I have started the Bayou Skiff.... | Page 9 | SouthernPaddler.com

I have started the Bayou Skiff....

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Chuck, I'm glad I just read your last post, I haven't even used the Bayou Skiff "Lite" 4 times yet and I find myself still looking at boat plans. I was looking in the phone book for a 12 step program for addictive boat building. I couldn't find one so I am thinking of opening a West Florida Chapter. But now I see there are others in the same "boat", so I'll just relax and enjoy.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
captaindoug..........

Might as well forget the 12 step program , it does not work for boat building junkies , we are a lost cause so just give in ( surrender , don't fight it , throw caution to the wind ) to the cravings and keep the sawdust flying and the epoxy flowing. :D

Chuck.
PS. No matter how hard you try to quit , you will fall off the sawhorse at some point. :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Final step in the morning , off to Mim's and to Redfisher Boats to get a drain put in the transom. Loaded up and ready to go. :D

bayou%20skiff%20098.jpg

Then when I get back , off comes the skiff and those bunks get lowered , they are way to high. One good thing , the boat sits on there nice and snug , it really needs to be lower, to make launching it easier.
As far as getting it off the work bench , backed the trailer up to the work bench and just slid it off of it and onto the trailer. :roll:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK , Chuck get off your lazy rear , put that beer up and get out here I want to go for a boat ride.......... NOW !!!!!! .

bayou%20skiff%20099.jpg

Stop screwing around and make it Snappy .... I will sit here proud as a Peacock ( Like this ) for the trip so .... Lets get going , quite loafing and get your old bones moving.

( this is the 100th picture in this post)
bayou%20skiff%20100.jpg

Yes Sir , The Bayou Skiff is Wildlife Approved. The demanding little farts. :lol:

Chuck.
PS. The Mocking Birds are building a nest and they like to roast on the bow , when taking a break from there construction process. Then Ms. Mocker flew in and told him ........ he better stop thinking about a boat ride and get busy helping her build that nest. Women .... they are all alike. :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I went back and posted this on the post about the varnish.........

DO NOT , I repeat ... DO NOT use the Interlux Goldspar Satin Varnish on the boat.
The regular shinny varnish with all the UV protection , Interlux Schooner Varnish , is holding up really well ... The satin , after getting some dew on it is peeling. So much for the satin being water resistant as they claim it is.

I moved the boat outside and on the trailer overnight , we had a heavy dew during the night and it is making that Satin Varnish peel like the Min Wax Crap does when it gets wet.
The normal varnish is doing good , all the ribs and railing I left shinny is doing great , no problems with the varnish on it. Fortunately I do have a coat of it on the boat before I put the satin on there. Looks like I will have a sanding job in a little while but I am going to let more of it flake off.

Chuck.....

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Bummer

Is this what you used?

"Goldspar Satin

Goldspar® Satin is a low luster modified urethane varnish designed for application to interior wood surfaces.
Ideal for cabin interiors such as counters, cabinets and tables
Produces a warm, rich sheen finish which resists scratches and alcohol stains
Also suggested for home interior finishes such as bar tops, furniture and paneling
Excellent handling qualities enable truly professional results "

Product #60 that says interior use on the label? Say it ain't so Chuck.............

We've had good luck with Epifanes matte
"To be used over four coats of Gloss Wood Finish. This interior/ exterior finish provides beautiful rich extraordinary protection. Low gloss matte varnish. It is a non sanding solution for a matte finish. Its a one component varnish alternative based on urethane alkyd resins and tung oil, and contains UV absorbers. Wood Finish Matte is specially formulated for oilly woods like teak"

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
seedtick said:
Bummer

Is this what you used?

"Goldspar Satin

Goldspar® Satin is a low luster modified urethane varnish designed for application to interior wood surfaces.
Ideal for cabin interiors such as counters, cabinets and tables
Produces a warm, rich sheen finish which resists scratches and alcohol stains
Also suggested for home interior finishes such as bar tops, furniture and paneling
Excellent handling qualities enable truly professional results "

Product #60 that says interior use on the label? Say it ain't so Chuck.............

We've had good luck with Epifanes matte
"To be used over four coats of Gloss Wood Finish. This interior/ exterior finish provides beautiful rich extraordinary protection. Low gloss matte varnish. It is a non sanding solution for a matte finish. Its a one component varnish alternative based on urethane alkyd resins and tung oil, and contains UV absorbers. Wood Finish Matte is specially formulated for oilly woods like teak"

Yep that is what I used , just trying some new things and got goofed up in the process...... From what they said I figured it would work on the boat , guess I was wrong.
Never know till you go there , NOW ..... I know. Heck ... if I don't screw up at lease three times a day ........ I am still in bed. :lol:
A person never knows till they try it .... I have a 24 -7 to try things and see if they will work..... If not then I can correct them and when someone on here asks ( that does not have all that free time ) I can respond ( answer ) there question with experience. Ya Know the old , been there and tried it.

The way I see it is that after a light sanding I can get even more UV protection on the skiff with the non peeling varnish........ Plus that sanding will let me make sure I don't miss any spots on the boat.
Taking a negative and making it a positive is one thing I love to do. Anyway I know that combination stinks and not to do it in the future.

woodchips

Mar 29, 2010
Montgomery, Alabama
Nice work, I like that look. Even that figuar head on the stem . Do the wings open when you get up to speed ?
I can't wait to hear how well that oak holds up next year. Is that the stuff with the thicker inner core ?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
woodchips said:
Nice work, I like that look. Even that figuar head on the stem . Do the wings open when you get up to speed ?
I can't wait to hear how well that oak holds up next year. Is that the stuff with the thicker inner core ?

