I bit the bullet | SouthernPaddler.com

I bit the bullet

eaglechief

Jul 17, 2009
I just ordered the plans for the Jem 500 This last week I had some active duty time to do and a friend of mine started a kayak and we got talking about boats (yes two F-15 Crew Chiefs talking about boat building :shock: ))Now if I can get the 63 Gasser Chevy II done and out of the garage I'll be able to get started on the boat :D
http://www.jemwatercraft.com/StudyPlans ... yPlans.htm
OK now I have to decide what to build it out of, marine plywood or Luan plywood, what glass to use (e, or s glass) epoxy or resin ect. ect. I prolly have until spring or summer before I can get started on the boat.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Hi, Chief. You'll get lots of palaver about plywood; in the final analysis - make up your own mind. I posted comments about manufacturer's standards at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5372 It may help you decide one way or another. Your budget may help that decision too. Some favor economy; I favor hull integrity.

Been retired from the USAF now for 28 years. Spent lots of time with F-100's, KC-135's, and B-52's. Some with other planes too. F-100 was my favorite by along ways. Keep'em flying, Chief!

eaglechief

Jul 17, 2009
JEM said:
Sent the file. But it bounced back at me. I'll try again. I sent you a PM.

Thanks from a former KC-10 crew chief. :D
Yeah my saggage fingers got the best of me :oops: Thanks for the PM!
I'm looking forward to building this boat with my father, wife and three boys(11,7 and 4). My dad is very knowledgeable about boats and wood working and boats in general, but has too much arthritis to do much work, so he will supervise and advise me. The wife and boys love fishing and boating so this will be a great family project for us.

KC-10's so were you at Cali Or Jersey???
F100's now those go way back !!! cool jet.
I have crewed F-16's on active duty (Aviano 555fs, and Edwards and 412ts) and now F-15 with the 142nd FW in Portland Oregon.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Good on ya for involving your family - all three generations.

When I was in Nam, the Triple Nickle was in the Philippines. They joined us too. I was in the 416 TFS there; aircraft maintenance officer.

eaglechief

Jul 17, 2009
JEM said:
I was in Cali from 91-97. Visited Edwards many times for work and had a friend stationed there that worked on some black projects.
Got the plans, seem fairly easy to follow. We will see when I can finally get started on it. Thanks for the prompt service

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
eaglechief,

It doesn't take much smarts to build Matt's boats. Just look at all the other old codgers around here. :lol: j/k guys.

I think you'll like the 500 alot and once the bug kicks in about 2 days after you finish, take a look at the Pirouge TV as your next project. 8)

eaglechief

Jul 17, 2009
I've got to build two (one for the wife and one for me) of the 500's then we will go from there, I may have a whole armada by the time I'm done building boats (can't say the word N@VY in my house :D ) I had looked at the 15-32 plans but was talked into the 500, HMMM I've got three boy they each will need a boat right???? Then I'll need a whole new shop to store them in.... :roll: