I almost saw it too, but the damn thing flew off..... | SouthernPaddler.com

I almost saw it too, but the damn thing flew off.....

Beach Reef

Apr 27, 2005
Phoenix, Az
Old southern boy was fishing out his local pond down in Alabama. Kinda snoozing on the bank with his wide brimmed hat sitting low over his eyes. Out from under the brim the good ol' boy could see his cork in the middle of the pond jump under water. Right before the last of the slack fell out of the line this southern boy grabbed his pole. The drag sounded off as the line spun from the spinner reel. The sound was almost deafening, and the pole nearly leapt from his hand. Then accross the pond the boy saw something come out of the water. Black and hairy, standing about 3 feet tall, this thing ran straight from the water, into the thick woods behind the pond.

Determined not to lose this rare prey, this good ol' boy dropped his pole and ran around to the back of the pond. There he found his fishing line tangeled in the trees. Following the line this boy came to a clearing in the woods. In the center stood a lone peacon tree. At the base he could see this little hairy thing scury straight up this tree. The boy quickly covered the ground to the base of this peacon tree. As he neared the bottom of the tree he squinted to see what this thing was that had come from the pond. He was just about to get a good look at it too, when the damn thing flew off.

You know, I would say this was a tall-tale, but it has happened twice to me...... once in Texas and once in Mississippi.......

Story care of Jimmy Houston.....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I'll testify to your story BR! Same thing happened in Ark Kansas over a month ago.........made a big splash, came to shore, than scurried out of the river, hairy, bare in spots, than this one got back in the river and scurried downstream! A whole lotta people see'd this one! Maybe it was the same thing! Someone said it waz an ol' Geezer, I said I didn't think they moved that fast? :wink:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Beach,

That did sound a heap like Swampy, but he dont look like he kin fly....cept when he iz wearin' that hat. :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge
bodine flyin' school

Boss: Sorry Luke, just doing my job, ya gotta appreciate that?
Luke: Naw.....jest sayin’ it’s yer job don’t make it right boss.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I don't know Br'r Bear and Chuck, Swampus has a court order in 49 states agin' remov'n hiz clothes in public........ Judge said sumptin' about it bein' a public nusance........That's what I heard anyhows...... :roll:

Friend oldyaker,

It wuz my hope ta study the Swampus Whatchamacallitus fer our explorin' club. Over ta Great Britain we dont have nobody who even seen a Big Foot, a Sasquash, aliens 'er Don King.

Well, that fella who tried ta lite hiz Nikes 'n blow up that plane wuz a Brit, but az ya kin see, Merry Ole England aint like it wuz in the ole days when folks liked ta head out ta Canterbury with a heap a tale tellin' sobs.

Opps....sorry ta all the little pardners fer that, but some a them Chaucer tales iz purty raunchy once ya learn ta read that ole time english. That stuff iz way harder ta read than Swampy 'n that writin' fool bearridge.

Mister Kayak Jack iz hereby 'n forthwith (we talk like that near bout ever day over ta Great "By God" Britain) invited ta come tell some tales ta the explorin' club of greater Shrewsbury. We sho would like ta hear how him 'n Mister Kiplin' put that can a whup ass on them scoundrels in the Punjab.

Hangin' in like Gunga Din,

Sir Neville Ballingsforth
Duke of Earl

Old paddlers iz like old fishermen--they don't die, they just smell that way. Bears Buddy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
'Twas on the morn of Thursday last, when young Tim Kipling tied kayak fast
To a branch of Sasquatch fam'ly tree, and sallied forth fer you'n me.

Into jungle basin slash slash slash, fought our way with out much dash.
Crost desert sands we slogged and sang, bravado mucho - don't give a dang.

Bambii's maidens we did find, luscious gals both front and hind.
They came from nearby town and flew, into our camp fore eveing dew.

Now dey be tree and we be two, I buck one and Timbuktiu.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Truthful Jack,

Ya never let me down. Aint that opium some fine stuff? It jest brings the poet out of ever hole. [I reckon it mite a been that single malt, but either way, a good poem iz az rare az a three toed horse.]

respectfully,

bearridge

The deepest sin against the human mind is to believe things without evidence.
Thomas H. Huxley

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
The Voices tole me ta shoot it if'n it comes by 'gin. Reken 12 guage duble nought is nuff to bring it down? :?: Er d'ya think the voices meant ta shoot pichers? :? They might be too scary ta post. Hear them ladies on the Buffala Crick done ran when the saw it! :shock:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
bearridge said:
Friend Truthful Jack,

Ya never let me down. Aint that opium some fine stuff? It jest brings the poet out of ever hole. [I reckon it mite a been that single malt, but either way, a good poem iz az rare az a three toed horse.]...
Heck-a-mighty, Br'r Bear - THAT was when I was sober!! Gets even seemier unner the affluence (or, is that CONfluence?) Ask me sometime about the Ballad of Sammy Small, or some limerycks, or Adeline Schmidt, or ...