I finally did it---- | SouthernPaddler.com

I finally did it----

Waliczek

Jan 31, 2007
Kansas City, Kansas
Well, today was the day. 72 degrees, cloudy, at 3:00PM I launched my pirogue. I took it to Wyandotte county lake, (469 Acres), launched it from the sailboat ramp. I floated it out empty, no leaks. I snuck my self into the boat, and sat down on a small seat about 2 inches from the floor. I will be really honest. that thing was a little wiggly and tender. I have never been in a canoe, so I was not prepared for the tippyness. after about 10-15 minutes, I was paddleing around gently, and getting my (sea legs)?? After about an hour I was pretty comfortable and trusted the boat not to dump me if I just paid attention to what I was doing. I was even comfortable enough to do a little casting around the boat docks, and tree edges. I was wearing my very expensive PFD :lol: I do not think that I will go without it for some time ,until I get more experience.
This I do know, my paddling skill needs a vast amount of work. 2 strokes on the right side and the boat goes right, 2 strokes non the left side and I go left. I bet I looked like a drunken Polok on a horse. I aplogize to the horse.
I believe that I will enjoy this pirogue very much, in fact, I am planning to build another.

Thanks for all the help..
Tom

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Another one bites the sawdust! Boats are fun except for the sanding. My decked mouseboat will be ready for paint this week. And the Spring yellow perch run is underway.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Tom,

Good news! Got pichurs? I like the ones on the water best. :wink:

regards
bearridge

The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while. unknown high school student

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Waliczek said:
I have never been in a canoe, so I was not prepared for the tippyness.
Friend Tom,

A double blade paddle iz a good suggestion. First ya mite go out 'n work on yer "J" stroke, which iz really more of a backwards "L" stroke. That way ya kin paddle on one side longer 'n still go straight.

Anuther way ta settle down inta that boat iz ta git in some shallow water 'n work on yer brace. Lean az far out az ya kin. Put the paddle out in the water flat ta keep the water under the boat....ta keep ya frum turnin' bottom upwards. Try ta paddle it on the edge. [Ya likely caint do that, but it will show ya how far ya kin go without goin' fer a swim.]

regards
bearridge

ps If it iz a cold day 'n some gals 'er on the bank, the High Sheriff likes ta turn bottom upwards. He tells everbody he wuz jest practicin' hiz "J" stroke.

The ballerina rose gracefully en Pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant. unknown high school student

Waliczek

Jan 31, 2007
Kansas City, Kansas
I did forget to mention that I was also very upset. I forgot to take the camera. I had it on the dinning room table, but the wife somehow distracted me with some mundane chore or other. Now I have no maiden voyage pictures. Be assured, I have the camera in my pocket as I type this, and will take pic today.
Tom

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Waliczek said:
... I was wearing my very expensive PFD :lol: I do not think that I will go without it for some time, until I get more experience....
Congratulations on getting on the water. You will find that if you let the boat roll or pitch under you, while keeping your head and back upright, the hinges in you hips and back will let you butt set square with the boat while your shoulders stay square with the horizon.

NEVER - UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES are you to consider paddling without the PFD. Wear it even as you approach the water. You are not only doubling YOUR odds of survival, you are teaching kids around you who are watching, and will learn either from you or someone who doesn't care.

Waliczek

Jan 31, 2007
Kansas City, Kansas
Thanks for the tip Jack, about the hips being the hinge. Also I plan on wearing the pfd all the time.
My thanks to the rest about the kayak paddle. I think I will try that. Cabela's down the street has one for $22.95, I will get that and try it, if it works better, I will spring for a better one. Maybe even try to make one. should be fun.
Tom

Waliczek

Jan 31, 2007
Kansas City, Kansas
I forgot to ask during my last post. While sitting at my usual Polish bar, bragging about my boat, Sipping a Corona, ( someone else bought it).
Someone asked if I put a small skeg, about 1 1/2" or 2" would that help dampen the tippiness. I admitted I did not know, but I know who does know.
What to you guys think?
Tom

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Tom,

Even the $22.95 stick will be superior to a single blade canoe paddle. Once you learn that, spend a couple hundred, and get a Kevlar carbon fiber one that doesn't dissemble or feather, and enjoy paddling the easy way. Probably about 220cm - 260cm will do you wonderfully for the next twenty years. BTW, pay a bit more, get a bit less weight. You will thank yourself every time you use it.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Tom,

Belay that order of the longer the better. Not always a good idea. Go try some paddles in YOUR boat. Normally, when you expose a paddler to a stack of paddles of various lengths, they end up with a 220mm-230mm.

I also advised two other characteristics that may have slipped past you. No need to pay extra for a take apart paddle that weighs more than a one piece one. Also, avoid the feathered paddles. They are a slight advantage in a head wind, a disadvantage if the wind is coming from either side or rear, are confusing for bracing (catching yourself to prevent a tip over), and cause tendonitis. Follow the lead of the guys who invented these things over 5,000 years ago. They found the best system and refined it and stuck with it.