How much epoxy to fillet? | SouthernPaddler.com

How much epoxy to fillet?

islandpiper

VTF,

I mix 2-3 pumps of RAKA resin with the right amout of hardner and stir in the wood flour......and it's off to the races. I like to fillet with an old stainless steel table spoon, it is slippery, shapped right and cleans up easily either cured or un-cured. hope this helps. nice looking boat so far. see you on the water soon!! Oh, that's right, you live up north......see you on the water in about July!

Piper

JEM

I wouldn't even pump that much.

If you're using 2:1 ratio epoxy, figure out how far to push the plunger down for a half pump. Then One full pump of resin and 1/2 pump of hardener.

Then you have plenty of time to work. Scrape and use every last bit out of the mixing cup/pot/pan. Then make another batch.

Alternatively, measure like this: http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=721

VTFogg

Jan 14, 2007
Rutland, Vermont
I mixed 3 ounces this evening with lots of maple flour. My fillets are not very wide, and this amount filled about 11 feet of seam. I'll finish the fillets on Saturday and seal the rest of the wood on the inside too. Then it's time to seal the bottom, sand the drips off of the sides and start laying cloth. What is the cloth made of anyway?

Another foot of snow today. Just up the road at Killington Ski Area we've had 44" since April 4. Islandpiper, this year you may be right about the ice melting by July.

VTFogg

spikec

Mar 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
If you ordered the Raka kit, it's straight-up fiberglass-- fibres spun from the same stuff they serve strong, finely-hopped ale in...

From my extremely-limited experience with this stuff, all I can say is take your time getting all the drip lines off before you lay the glass. I didn't, and it only compounds the process when you try to get a smooth layer of epoxy on with each subsequent coating. I ended up spending way more time sanding later than I should have because I rushed the whole process.

Have fun, you're getting close. The drag about this stage is everything starts to go in slow motion waiting for stuff to dry and sanding, sanding, sanding. Btw Vt., this thing would make a great toboggan once you get the graphite on. You might get that late April storm to try it out -- spoken from a fellow native of the Northeast Kingdom ;-)

VTFogg

Jan 14, 2007
Rutland, Vermont
Yes, the ice is coming off and the some larger lakes are opening up. I talked to a couple of guys ice fishing at a pond up the road and they told me yesterday there are still 19 inches of ice! The larger bodies break up much sooner due to wind, and/or current.

I finished sealing the inside including the sides today, then flipped it and sealed the bottom. Next, I'll seal the exterior sides and then you'll see me asking for a few tips on laying glass cloth.

We're getting there, but I'm wishing that I had used better wood. I note a couple of spots where the outer layer of veneer has bubbled. After this much work, it deserves to have quality components.

VTFogg