Hit by the fever | SouthernPaddler.com

Hit by the fever

spikec

Mar 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
I bought my wife a couple of kayaks for her birthday so we could spend some time away from the kids doing something we both used to do as kids, but forgot how much we liked it:

the_past.jpg

Nice little boats, until I came across this awesome web site. Building a boat was something I've always wanted to do, and you guys lit the fire under my arse to actually go do it. I ordered a UJ kit last week and have been busy trying to get it afloat. The rub rails went on today:

1.jpg

4.jpg

I also ordered Chick's seat plans, and found it a good way to pass the time while waiting for epoxy to cure. I put the bottom section inside the pirogue to see how it looks:

2.jpg

Tommorow I will move it off the workbench and scarf together my bottom pieces. In the meantime, here's a few things I've learned:

- Wax paper is your friend when working with epoxy. I like it better than plain plastic because any drips you get show up better, making it easier to avoid making a mess of things.

- Expoxy will end up on your hands no matter how many pairs of gloves you put on. It will also end up on your drill, your clamps, etc.

- It is tough to get the exact proportion of epoxy resin to hardener with just a plain mixing cup. The graduated ones I have call for a min. of 3 oz., and sometimes you need only half that. I should have ordered the pumps from Raka. Some of my mixes have lasted for 20-25mins, some more, some less. It seems that when I add micro-balloons and wood filler, it cures quicker. No worries though, it all works out the same in the end.

-Scarf joints are a PITA, but doable. My pirogue measures 14'10 instead of the 15'+ I had originally planned due to screwing up the scarfs on my first attempt. Speaking of scarfs, I first tried doing them with an electric planer, but it mulched the lauan pretty good. The belt sander is the way to go, imho. Since I burned mine out last fall building my garage, I picked up a dirt cheap one at Big Lots for $35 --works like a champ.

-You can't have enough clamps. The green ones in the pictures sell for a buck each at HD - a cheap alternative to those expensive woodworker clamps. I bought twenty, thinking that would be enough -- boy was I naive...

- Although I used lauan, I discovered a cheap source of marine plywood down the road from me: Aircrast Spruce (http://www.aircraftspruce.com). They sell okume for about half of what I've seen online. Everything else there is a ripoff though...

-It is easy to get ahead of yourself in this project. There's a ton of stuff to do, and for me alot of it was new, I made a stupid cosmetic mistake by not sanding off a pencilled-in guide line on one of the sides. I guess this will be my "artistic license" because I don't see myself sanding through the saturation coat to fix it...

mistake_one_of_many.jpg

Boat building is addictive. My wife was skeptical when I told her I was building a boat for the kids, but when she saw it today, she became a believer. (In the end , the kids will get my Stingray and I'll keep the pirogue.) She now wants me to build her a rowing shell -- anyone here ever built one of these?. Anyway, even the hounds like hanging around the shop!

dogs.jpg

I just want to thank everyone here for contributing to this site. You have made this an easy and fun thing to do. I'll post some more pics as I make futher progress. C ya!

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Spikec
Welcome to our madness :lol: The boat looks great. pencil line and all.

Hear you about the clamps. I have a bunch in three different sizes that I had bought from Harbor Freight over time. Saw those at HD a few weeks back and bought 12. Not that I had an immediate need for 12, but they were a buck a piece. And I still have room on the inside of my garage door to storing spring clamps.

I might have to warn you tho, the UJ elitist's around here may have an issue with you posting a picture of a couple of roto-molded tupperware kayaks in with your UJ build :wink: :wink: But the rest of us don't mind one bit.

Keep up the work and keep posting pictures.

DM

islandpiper

hey spikec: greetings and welcome to the epoxy pickers club. Great work, glad to have another builder on board and working. Just a couple of comments........don't get epoxy on the dogs, if you do they will go sit on the couch, guaranteed. Also, your garage is way too clean. Well, 4-5 boats into this yours will look like ours....

We expect you to dive into one of the JEM kayaks next. Your quality of workmanship will make it a piece of cake!!

Cheers, Piper

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
:lol: ...Yea I bet you get a lil' epoxy, on that cute "drowlin'" bulldog. It would jump right on the sofa to watch TV. But yea, he needs to hook up with a JEM yak. Maybe, Matt could hook up an answer to a rowing shell for him. The rowing parts are out there. Just need the shell.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I am sure that in a lot of posts on here there is the warning that building a wood boat can become habit forming , almost an obsession.
I guess it is the smell of the epoxy and fiberglass along with the sawdust. It sure can't be the fact of having a custom made boat for your use. Plus you can have the boat for a lot less then you can purchase one of the Tupperware ones for. :lol:

Don't mind dangermouse he has this thing about plastic boats in the same picture (or close ) to a picture of a wood one. I was told by his doctors he is improving and an a while should be cured and over it.

Taking about clamps ... I have enough "C" Clamps that if all of them were put in a bag it would make a good anchor for the Queen Mary and I still run short.

By the way I hope you enjoy that seat I dreamed up , it can be placed anywhere in the boat to balance it out when paddling or used out of it for a seat when camping.

Your wifes wishes for a rowing shell , CLC ( Chesapeake Light Craft )Has them but if you get with Matt (JEM Watercraft) he might be able to design one for you that would be customized to your wifes likes.

Chuck.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
oldsparkey said:
Don't mind dangermouse he has this thing about plastic boats in the same picture (or close ) to a picture of a wood one.

Oh no I dont!
Dont make me post that picture of my garage again. :lol:
I am no boat separatist. All my plastic boats live happily right along side my wooden ones right along side any fiberglass ones. Some of my favorite boats are plastic, or wood, just depends which one I am paddling at the time.
But I am thinking that I might have to build a UJ's just so I can be part of that clique. :wink:

DM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
dangermouse01 said:
oldsparkey said:
Don't mind dangermouse he has this thing about plastic boats in the same picture (or close ) to a picture of a wood one.

Oh no I dont!
Dont make me post that picture of my garage again. :lol:

DM

NO , NOT THAT .... Please forgive me for saying what I said ... just don't post that picture again , I really do not think the world could stand it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck
PS. Before you decide to build a UJ Pirogue .. you do have to get references as to your good behavior and outstanding moral character before we will let you and being on here ... just wrecked that chance for you.. :p

spikec

Mar 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
Well, got the bottom pieces scarfed together today and started some light sanding of the sides. The scarf joints get easier each time :)

Mouse, I hear ya about the plastic tubs, but they were just for effect; they look like stupid (albeit expensive) little toys next to a handcrafted boat.

Chuck, your seat is great. I built some adirondack-type furniture very similiar to it years ago. Sadly, my rotten ex-wife pitched my templates... Anyway, I built your chair out of some old cedar I had, but next time I'll use a hardwood like oak. The cedar is too splintery and one of the stringers cracked at the top.

I was planning on building the Oxford shell, but JEM guy (sorry, I forgot yor name) if you see this thread please pm me if you have any shell plans. Thanks.

spikec

Mar 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
Almost done! The bottom was graphited last weekend and now I'm just waiting a few more days before testing it in the lake:

pirogue1.jpg

pirogue2.jpg

pirogue3.jpg

pirogue4.jpg

I will be adding carrying handles soon. The hounds got a hold of them yesterday before I could epoxy them in, turning them into fetch and chew toys. Back to the workbench today...

I will add 3 coats of varnish in a week or two, then it will be done. :D Ah, who am I kidding, these things are never done. There's always something to improve...

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Az our downunder pals sez "good on ya" Spike. How much does it weigh?

respectfully
bearridge

The United States can't be so fixed on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans. Bill Clinton

spikec

Mar 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
Good question...one thing my kids and I did notice was that it got heavier and heavier with each coat of epoxy. "Conservation of Mass" law according to my know-it-all son :wink:

I'll try to get an accurate measurement. My guess is that it's heavier than most of the ones you guys build. I didn't triangle the spacers and I put 3-4 coats of epoxy inside and out.

A

Anonymous

pirouge

Spike,

I didn't see or read anything about glass. Did you use any ?

If not, do you think the epoxy alone will hold up to launch and recovery beaches ?

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Spike;
Wonderful! That looks great!!!
It looks like it IS already varnished. Had to go and re-read to find out if it was or not.

Now I am gonna have to create a new identity on this forum and get Chuck's permission to build a UJ.
Chuck if somebody going by Dangermouse02 requests to join the forum and build a UJ, he is not me. :wink: :wink: So be nice and just tell him its OK.

DM

spikec

Mar 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
Thanks for your kind words guys.

Mick, the boat is 14'10" (4.52m), mainly because I screwed up my first scarf joint and had to cut back and start over. I used the 4th rib to make it more stable. The sides are about 10 1/12" (26 2/3 cm); the 10" called for in the plan plus I mounted the rails about 1/2" above the top of the sides.

I am so tempted to put in it my pond asap, but realize the longer you let the epoxy cure, the better. So --- hw long do you guys wait?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Spike,

Thanks mate.

Re the wait, i think you can put in the next day but I would advise against it. I did this with my first two builds and got a terrible ammine blush in the finish. I don't think it hurts the integrity of the resin but really stuffs up the nice,shiny look.

It could also have something to do with the resin you use . I have changed over to West Systems Epoxy and also wait at least a week before getting the boat wet and haven't had any problems. Could be one or the other or a combination of the two. I just don't know. In any case, I would wait at least a few days from the last coat of resin.