History Lesson | SouthernPaddler.com

History Lesson

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Starting in 1755, French settlers were exiled by the British from Nova Scotia to the American colonies. Many found their way to south Louisiana and later became known as Acadians (or Cajuns). The saga of the deportation was romantically described in Longfellow's poem "Evangeline".

The town of St. Martinville has an annual festival commemorating "Le Grande Derangement". They re enact the arrival of the first settlers and of Longfellow's heroine.

Here's a picture of a 17th century rowing skiff that Keith and I built a couple of years ago.

ea47dba8.jpg

Some came by bateau............

ea47db38.jpg

Others came by pirogue...........

ea47dae4.jpg

ea47da9a.jpg

ea47da57.jpg

I showed with the heroine of the poem Evangeline....

ea47da19.jpg

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
Thanks "SeedTick". Awesome History and awesome boats.... Man! ...I really like that "bateau". Thanks. Now, I'll be sittin' here a couple hours researching 'em. :lol:

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
English and French words get interwoven in the same sentences sometimes. Sorry. Around here a bateau is a flat bottomed boat that's squared off at each end. In other places they're known as Joe boats or Jon boats.

If you like bateaus, here's eye candy for you

ea47d9de.jpg

This was the style from the early 1900's until outboards became common in the 1950's. They're 3 to 4 feet wide, 20 to 25 feet long, powered by inboard marine (2 cycle) engines.

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
Thanks "SeedTick". I guess I just always expect a "JonBoat", to look like an "Elongated Generic Aluminum Washtub", with an outboard strapped on out back. Those wooden JonBoats with the partial decks are really nice lookin. Look to be real functional also. Thanks again

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
hey seedtick nice looking boats. unless my puter is malfunctioning the 3rd & 4th ones look like they are drawing alot of water. :shock: (catfish)

keith

Those pirogues have about 600 pounds in them and the draft is about 5 to 6 inches. Thats why we wonder why youll would want 12 inch sides, its extra wood and weight, its not really free boards, its extra boards.

Those ars fish holes in the jon boats. you made the compartments to fit your craft and yes they cought a lot of fish. Before we had the engines, the rowing skiff was the family vehicle and the pirogue was the work boat. If the kid got sick, you may have to row 30 miles to the doc, sleep on the sand bar and row 30 miles back the next day. The river is "Bayou Teche". Later Keith

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys, :shock: :shock:

I just found this thread.

With a pointy bow, those inboard Bateaus seem to be identical to what our professional gill net fishermen used to use all up and down our east coast.
Vast, shallow flats systems and salt lakes.

Ours were generally powered by single or twin cylinder, low horsepower low revving four strokes. They were commonly called put,puts because of the put put put sound they used to make.

This style of boat is now enjoying a sort of revival here with enthusiasts restoring old scrapped motors and building new boats. :D :D

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Hey Mick,

They're also called put, puts here for the same reason. They were built in a variety of types including skiffs (pointed front end)

ea1622f3.jpg

ea16224f.jpg

but most were bateau type (squared front end)

ea16233e.jpg

ea162298.jpg

ea1621f0.jpg

Mostly they were one and two cylinder two cycle engines. A two cycle engine doesn't care which way it rotates, so having a two cycle engine eliminates the need for a transmission. Building these old style boats and finding and rebuilding the old engines is catching here in south LA.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
mick & seedtick are these motors sorta the same as what they call a hit & miss. what did they run on gas or what fuel? also did they have a reserve. the old outboards had one direction & u turn the tiller 180.

nice looking swamp boats . :) (cat)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks for the piccies Seedtick. they bring back a lot of very fond memories.

Catfish, The real early motors here ran on kerosene.

They then moved on to very low octane petrol.

The 4 stroke motors were low compression, low revving and very low tech. Many were side valve and had magneto ignition.

I have a very old Austral 2hp motor in the shed somewhere that is complete and was still going when I aquired it. I think it might sit real nice in a 15 footer, or something along those lines, only with a true displacement hull.

I think I can feel another project coming on. :D :oops:

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Cat,
They're not quite the same as hit and miss. The hit and miss engines had sort of a governor arrangement that allowed the engine to fire (hit) until a set rpm was reached then the engine would not fire (miss)until it slowed down to a set rpm and then the engine would fire again until it got up to speed. These engines run on gas and oil mixture and you adjust the timing to maintain the rpm you want. They're two cycle and don't have an oil sump. They don't have a reverse, they run backward or forward, depending on which direction the flywheel is turning.

Mick,
These old two cycles don't have a magneto, they run with a buzz coil like the early Fords. Keith and I have one old four cycle, it was made by U S Falcon and sold in 1932 by Sears & Roebuck under the name MotorGo. Here's a pic of the put put we're building, the engine is an 8 Hp, two cycle Nadler.

ea3aea3d.jpg

If there's anything we can do to help you in your new project, let us know.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Seedtick,

I am back. I spent the day on the river with my Dad today and was telling him about how I found an american site on the computor where a bunch of blokes are building putter boats again and restoring the old motors.

You should have seen his eyes light up. He looked round at his little aluminium dingy with its dinky little Japanese outboard. He snorted at his motor, ( did I mention that he hates all things Japanese) even though his little 9.8hp runs beautifully and these were his exact words. :D

You wanna talk to those blokes boy (I am in my mid 50s and he still calls me boy) :twisted: Learn from them as much as you can, and build one. This isn't a real boat, Ya need something about 18 feet long made of wood and a proper inboard motor made in Australia.

OK, so I am hooked.

I have never built an inboard boat so, if you don't mind, I will be asking lots of questions in the near future. Fist I have to knock up another shed.
I am thinking that my little 2hp Austral is going to be too small. will start scrounging round and see what I can find. There used to be lots of old putter boats lying round in peoples back yards.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the links mate (both here and email) :D

Olds engineering is in Maryborough.

I am not sure if they are still making their marine engines though. The place is a working museum. :D All their machinery is driven by 3 inch solid shafts running along beams in the roof, in turn, driving flat leather belts to the various machines.

Their shop and all their gear is in immacculate condition and is a true show piece of times gone by. The place is kept spotless by a crew of very special tradesmen who are steadfast in their defence of the old ways.

Did you know that when they were in full production, they made everything for their engines on the premises? including casting and machining the iron blocks, heads, crank-shafts, camshafts, flywheels etc. ?
From what I have heard, they are not doing much in the way of engines anymore.

Next time I am in town, I will call in to see about a 6hp motor and ask if they would mind if I took a few piccies.

That 4.26 metre job at at the top of your first link looks very appealing to me.

BTW ,I have just sold another of my fibreglass boats so I am getting more and more room in the shed.