Hooked one... | SouthernPaddler.com

Hooked one...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Chuck had me build a pirogue to paddle the Okey Swamp this past Spring. Well the Okey is dried up and on fire....so that never happened.
Anyway, I built this thing in an aircraft hangar where I work. Did it on lunches, breaks, and late night waiting for airplanes to return. It's nothing special, strong...but not furniture, I still need to graphite the bottom. So, it sits in the hangar waiting a flatwater trip. Anyway, we hired a new guy, young, twenty five years old. He saw my pirogue sitting in the back of the hangar, well it was love at first sight! He thought it was the most beautiful thing he ever saw. I said, it's strong but nothing beautiful, I built it in a hurry for a special purpose in March. He still thought it was beautiful. So now he has Uncle Johns kit coming and had me commit in helping him build his own pirogue for use on a lake in central PA.
I want to start on a kayak this year but I'll hold back and get this young fellow started on his boat so he can use it before winter. I think he might be hooked.....he's talking about a second boat and the kit from Uncle Johns hasn't arrived yet! :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As Yak said ...... . I think he might be hooked.....he's talking about a second boat and the kit from Uncle Johns hasn't arrived yet!

"O" the misery of thinking about the boat and the anticipation of paddling it.
Then comes the planning , sanding , sawing , cutting and gluing along with the ever present sawdust that will be spread by the wooden boat builders , it is addictive and you even could say .....habit forming. :roll: Build one and you are hooked , line , hook and sinker , a goner but in a pleasant way. Gone out paddling in your hand made creation.

How many more innocent people are out and about for us to snare , trap and shanghai into our web of sawdust , epoxy and good times. :lol:

Just call us the reverend's of sawdust , relaxation and boating fun. It sounds better then the pusher's of epoxy an sawdust. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuckles
I helped oldyaker build his boat by e-mail , now he is helping someone else , in person , this is why we are here. :D ( Don't tell Oldyaker but the teacher , helper , does learn more from the person he is helping then the person he is helping . It comes from the new ides the person asks about )

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
I helped oldyaker build his boat by e-mail , now he is helping someone else , in person , this is why we are here. :D

I was remiss in my post. Chuck was a tremendous help in the building of my boat. I didn't know my a&& from my elbow! He is wonderful!(Did I say that?) :shock: My boat is not a work of art, I was under a time constraint and also very cold weather in the shop working the epoxy. The next boat I'm really taking my time, no hurry. I learned alot from this first one. One thing I did learn, other than the basics of building one, you can pretty much do any damn thing you want to do as far as making it your own boat. Enjoy, it's alot of fun!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I am sitting here with both hands on the portion of my anatomy we can not mention on here , the cushion in the seat helps to stop any pain in my hands ...... You ask ... WHY......

It is simple oldyaker gave me a nice comment and complement , I know there is something coming after that. I am just protecting myself .... OK Pup's stop the growling , you will have supper in a while , How do you like Eye-ta-ions.... on the half shell ? I was told they sort of taste like oysters ..... come back here ya dam dog .... here ... come here.... OK... Lots of Garlic..... DOWN , GET DOWN , Stop breathing on ne. Dang ... dont say Garlic around him.

Please pardon any typing mistakes since I am using a pencile held betwen the two teeth to type this. :roll: Don't worry . pups can work the mouse but his feet are to big to type anything or hit spacific keys on the keyboard but he is a big help.

Dam ... now I need to teach him how to do the spell check on here. :p

Chuck & Pup's
pS. And I am the sane one on this forum , all the ret are nuts.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Chuck yak & the the new guy will do perfect on the piro unless uncle john slips in some tide charts. It,ll be like the titanic then. :(

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Jeez Catfish......Ten Thousand Comedians out of work.....and we're stuck with you! :?

Actually....That was pretty funny Cat! :lol: :lol: :lol: