junebug,

If you plan to build a boat and include your two Sons, you re going to discover an interesting phenomenon. You won't be building a boat with the boys - you will be building boys with a boat.

In years to come, you, the boys, and their Mom will come to recognize and remember this as an influential event in their lives. It will be a catalyst - as well as a vehicle - for many good times, lessons learned, memories, and maybe even a fish or two.

As my good friend Mick says, "Good on ya, mate!"

junebug

Apr 4, 2008
North Delta, MS
Thank you Kayak Jack! I have been feeling the same way while I have been researching this project for a while. We hope to get started on the boat soon and put it to use this summer exploring some of the oxbow lakes in the area after the Mississippi returns to a more normal level.

Junebug