how much glass? | SouthernPaddler.com

how much glass?

roosterkiller

May 26, 2009
First time builder. Bilding a UJ pirogue. 14.5 feet long. plan on glassing the all of the outside of the the boat. approx how much glass do i need to cover the boat?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
14.5 feet for the boat = 30 feet of glass and that is cutting it short so I would say 33 feet if not more. 11 yards if you get the glass that will form over the sides in the process. The 52 inch does a good job and that leaves some left over trimmings for patch work. That is figuring you might want to glass the whole boat , if not then about 4 yards of glass for just the outside.

The sides do require more then a person thinks of , best way to say it is to think of the boat as a flat piece of wood and you want to cover all of it or encapsulate it in glass for it's protection.

If you don't glass the inside then epoxy saturate it and use some of the left over glass to do the area where you will be sitting and your feet are , usually between the center rib to the front rib , the glass will help on the wear and tear of you getting in and out of it with dirty feet. You will not have the extra protection and reinforcement in the bottom if it is not all glassed. Run up on a stump and there is nothing on the inside of the wood to help it resist breaking except for the epoxy saturation. The sides on the inside could be left without glass if you want to. I would suggest glassing the bottom , both sides.

The main cost in making a wood boat is the epoxy and the glass but that is what makes them last. :D

Just tossing up some ideas so you can make a decision , it is your boat , not mine. :D

Chuck.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
Welcome roosterkiller. I'm working on an Uncle John pirogue that is about 15' 8" and I glassed the entire outside and inside. I bought 10 yds and it was just right. The roll literally ran out perfect on my last piece. This is my first also so I felt like I bought more than enough but I'm sure I had more waste than some of the old pros on here.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

roosterkiller

May 26, 2009
thank you both for the info. Should have asked in the original post. how much epoxy is needed to cover the entire boat?

slider

Mar 14, 2009
I ordered my stuff from Raka and Larry was extremely helpful. I just told him the dimensions of my boat and he suggested everything I would need. I haven't finished yet but looks like he was spot on - I'm glad one of us (him) knew what they were doing.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
slider said:
I ordered my stuff from Raka and Larry was extremely helpful. I just told him the dimensions of my boat and he suggested everything I would need. I haven't finished yet but looks like he was spot on - I'm glad one of us (him) knew what they were doing.

Larry would know since he has built a Uncle Johns Pirogue , plus he is in the glass business. :D