I Like This Boat Because.................... | SouthernPaddler.com

I Like This Boat Because....................

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Post a picture of a boat or boats you like and tell us why and what you like about it/them. Can be one you built or not.
I'll start. This may be my all time favorite build. I liked it's somewhat traditional design and I even liked the outside chine logs. The second picture probably influences my choice more than anything.
IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
This is the boat that got me back into boat building after 35-40 years. It was a heck of a cruiser. It also led me on a path to this site. From this site I met a host of new friends.... Islandpiper, Jack Voss, Chuck, Bearridge, seedtick, keith felder, Beekeeper, and many more. Through these guys, I've been a member of the annual Lead Fling for 10 + years. It was about the best "tangent" I've ever taken.

100_0271.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Joey nice pirogue. The 'tangent" and journey our first boats lead us on is the best part of building and using them. Some people build one boat and miss out on the journey. I wish there were more folks enjoying the experience. I too have made some friends along the way.

Chuck that is a beautiful kayak. If that is the boat that led you to starting this forum then it is also one of my favorite. Thank you so much. I look and research other boat forums all the time but have never joined another. This site and the folks here are the best.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bee , I have to agree with you , we have only the best on here and a lot of beautiful boats have been made by everyone.
Yes that's the boat. It brought the forum about because there was no where to look for answers to questions on building wood boats like we build. Neil ( future son-in-law ) asked if I would like to have a forum about what we do. It was a collage project for him.
That created Oldsparks Canoe and Pirogue Forum in 2000. ( with Kayak Jack up north and myself here in Florida )
Back to the kayak ...... I was trying it on a local lake and as I was paddling it , Mary & my wife showed up. I was out in the lake and as I approached the shore , she hollered out to me , Dad , What are you doing in my boat. Right then I knew I was going to lose it one day. Later a few years down the road I lost it and the Red Wood stripper , Pirogue , that I later made to her and Neil.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Post a picture of a boat or boats you like and tell us why and what you like about it/them. Can be one you built or not.
I'll start. This may be my all time favorite build. I liked it's somewhat traditional design and I even liked the outside chine logs. The second picture probably influences my choice more than anything.
View attachment 1652
View attachment 1653

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
This modified JEM Crawdad is probably my overall favorite. Maybe it’s just the most versatile. very stable, plenty of cockpit room, easy to haul because the square stern fits in the truck, and weighs about 30 lbs. The numerous angles may make the wood strip/fiberglass hull stronger.
tvwAf7YyAt5Img0UiCAT-14CtssydUL-0_sglofLNMN9x2ONnB7Yp9TqlxgUgjKe_gVuVin7IkLD2Fcr5VbkDEy77zjsJGRBMea_CP9-8fA1a2or1tfudeMVOgVAY-wDcKVaZbPrdEAj8I_FCQ

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Nice boat and design. For most of us a boat is a tool to be used. It is special when a tool works well for the task and is comfortable to use. Never hurts we made it our self and it looks good at the same time.