Clicky

How Much Will My Boat Weigh?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
This might be more helpful for those building with wood and glass more than for plywood builds. Plans usually state a finished weight but if you make any changes or you are doing your own design this will give you an idea.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Here is a little helpful hint I've noticed on my plywood pirogue builds. Find the weight of a 4 x 8 sheet of the ply you're using. Divide that by 8 and multiply that by the length of the finished boat. Example: 1/4" pine ply weighs about 28 lbs. That's 3.5 lbs per foot. 3.5 x 14 = 49 lbs for the 14' finished boat with sturdy gunnels and chines. Subtract 4-5 lbs for lightweight structure wood.

Reactions: Gamecock

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Bee, it's pretty close either way. Old school with wood gunnels, chines, etc without glass works out about the same as stitch and glue with a lot less lumber and the addition of epoxy and glass. The hull plywood makes up the biggest percentage of weight in a boat. Your mileage may vary. :D

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Gotcha, one way or the other. My mileage ls about the same as yours. It takes a lot of attention to details to reduce the weight significantly. Like all other desirable boat design features and goals "light" is not always possible or the most important, if it compromises other needs.
A real boat builder told me "anything you add to the boat adds strength, Anything you add also adds weight."
If one builds a pirouge with ribs and stem pieces and then adds fiberglass and epoxy, the boat is stronger but weighs more.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Over the years we have road this "boat weight" horse several times. I was moving some lumber around today and weighed some plywood and boards out of curiosity. Bathroom scales and some differences from past efforts. Nothing to fret over.

1/4" pine bc 4'X8' = 26 lbs.
3/8" " " " = 36 lbs.
9 mm luan " = 29 lbs.
5mm " " = 19 lbs.
2X4 X 8' stud pine = 7 lbs.
2X4 X 8' rough cedar = 4 lbs