How much wood flour? | SouthernPaddler.com

How much wood flour?

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
re this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6150

How much wood flour should I need for the fillets on my UJ pirogue? I've been dumping out the dust collector on the random orbital sander and have about 8 oz. so far. Is this sufficient?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It depends on what consistence of fillet you want. I make mine about the same as some good peanut butter.

I do it differently then most folks ... I add the resin to my mixing pot , then the wood flour and mix it together when it is like really thick bread dough and wants to glob up then I add the hardener and mix it up so it where I like it. Sometimes I need to add a spoon full of flour to it if it is to runny. Runny is not a good thing and so is to stiff of a batch , it' needs to be like the porage Goldy Locks ate ... just right , so it can be spread and not run on you.

Again.. If you brush on some epoxy , each side of the seam , let the epoxy cure , then lightly sand it. Then put down some tape and do the fillet between the pieces of tape , Don't forget to pull the tape when the fillet starts to set or the tape will be part of the fillet.

"O" the reason for the epoxy on each side of the seam .... It gives the tape something to hold onto plus when you pull it it will not pull any of the wood with it , just comes up slicker then Owl poop. :D I know more work and preparation is boring and a pain but it is the key factor in having a boat turn out the way you expect it.

Chuck.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
If you don't have enough wood flour and you don't want to have to order it and wait for it, try all purpose wheat flour straight from the grocery store. Works fine so far as I can tell, and I've heard of others using it, too.

gbinga

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
8 oz. should be plenty. If I remember correctly, I bought 1 pound when I started on my pirogue and have built two boats now and probably still have enough left for the next one. I have been using glass bubbles instead of wood flour for the endpours.

Jimmy

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I just used the bubbles for the endpours and not for the fillets because the color matched the wood better that way and I wanted them to blend in.