Home Made Beef Stew.....Some Hard Work | SouthernPaddler.com

Home Made Beef Stew.....Some Hard Work

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well, it is a slow day here in the land of heat & humidity, plus it is raining so being bored to tears I decide to have some fun cooking and try out the new cooking pot.

The wife got me a Presto Kitchen Kettle or a Multi-cooker / steamer.
http://www.presto-store.com/cgi-bin/sgi ... 00&UREQA=N

Today is just the perfect time to try it out by making some Beef Stew.
Slow cooked like I did with the Dutch Oven when on the one camping trip with the guys down the Econ.
Yep they said there is NO WAY we will eat all of it ............ WRONG....it all was gone ...... They even cleaned the Dutch Oven with left over French bread, I did not have to wash a darn thing. :D

Use 2 pounds of stew beef, get the pot hot then add some olive oil and when it is nice and hot add the beef after you salt & pepper it plus shaking it around in a bag with some flour. Be careful this needs to be stirred all of the time while it is browning or it will burn and you will have a mess .... When browned to your liking add some water to cover the meat ( & a little white wine if you want to) Don't forget to turn the heat down to a simmer put the lid on and take a break. You have earned it............

Come back in about 2 hours and add an onion, chopped up and some garlic, chopped up .....check the water level...... Take a break.........
This is hard work..... :wink:

Return in about an hour or so and add some chopped up carrots and celery........ get ready for another break from all of this hard work. Remember I am retired and hate to work to hard , plus it is still raining outside.
Where is that Cold Beer and does the stew need more water :?:

After the break and in an hour or so then add some whole kernel corn to this .......... Go on another break.
Check out the e-mail or southernpaddler on the computer. :D

Relaxed ... good .... Now come back and add some green beans, limas, little green peas and anything else except for potatoes.
Take another break. (bathroom by this time) Don't forget to check the water for the stew ... it has to be wet.... :oops:

About an hour before you want supper then dice up the potatoes (spuds) and add them .....I like to add some Okra at this time (the wife hates it) ... sit back with a cold brew and let the hour go by then serve the stew up and enjoy. :D

NOW......You could tell the wife about how hard you slaved away in the kitchen all day fixing supper while she goofed off at her job. :roll:

Tomorrow it will be even taste better......or freeze some for a camping trip so all you do is reheat it.................. As you might of guessed ... I do all of the cooking around here.
This is the S L O W - W A Y of cooking beef stew and not like when out camping and you brown the meat and then add everything to the Dutch Oven.

Time for a break from this computer... I better check on the stew , Man my work is never done. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Matt , Thank's ...... I went back and modified it to make sure the meat after it is browned is covered with water or wine or a combination of the two.

It cooks in all of that liquid, the water which covers the meat or the wine along with the juices from the veggies. The reason for adding items as you go along is so you can add more water if necessary and if you have the lid on there then the liquid stays in the pot , unless you do a lot of tasting as you go along. ( My problem.)

The meat is moist and can be cut with a spoon when it is done...plus you have some really good gravy.

I forgot to say that a loaf of some home made eye-talion herb bread with garlic butter adds a lot to the meal.... Just be a gentlemen and don't slice the bread over 1 1/2 inches thick.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
My Cookin' Pal Chuck,

Glad ta hear that cane aint messin' up with yer good life. Az I read that cookin' tale, I heard Miz Julia Child in my mind. Cookin' jest aint no fun sober....iz it? :mrgreen:

Miz Bear went on a expedishun yesterday 'n found two quarts a Zatarians. Had ta drive way down ta Greenville. [Seen some $2.47 gas at the town where Ole Jim Henson 'n Johnny Winter used ta live.] Ya'll best head out soon cuz some towns run out already. They wuz bout $5 each. Aint no better way ta buy it.

They oughta put a warnin' on it. After a few years, ya git ta where reglar cookin' jest dont have no taste....like it wuz cooked fer a geezer with a sour belly 'n the high blood.

Az ya know whenever I leave town I keep a small shaker on me. I put it on the grits 'n the eggs up ta the Village 'n on the fatburger 'n the fries at River Left. That time we ate the Italian food in Bryson City, Miz Bear fergot ta bring it. :cry: It wuz a sad time, but not az bad az Vicksburg. :roll:

I give all the geezers a shaker jest in case I lose mine. What if I turnt bottom upwards 'n run inta them Wisconsin gals? I figger it must be hard ta keep yer mind rite standin' naked in front of a heap a gals. Near bout az bad az standin' in front of a heap a naked gals. Either way ya mite fergit yer Zatarains.

regards,
bearridge
sideways bound

I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time. H.L. Mencken

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear....

Zatarians (with some high octave items added to it) gets sprinkle on my stew after it is in the bowl and most stuff at the dinner table.......... that you can take to the bank. :D

I do like you do ....... this is running low and I am not going to throw it away .....Where do I put it ...... naturally in with the Zatarians. Spices are spices and the more the merrier.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear .. Now you can take a deep breath and then sleep & eat without a worry, just when I was going to get some and send it over by the angles of mercy , the same folks that can drink Swampys coffee without any bad effects... :lol: .......or take it to the next camping trip for you.

I just hate to see a geezer an paddling partner go into a fire ball withdrawal. No spices, no enjoyment, no fun, nothing worth eating ....What a life.

Now is McCormick going to be able to make the same high power stuff that you like. Naw ... You will still add stuf to it..... :roll:

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Geezer Chuck, Our recipes are almost identikle. Just before you add the H2O to the beef, pour in a cup of Italian(eyetalyun) Red wine. Stir and than add the H2O. Let the wine simmer in the beef just for a couple of minutes before the water. It'll bring your stew to new levels! :wink:

I also throw in some diced mushrooms, but everyone here likes them.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oldyaker ....

Hit don't surprise me hat tall ... all of us good cooks think alike but RED WINE an not white .... "O" the shame of it.. :roll: ...... Everyone knows that red wine is for drinking an white is fer cooking.
Besides that was the only wine I had here at the house the wife likes the red in a glass.

Actually any wine will do the job it just depends on what one you like or have on hand. :D

Chuck.