hull shape | SouthernPaddler.com

hull shape

Gran23

Dec 24, 2009
Hey guys I need some sagely advice. The symmetry of my boat is off. The curvature of my sides are not even and the bottom is not even as well. I am pretty sure the mistake was made when attaching the sides to the stem. Promblem is, I did not notice the error until after the stems, bottom, rubrails and ribs had been glued together.

So now I am wondering if I should scrap this project and start over or not. Here is a list of options I have considered thus far.
1. Leave it like is and be happy
2. I could remove the bottom (glued but not glassed yet) and reset the middle ribs.
3. in addition to step 2, I could reset the problem stem.

Any advice that you guys can give would be greatly appreciated and as always thanks.

GRAN23

JEM

What you could do if you didn't want to start over from scratch:

While it is not the most enjoyable task, cutting the bottom loose from the sides isn't the hardest task to do. Flip it upside-down, get a small slot started in a seam with a few drill holes, and then take to the jig saw to it. Hold the saw against the seam at an angle that splits the angle formed by the hull side and bottom. Go slow...let the saw do the work.

Once the side panels are off, stack them to ensure they match. Trim as needed.

Bottom panel: trace the left side of it with some chalk on a flat surface. Flip it. The right side should be almost an exact match.

Then you could decide if starting completely over is worth it.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I am a mistake expert. :wink: That don't mean I'll be much help. I am best at making them, not so good at fixing. :roll:

A little more information may help someone help you.
1. What kind of boat or plans?
2. When did you attach the stem pieces, befor or after inserting the ribs?
3. Does one side of the bottom site higher than the other?
4. By "curvature of the sides are not even", do you mean one side is straighter or it flares more?

I'm not clear on what your problem is. These thoughts may not help you fix the problem:
1. Are the sides the same length?
2. Are the ribs parallel to each and perpendicular to the center line?
3. Is the angle of (flare) the ribs and sides the same on each side and rib?
4. Is each gunwale, (top rail) the same thickness?

beekeeper

I AM ALSO A SLOW POSTER. :oops: Matt is already helping.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
can't tell from your pictures how far out of kilter it is

if it's something that only 1% of folks will notice and you can live with it - then leave it alone

if it's really noticeable and folks will ask. "Did you build this?" then you're better off fixing it

My Dad used to tell me that there are two types of folks that will look at your work

Those that ask "how long did it take?" be polite but you can ignore them

and those that ask "did you build this?" listen to them as they likely not only what they're talking about but can also give you some good advice