Home made hammock | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Home made hammock

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I use a truckers' hitch in one end. This gives a stronger pull to tighten.

Thinking of, instead of tying a real truckers' hitch, trying a single, short loop pulled back through a carabiner, and put the puller rope through that loop.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend 4sons,

Thanks fer the help. I am hopin' that I jest have a few more kinks ta work out. Truthful Jack give me some pointers 'n it seems ta me I mite have dug my own hole. Before my first try (Nightmare under the Figs) I had sunk 'n slid durin' my test naps. I wuz slidin' toward the foot end, so I raized the knot on the tree at the foot end. It kept me frum slidin' down ta the foot end, but fig trees bend. With the knot on the tree on my head end set lower 'n the fig trees bendin', the nettin' ended up rite next ta my head 'n rubbed it all nite long. The next time I will keep the hammock top line straight 'n tie off ta thick Chinese Tallow trees on each end.

I thank ya fer that offer, but I dont git out ta Los Angels very often. :wink:

I use the truckin' hitch cuz it iz so eazy ta undo. When ya got a trailer fulla boats, it makes ya cuss when someone ties a "granny" knot. However, I run inta a problem with the truckin' hitch. It comes loose if ya dont keep it tight. I figger ever time ya git ready ta crawl inta yer hammock, ya gotta cinch it up like a horse blowin' hiz belly out when yer tryin' ta tighten the girth. One year I near bout lost some Yahoos cuz the truckin' hitches come loose. I wont ever use it agin on my handmade (I mean homemade) angle iron boat rack. The braces jest dont keep the cross bars stiff, so they move 'n the truckin' hitches work loose.

regards
bearridge

ps It seems like all the 100+ weather haz blown by. Football 'n band practice iz in the air. Soon it will be All Hallows Eve. I caint wait ta try agin.

Every person, of whatever religious denomination he may be, is a DEIST in the first article of his Creed. Deism, from the Latin word Deus, God, is the belief of a God, and this belief is the first article of every man's creed. Thomas Paine

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin' guys;
...I know, it's been awhile. :oops: I'm still alive, just been "lurking" every now and then. I've been in the market for a HH. Was thinking of the Explorer Deluxe Asym. I'm a bigger guy too, 6' 270# :shock: . Been second guessing myself, and thinkin' of going with the Safari model. Is it really that big of a difference between the two? ...what do you think. :roll: Thanks in advance.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Safari Deluxe is made to take 350 pounds ( if memory serves me correctly) and has plenty of room in it.
That is the one I have and use when out camping in a Hennessy.

Oldyaker had the explorer and later got a Safari Deluxe , he posted that the Explorer is Motel Six while the Safari Deluxe is the Hilton. :D

Chuck.

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
Thanks. Hey, I like that "25 stone thingy". Sounds alot lighter then 350 lbs :lol: Man, I only weigh 19.2 stone....pass me another biscuit please :lol: ....can I get that put on my Driver"s License?....I'd like to see the expression on a cops face when he reads that..

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Kayak Jack said:
I use a truckers' hitch in one end. This gives a stronger pull to tighten.

Thinking of, instead of tying a real truckers' hitch, trying a single, short loop pulled back through a carabiner, and put the puller rope through that loop.

If you use a biner, make sure it'll handle more than 2x your weight. The tension on the ropes is unbelievably high.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
All I use is the knot that Tom Hennessey posted for the hammock , no problems with it. Hang the hammock , tie it off , just before bed time go back and redo one end so the hammock is nice and tight.

Hit the sack and get out in the morning if nature or a thirsty tree does not call during the night. :D

Chuck.