Huntsville State Park | SouthernPaddler.com

Huntsville State Park

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
Took the wife fishing last week. Except for the oppressive heat and humidity, it was a great week-long trip. The fishing wasn't too good due to the heat, but the wife managed to catch a really nice bass. I'd guess it to go somewhere between 5 and 6 pounds.

2685490685_75841007b7.jpg

Bass fall under the catch and release rules for this lake, so back he went to swim a while longer. 8)

Of course, I had to show her how it's really done, so I caught my only fish of the trip right away. :roll:

2685492345_199b6aeb65.jpg

Normally, we go to Chico State Park in Louisiana every year in July. It's just about as hot there as it is here and with the price of diesel being what it is we decided to stay closer to home this year. We saw a lot of wildlife, got sunburned, caught a total of 3 fish and had an altogether good time.

The park was mostly empty when we arrived. This is a view looking south from my trailer.

2686262834_9be4c26969.jpg

Looking north from my trailer.

2685454169_a85a912639.jpg

This is the view from my "front porch".

2685408689_b679361a1e.jpg

And the reverse view from the lake back toward our trailer.

2685416925_2b238664a6.jpg

The view from our bedroom window.

2686382474_fbdcb7b632.jpg

Did I say it was hot?

2685559093_4d03fbef2a.jpg

My canoe slip was a bit muddy, so I found an old pallet laying around that made a dandy "dock".

2685419411_e89b25acfc.jpg

Yeah, it's a plastic boat, but I plan to build a nice wooden one when I retire in about 4 years. That's why I joined this site.

There has been discussion of outriggers here in the past. You can see mine in the pic above and I'll follow with a couple more pics with them extended. I only use them when lake fishing with the wife. They make the canoe into a steady platform when extended and keep it from tipping too far when in the stowed position. They stayed stowed this entire week-long trip.

Outriggers extended half-way.

2685595407_63163b6585.jpg

Outriggers fully extended.

2685599753_45ffff6d38.jpg

Here's a shot of my little buddy, Gilligan.

2685604143_60028c8160.jpg

A small gator, probably only about 3' long.

2685526475_44e5538bfe.jpg

A fair-sized gator. We weren't too close to this gator, the pic was taken with a telephoto lens. We never get too close to the gators, but this one thought otherwise and gave us a loud hiss. I've been around a lot of gators, but I've never been hissed at before. We turned away and put some distance between us. :shock:

2686324252_c05416028b.jpg

A few views of the lake.

2685469221_5c36938d7e.jpg

2685521837_e13197391c.jpg

2686337532_b0f894afd4.jpg

2686349620_602a153497.jpg

There are some more pics HERE if anyone is interested.

Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Some great pictures and I really like the one of the wife and that grin she has ..... YEP ... Better take her anytime you go fishing. :lol:

Gilligan brings back a ton of good memories , We had two hot dogs , mother and son and they were something , even after a lot of pups I still miss them , they were special. Bitsey was the mom and Shorty was the son , his foot would cover a half dollar and neither of them matched there names. Shorty would catch an Texas Turtle ( Armadillo ) and shake it to pieces. Or go down the hole and drag it out , then kill it.

Heck I had a white cat ( a stray half starved that decided to live here with us ) and called it Midnight , later he weighed 18 pounds and was boss of this area. :D

Now we have Pup's ( another stray ) , He ain't right in the head either , would tackle the devil and keep the devils tail for a snack.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mike,

Good report. Thanks. I reckon that big fish put that fine smile on her face. I kin see why ya looked a bit down in the mouth. :lol: :lol: I wuz all set ta tell ya that me 'n Jimmy W wuz reared close ta Lake Chicot.....but that iz Arkansaw. My Dad used ta tell us that the folks that settled Arkansaw figgered it wuz Texas.....caint spell too good. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I reckon work makes ya take yer trip in July?

regards
bearridge

ps It hit 106 a hour ago.

Common sense is in spite of, not as a result of an education. Victor Hugo

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
oldsparkey said:
Look again........... under the indoor reading......... My guess is thats before he turned on th AC , or I sure hope so. :?
I would of had it running before then.......

Nope, that thermometer was sitting outside in the shade. The remote outdoor sensor quit working a long time ago, so I had to put the indoor unit outside to confirm it was hot as hades. :shock: :shock:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Great , you had me sweating looking at that temp inside the camper.

Now a question.......

Look along the roof and tell me if I'm dreaming . I see two ac units a TV antenna and the roof vent. Or I think I do......... :? Trifocals do make you see things that are not there , heck I see Kayak Jack and Oldyaker all the time and I know there are not here , well anyway Oldyaker swinging from the trees. :lol:

LOOK MA.... There goes Big Foot with a kayak down by the Swamp Ape sign at the Swamp , Scotch , Inn. Jack said he was going to be out and about for a while. :lol: :lol: :lol:

2685474425_aae409040e.jpg

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
oldsparkey said:
Now a question.......

Look along the roof and tell me if I'm dreaming . I see two ac units a TV antenna and the roof vent. Or I think I do......... :?

2685474425_aae409040e.jpg

From left to right, you see a closed roof vent that contains an exhaust fan, a skylight over the shower, a TV antenna, and the AC unit.

BTW, the only reason you see the TV antenna is because I was too lazy to set up the satellite dish on the arrival day. I did that when I got bored waiting for the heat to break enough to go fishing on the second day. :roll:

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
oldsparkey said:
Some great pictures and I really like the one of the wife and that grin she has ..... YEP ... Better take her anytime you go fishing. :lol:
Chuck.

Yeah! I was really happy to see her catch that fish! Way happier than I would have been if I had caught it.

She had another nice fish on the day before that broke her line near the canoe. I put new line on her reel right after that.

Mike

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
bearridge said:
Friend Mike,

Good report. Thanks. I reckon that big fish put that fine smile on her face.

I reckon work makes ya take yer trip in July?

Yes, she is still smiling about that fish. If she gets a little down about anything, I just remind her how she caught it. :wink:

We take the July trip because my stepson is gone on visitation with his dad. It gives us some time to ourselves, so we just do the best we can. 8)

Mike

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
oldsparkey said:
Gilligan brings back a ton of good memories , We had two hot dogs , mother and son and they were something , even after a lot of pups I still miss them , they were special. Bitsey was the mom and Shorty was the son , his foot would cover a half dollar and neither of them matched there names. Shorty would catch an Texas Turtle ( Armadillo ) and shake it to pieces. Or go down the hole and drag it out , then kill it.

Chuck.

Yep! Dang wiener dogs think they're the biggest, meanest dogs on the block! Last night, Gilligan chased a yellow lab out of my Koi pond and down the street. I like to never have got him to stop. He loves to catch a possum in the backyard and I've seen him jump a couple of coons. Once he latches on, he's going to shake it to pieces unless I break him loose. Durn fool dog. :roll:

Mike

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I got a pal who takes in abused wiener dogs. I never paid fer a dog 'er cat til I met Miz Bear. Wait....I dont mean that like it sounds. I got her free.....like in a box of Jacks fer Crackers. :roll: Now I live in a cat house. Hmmmm........I better stop before I step on my e-tongue.

regards
bearridge

Here it is that the religion of Deism is superior to the Christian Religion. It is free from all those invented and torturing articles that shock our reason or injure our humanity, and with which the Christian religion abounds. Its creed is pure, and sublimely simple. It believes in God, and there it rests. Thomas Paine

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I really enjoyed your trip this morning Mike. Thanks!!! I can hardly wait to get my trailer. Maybe you can show me your fishing waters someday down thwe road.