He just sits there like the bulldog on the hood of a Mack Truck. It has a thicker core and is a lot heavier then the Luann. I have had some chunks of it outside since December to see what the weather does to the untreated wood , it is in the same shape as when I put it out there.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This is a good shot of what that varnish is doing , so I would suggest to everyone ... DON'T Do like I do/did and use interior varnish over exterior for looks. Unless you like to do a lot of sanding which is in my near future. :lol:

bayou%20skiff%20103.jpg

As the one song The Serendipity Singers sang ...DON'T LET THE RAIN COME DOWN (CROOKED LITTLE MAN)- Substituting Boat for Roof ...." My Boat has a hole in it and I might drown." "O" Well this hole was planned and finally was installed in the boat.
The reason is that is I do not want to bail it everytime it rains , especially on a camping trip or a road trip getting there. For some reason it always rains on me and this will keep the skiff from becoming a bathtub while on the trailer or pulled up on the river bank.

If you want to hear the song .... http://tinyurl.com/yf7dbua and click on the Serendipity Singers , the top on on the page.

Front ..........
bayou%20skiff%20101.jpg

Back........
bayou%20skiff%20102.jpg

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When this happens to your varnish ............... It is tons of fun , as you will see.

bayou%20skiff%20103.jpg

You go from this ............
bayou%20skiff%20095.jpg

To this.............
bayou%20skiff%20108.jpg

From this..........
bayou%20skiff%20101.jpg

to this..............
bayou%20skiff%20105.jpg

and this.............
bayou%20skiff%20104.jpg

and this..............
bayou%20skiff%20106.jpg

and this.............
bayou%20skiff%20107.jpg

I tried something and it did not work so now I have to correct the problem. Fortunately I enjoy sanding :roll: , yep , believe that and I have some swamp land for sale that is nice .. high and dry. :wink:
"O" Well a few more days of sanding and I can get some good varnish on there. Then I get to start on the outside , what can I say , Luck runs in my family , just not sure which one it is. I can give you a hint , I was born under the sign of the .... BUZZARD.

Chuck.......
PS. This will be one well sanded boat , no matter how you look at it. :lol:

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
friend Keith and i are kinda partial to DeWalt's - the kind with the hook and loop pad - like velcro and dust collection system(for thickening epoxy)

the sander base over time does wear out and gets to where the the sandpaper won't stick to it, i've also got a Porter Cable and it does the same thing

We were in Home Depot and saw a Rigid today and they claimed lifetime replacement of parts - might want to check that out closely - sound s almost too good to be true

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Got a DeWalt's sander and even a hand scraper for the varnish..... Both have been put to use on the skiff , especially that scraper. I do have to say that a good sander is a blessing and it has been used a lot on stuff for the Skiff.
Also purchased a set of the 6" Deep Throat Bar Clamps from Peach tree Woodworking Supply. http://www.ptreeusa.com/index.htm
Only dam place I could find those clamps and at $ 8.95 each , what a deal , so I got 4 of them.....

deep_clamps_200_08.jpg

Since I am redoing things on the skiff I decided to really redo things...... You might say from the ground up from my original ideas for it on the interior.
Heck a friend of mine just looked at me and said ...... Why not just make a new boat. :lol: :lol: :lol: I told him I know this one floats. :wink:

Besides I have a lot of time and it is fun for me to try something different from my original thought , plus I still have a boat to use , like I don't have a lot more boats to use...... Way to many according to my wife. :p

Not sure about how things will turn out but they should be interesting for anyone building a Skiff and wanting to go just a little bit Krazy....... :D .
Besides building boats is my recreation since I think about them and what needs to be done , makes the worries of this life vanish. Except in this case , this one's an aggravation thanks to my stupidity but that stupidity will offer me a better boat and even more to think about. Taking a negative and making it a positive......

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Since the skiff is being redone and scraped / sanded to remove the old varnish I decided to go on and do some more things to it.

Taking a break from the sanding and scraping........ :D
One was to beef up the transom , just in-case I drop a motor on there later on which I am sure I will do.
I'm sure it was not needed since I think it is rated for up to a 5 HP motor and all I am looking at is a 30 pound 2.5 HP one. The 2.5 HP would be more then enough , especially from the way it scoots along with just some oars. Especially considering a person can generate almost a half horsepower at the best for only a few minutes. Pant ,pant ,pant , puff...... :wink:

I put down a good bead of fillet material and then put these 5/8 inch doweling on that bead of fillet material. The doweling was sanded , epoxy coated before it was stuck there. The fillet was on top of the old fillet I had so there is a double amount of fillet under the doweling.
Then I did a fillet ( very thick mix) along each side of it for additional support.

bayou%20skiff%20109.jpg

A closer view.
bayou%20skiff%20110.jpg

The left over epoxy was used to saturate the blocks for the seats when they are installed. One block under each arm of the seat. The seats will be the Ash and Woven wicker ones like you see in canoes and some of my other boats. ( I will post a picture of one when I get it installed , they are still in the cardboard shipping containers at this time.)
The reason is simple........ When someone else goes with me they always sit over to one side throwing the boat off center. This way there is only one comfortable place to sit , right in the middle keeping the boat balanced. Plus the seats are attached to the boat so I don't have to put them in the back of the Jeep which does not have a lot of room in there to start with.

bayou%20skiff%20111.jpg

The cleaned off areas by the ribs are where the blocks will go then the seats on top of them...... As soon as I get everything dry fitted , cut to size and then epoxied in. 4 blocks to a seat , 4 clamps to use , 2 or 3 days per seat ....... Darn good thing I am in no hurry. :lol:
bayou%20skiff%20112.jpg

Working from the stern to the bow before cleaning it and varnishing it again. The way the transom looks at this stage with the doweling in there , almost like the 5th rib set. :D

Chuck.