I like a quick and easy breakfast......... | SouthernPaddler.com

I like a quick and easy breakfast.........

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I like a quick and easy breakfast and cold soaking works really well in hot weather.

I use the old fashion oatmeal , 3/4 of a cup , a healthy dose of Cinnamon , a sprinkle of ground clove , a sprinkle of ground Nut Meg , a heaping teaspoon of Brown Sugar and a dash of table salt. I also add a small box of raisins or a small handful of Crazins ( Dried Cranberry's ). Then just before bed I add the water and shake the whole mess , then set aside. In the morning I give it a shake , unscrew the top , grab a spoon and have breakfast.

My cold soaking container is a Talenti gelato ( one Pint ) Ice Cream Container. A tasty benefit to this method , you have to eat the ice cream to have a empty container to use. :D;):cool:

The other benefit this container has is that it's really easy to clean. Fill part way with water , attach top , shake and empty ,if you want to ...... drink the water for extra liquid when camping.

Reactions: NWDad

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Chuck, do you miss it being hot? I definitely like this better than a packet of instant oatmeal! Yuck.

It's a different consistency then the hot and for warm weather I like it a lot better. The best description I can use is that it's sort of chewy , not over cooked and not raw just a happy medium. I think the amount of time it soaks has a lot to do with the end product. Mine soaks about 12 hours , 7 P.M.or 8 P.M. ---- 6:30 A.M.to 7A.M.
I add everything to the jar then add the water , shake it and set it in the frig overnight for the next morning. In the morning take it out , shake it and have breakfast. ( A couple of times I miss calculated the amount of water and had to add a little in the morning. )
For camping trips it would be a simple process to make up some Zip lock bags of it for meals to have after you hit on a happy combination.
It's a tasty and easy way to have oatmeal and the flavor is what ever you add to it.
The old fashion has the instant beat 10 ways past Sunday any day. I have had the instant and as others have described it ..... " Gag Meal."

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I concur on dislike lf instant oatmeal. I think it's pretty much like shredded newspaper soaked in liquid drained from blisters on the heels of hikers.

An old friend of mine would take a thermos, add a cup of whole wheat kernels, and add boiling water. He ckrked it up and let it soak overnight. Then he had hot bulgar for breakfast.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The same with oatmeal if you have something to hold the temperature ( Thermos Wide Mouth ) and a long handled spoon. There are a lot of items on the market today which keep items either cold or hot. The two I have are the Hydro Flask ( 18 ounce ) and the Klean Kanteen ( 20 ounce ). Either one will keep the temperature for a long time.

A good long handled spoon to use is the human Gear Duo.
http://www.humangear.com/gear/gobites