Home Pickled Fish | SouthernPaddler.com

Home Pickled Fish

islandpiper

I acquired some Gulf caught trout......and decided to pickle them. I used to pickle Northerns in Michigan and it always turned out good. I'm betting this will too.

Nice, home pickled fish on fresh saltine crackers.......now, that's good eats.

Anybody else here pickle fish?

Piper

tw541

Feb 18, 2008
Mountain Home, Arkansas
I have read about pickled fish in outdoors magazines, but have never tried it. Never even knew anybody who had tried it. Being from East Texas, the fish I am familiar with is cooked anyway you like, as long as it is rolled in corn meal and fried. I would not mind trying pickled fish, but I would not know where to start. What types of fish are suitable? About all we fish for back home are catfish, crappie, and bream. (bluegills and readears are both called bream where I come from) I would guess that catfish would NOT be a good first choice. I've never eaten catfish any way but fried that I thought was good. I will admit that I have never tried catfish stew, this I have heard is very good. Crappie and bream might work. As I understand it, the acid in the vinegar "cooks" the fish. I would like to find out more about it.

islandpiper

OK guys, this batch is about half done. It takes about 4-5 days, start to finish. It is unusual here in the South, common in the North, it is a good way to utilize and save extra fish without a freezer.

Northern Pike have a whole line of bones on each side called Y-bones, These are impossible to get out, so the filets are cut out from each side of this strip. The y-bone strip is pickeled, as that disolves the bones.

I have pickled Spanish mackerel, northerns, bluegills, crappies and several more. This batch is trout out of the Gulf. Here is a good recipe:
1-1 gal jar
Iodized salt
Sugar
White Vinegar
onions
Pickleing Spice. { I remove the cloves]
White cooking wine
.1/2 pint or pint jars or any other size with a lid. Some use baby food jars.

Refrigerate fish during all times in brine and after packing in in final phase.

Cut northern or any fish into bite size pieces, no need to remove bones as they disolve during brineing. Fill 1-gal jar no more than 1/2 full. Mix 1/2 cup salt per quart of water cover fish and let stand 48-72 hours depending on thickness of fish.
Drain and rinse in cold water. Return fish to gal jar and cover with vinegar. Let stand 48-72 hours. depending on thickness.

Final brine. 4 cups white vinager, 3 cups sugar, Bring to boil then add 1 cup white cooking whine. Let cool.

Drain and rinse fish thourghly, discard vineagar. Pack fish in to jars with onions[as much as you want or don't] and 1/2 tsp of pickling spice. cover contents with brine refrigerate. Refringerate about 48 hours before eating to allow brine to flavor through

They will keep 6-8 months in refrigerator, but never last that long at our house.

I drain about 2/3 of the liquid off and then add sour cream to the jar at times to change the flavor.

Any left over sugar brine can be frozen and added to the next batch.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
islandpiper said:
It is unusual here in the South, common in the North, it is a good way to utilize and save extra fish without a freezer.

Every New Years Eve, my dad would have his jar of pickled herring & crackers.

He says its a traditional thing. Dont know if it is Wisconsin/Michigan traditional or German traditional.

DM
mike

islandpiper

Rinsed off the vinegar and put the fish in a mason jar. Boiled up the new vinegar and sugar......poured it over the fish and onions and pickling spice. Back in the fridge now and will be ready to eat this weekend. Guess I'll go buy some fresh saltines tomorrow.

piper

JEM

dangermouse01 said:
He says its a traditional thing. Dont know if it is Wisconsin/Michigan traditional or German traditional.

DM
mike

It's a WI and maybe German thing. I grew up in WI eating pickled herring at my grandparents' house. I also knew how to pour a pitcher of beer with almost no foam by the time I was 6 but that's another story entirely. :shock:

islandpiper

The favorite brand at my home was "LUNCHBOX" , it came in 1/2 pint glas jars with metal llids, of course. My mother could make the herring last about forever if she gave us each one little slice of fish at dinner, once in a while. Then, the jar was used over and over and over, to carry "sauce" in our lunches. She put wax-paper over the top of the jar, and screwed the lid down. Not real effective, but we seldom tipped this big, black arch top lunch buckets over very far.

The yuppies are all concerned about re-cycling now. They should have known my mother 50 years ago.......re-use was her motto, including sandwich bags, some cans, jars, .......well, you get the picture. In fact, if you ever watched your folks or grandparents very close you saw them save every paper clip, every button and every rubber band.

Man, i get typing and can't stop......somebody help me.

piper :eek:

islandpiper

I just snuck a couple onion chunks and a piece of fish out with my pocket knife. Mmmmmmm, good stuff. Jarvis was peeking in the window, i'll share with him tomorrow.

Wannabe: yup, waste not, want not.....that was chiseled in stone at our house. Sounds like probably your house too.

piper