I couldn't wait | SouthernPaddler.com

I couldn't wait

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
Installed a couple of temporary thwarts on the JEM S&G canoe this morning and went paddling. Very happy with the design. Primary stability is good and secondary is like a rock. Paddles well, turns easily. No cavitaion noises.

Best thing, IT FLOATS!

New pics can be viewed at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/185952751lQHvdn

Now to work on the deck and sail rig.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Hoz,

Your foredeck will be a long one. On my kayak, befoer installing decks, I buried a short hank of rope in the end pour and tied on a small pulley. I ran a circular rope (up through the pulley and back, tied off in a square knot). On this, I seized 30" of 1/16" stuff to tie around what ever goes in first. Easier retreival.

I added white pigment to the epoxy for the inside of the boat. Can look up under the decks and easily see if anything is remaining.

I now wish my kayak was a bit wider, say 27", and cockpit a bit longer, say 4'.

JEM

Why Jack we can accomodate you! :lol:

Some more pics of Hoz's great work.

OnWater1.JPG

OnWater2.JPG

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I realize that hull configuration is a bit different, but what I see is a strong similarity to a Zephyrus. PARTICULARY when it comes to use. This hombre will roam the outback for weeks on end, take rough water, portage easier than some boats, and serve as a "home away from home".

If a guy took one of these boats, a Hennessy hammock, a Cooke rainfly, vittles, and two pairs of socks, he could live out there a long time.

Hoz, you might be interested in roaming Killarney or Lake Superior Provincial Parks. Lake Superior Provincial Park country looks very much like the Boundary Waters.

I suppose, that if a fella was hard up for pretty places to paddle, and just had to, he could paddle one of these beauties down South too. But that'd be a waste of a precious boat. Kinda like taking your sister to the prom, ehh?

JEM

Jack it has a very similar cross section. Differences are this one is shorter, a little fatter, and is asymetrical.

Hoz said it performed great. I'm tickled pink at the way it turned out.

Hoz provided some awesome insight to simplifying building and as you can see, the boy knows how to build a fine boat! 8)

Cutting it loose soon as just an open canoe. The decked sail option later on.

In case anyone was wondering....I was...the purple straps were for portaging. Hoz just decided to leave them on while he paddled.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

So what is wrong with taking your sister to the prom, I thought everyone does that, anyway down here they do. Well, the lucky ones do.

That is why I had to find a date (non related) ........... no siblings. :oops:

Yep , that will be one good traveling boat and with everything you mentioned one heck of a good boat for wilderness camping, especially if he takes a big sack of gritz to have with all of the fish he can catch.

I have to ask ...... why both pairs of socks ... :? .. aren't you supposed to leave one pair at home so they will be fresh for your return and don't try to tell me folks have more then two pair.
How gullible do you think I am?

I still don't think any sensible person actually carries there boat over dry ground and it is just something you made up , you are suppose to paddle a boat and let it carry you , not the other way around. :roll:

Chuck.

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
Hey Jack

I saw that pulley idea on the Kayak board too. Might have to go that route.

I was planning on painting the inside beige. How did the pigment in the epoxy work? What sort of pigment? I have a friend who used universal colorant (same thing they tint paint with) to color his epoxy.

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
Thats what I hate, paying high price for something I can get locally for free...

I am a painter by trade and can always stop in at Sherman Willys To pick up a cup or so of color.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
My pigment was from System 3, providers of my epoxy. RAKA sells similar stuff. It is epoxy resin, so you have to mix with that in mind. It is part of the 2:1 ratio, not added later. This puts the color IN the epoxy, not on it.

I liked the white because I could check up under a kayak deck with just moonlight. (I sometimes forget things in the boat) BUT, I have the ENTIRE inside white, so light is reflected off the open area. If you leave the open cockpit floor natural for good looks, then a small light (match, birthday candle) would light up the interior after dark. In daylight, you would have plenty of reflection up in there without augmentation.

On the outside, Chuckie's graphite makes a REAL difference. Harder, slicker.

Refrain from mixing gritz with epoxy; it has two side effects. Most importantly, the boat will sink (moisture engorgement). Second, it improves the flavor of the gritz.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
hoz said:
Thats what I hate, paying high price for something I can get locally for free...

I am a painter by trade and can always stop in at Sherman Willys To pick up a cup or so of color.
I'd approach that with a good deal of caution! Experiment on a piece of scrap wood with paint pigment first before your use it on your boat. If it works, has good strength, etc. let us know

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Raka's pigment is for epoxy and you mix it right in with it. The amount you mix in is up to the builder.

That is how I got the green color on the outside of the Swamp Girl. It is in the fiberglass and epoxy so the color is not something added on the outside and will scratch off, it is part of the boat.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
(SNIP) That is how I got the green color on the outside of the Swamp Girl. It is in the fiberglass and epoxy so the color is not something added on the outside and will scratch off, it is part of the boat.
Remember, Chuck, beauty is only skin deep. Ugly, however, goes clear to the core.

But, of course you knew that.

JEM

Al had a good idea:

If you're gong to paint it, match the color of the top caot of epoxy as close to the color of the paint as you can. That way scratches don't show up as much.

I'll add to that and say use a white pigment coat as fiberglass weave fill, then color matched final epoxy coat, then paint. That way you can easily identify any really deep scratches that need attention.

Like I said, Al had that good idea. Hard to believe, I know. But even a broken clock is right twice a day. :p :lol: