How do I paddle this thing? | SouthernPaddler.com

How do I paddle this thing?

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
I've got the thing built, but how do I paddle it with a single blade paddle? I tried sitting slightly aft of center but the boat just seems to spin around on its own axis. I sat aft all the way back to the rib and paddling got easier with J-strokes and all. But then the bow raises way up. Do I load it up with dead weight to level it out? If so how much weight to I add?

Also. I think my paddle it too long. I bought a 60 inch paddle from Cheap-mart. How do you determine how long a single blade paddle should be, especially in a pirogue? What about paddle width? This thing seems to displace way too much water.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
funbun said:
I've got the thing built, but how do I paddle it with a single blade paddle? I tried sitting slightly aft of center but the boat just seems to spin around on its own axis. I sat aft all the way back to the rib and paddling got easier with J-strokes and all. But then the bow raises way up. Do I load it up with dead weight to level it out? If so how much weight to I add?

Also. I think my paddle it too long. I bought a 60 inch paddle from Cheap-mart. How do you determine how long a single blade paddle should be, especially in a pirogue? What about paddle width? This thing seems to displace way too much water.

1... 1st what is this thing ?
2... If you are back of center then the bow will rise , sometimes a jug (or two) of water will balance it out.
3... The bow paddle is normally shorter or not as worn then the stern paddle since the bow paddler takes more breaks. :lol:
4... The width is what ever you are comfortable with , a wide paddle will require more work since it pulls more water.

OK.. Seriously....... Choosing a canoe paddle length is a fairly straight forward formula. Sit in a chair and measure from your chair seat to your nose. Add this number to the height of your canoe seat, then add the length of the paddle blade. Or any length that you are comfortable with , if you hold down on the shaft and not at the top then you need a shorter paddle.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Fun, when you get done playing around with a single blade paddle, go get a double blade and carry the single for a spare. Sit just aft of center, as low as you can get, (a stadium sit on the bottom of the boat keeps CG low and provides a welcome backrest), and you will:

A. Have more control of both turning the boat and keeping it straight
B. Have more control of the boat for maneuvering.
C. Have more power for both accelerating and cruising
D. Have more control of the boat in winds
E. Have more control of the boat in currents

Rather than paddling by windmilling your arms, keep the paddle parallel to your shoulders and paddle by swinging your shoulders back and forth. this uses your powerful back muscles instead of weaker arm muscles.

Others will rail about tradition, single blade beauty and all that. Use it if you want. Just realize that you needlessly forego power and control to do so.

digr57

Feb 1, 2008
Tallahassee fl
Jack hit the nail on the head plus a double blade has a easier learning curve than a single. If you prefer a single blade sit just aft of center ( bow should be raised slightly ) try paddling say 5 or six times on one side then switch to the other and do the same. Adjust the number of strokes per side to keep it going straight. Maybe Mick will chime in he seems to prefer a single blade and can probably explain it better.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Your boat like all UJ pirogues seems to have a lot of rocker, that is going to make it turn very easily unless it is loaded down enough to get the ends down in the water. With a single blade, keep the shaft pretty much vertical as seen from the front and keep the stroke close to the side of the boat and parallel to the long axis of the boat. As you reach the end of the stroke, twist the paddle so that the edge of the paddle away from the boat moves forward and transition into a sort of a pry stroke to correct the turning motion. I enjoy the single blade better myself if I'm just easing along and am not in a hurry. Practice a lot.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Ahh, thanks Jack. I need a way to exercise my back muscles anyway.

What paddle length is best for a double bladed paddle? The beam on my boat is 31 inches

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
See if you can try a few first before you buy. Most narrower boats work well with a 220 cm, but you will likely want something a couple or three inches longer. Ask Black Dog; he might have some good input - and a good paddle to sell.

In some circumstances, a take apart paddle is handier. For lighter weight and simplicity I prefer a one-piece paddle. I'm in a decided minority there.

I have an inherent mistrust of moving parts. As Murphy would advise, "Moving parts often don't, but leak-proof tanks do."

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have used a single paddle in the boats I paddle till I made the ( wood) kayak in 2000 and then got one of the double paddles since it is something you are suppose to use with a kayak.

You know what , it paddles just as good with a single blade like the one kayak I made at 13. (Could not afford a fancy paddle so I used a canoe paddle) :lol:

I prefer a canoe paddle , probably since I am use to them and do paddle on one side all day long ( been doing it all my life) .
A double is nice when going a long distance upstream , guess I'm getting older and lazier , but for cruising and easing along it is a single blade for me.

The single is quiet , low amount of movement , in fact it does not need to taken out of the water when slipping up on a critter to get a picture. As one person who paddled with me said .... "Look at Chuck he is in-jun-ing up on that critter" I guess it is something about Indians and being quiet with low movement , sneaking along. :lol:

Chuck.

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
redfisher said:
Get yourself on of these. They work great and look neat too.

Hey Redfisher, I just bought a 54" Beavertail (straight) paddle for $15 at a garage sale and wonder if I got a good deal. Do you know anything about them? I am going to use it for a backup paddle.

JC

Jim

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
funbun said:
I've got the thing built, but how do I paddle it with a single blade paddle?
Friend bun,

All "which one/how to" questions depend on the kind of water ya paddle. Same with boats. There aint no answer fer all water....no facts, jest opinions.

regards
bearridge

I knew I'd been living in Berkeley too long when I saw a sign that said "Free Firewood" and my first thought was "Who is Firewood and what has he done?" John Berger

aprayinbear

Feb 9, 2007
South Carolina
Makin it move!

8)

My advice for paddling is 1) take the wide end of whatever you have handy( a stick, a paddle, your hand) stick it in the water and wiggle it around until the shore starts moving beside you. 2) sit as low in the boat as you can and still see over the side. 3) sit just behind center (or wherever your behind best fits!)

And most important take your time, enjoy....see what works for you....there's no right way, just what works for you.

Happy Paddling,
Duffy

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Re: Makin it move!

aprayinbear said:
8)

My advice for paddling is 1) take the wide end of whatever you have handy( a stick, a paddle, your hand) stick it in the water and wiggle it around until the shore starts moving beside you. 2) sit as low in the boat as you can and still see over the side.

Now, that's funny right thar. :lol:

How many people pictured funbun with just his beady eyes peekin' over the side of the pirogue? :lol: