If you could buy only 1 sander??? | SouthernPaddler.com

If you could buy only 1 sander???

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
Ok, got to looking at the financial situation and discovered that I'm getting an increase in the ole monthly allowance (extra assignment at work that means extra pay, but no real extra work). So my first build will get to be done "right" plus I can set myself up for future builds (already got the eyes on one or two or three or........ :D :wink: ).

In more than one place, by more than one of ya, on this site it has been suggested to get a power sander. So, if you could buy only one type of sander, which would you buy?

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
I have both types, belt sander and random orbital.

I think the ROS gets used about 99 percent verses the belt 1 percent (if that much). Belt sander is way to easy to get away from me.

I have a Porter Cable ROS and it has served me very well for 3 boats. Course some of the ones from Harbor Freight or the 'Marts you can get two for my one.

DM
mike

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
thanks guys, just checked out Harbor Freight and an order has been placed: Soon will have saws (1 pull & 1 power jig), RO sander, and a couple of other things I saw on their that I just had to have :wink: :roll:

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
hairymick said:
Do your self a favour and get a carbide scraper too. They are the ducks guts for cleaning up resin runs etc.

Hey Mick, preciate that suggestion and will give it a look see. Though I much prefer eatin ducks guts than using 'em as a potential tool.

Drivin' home yesterday noticed that one of the local lumber yard/hardware stores is running a tax free sale this weekend. Gonna stop by there this evening to see what they got that can be used in the boat building process and to price some wood.

Last time I checked they only had 2X4 sheets of 1/8" luan. Will need to check what the got's in non-pine exterior ply. Plus, need to buy some molding to finish off another project, some roofing goo to stop a slow leak, and ply to redo the patio ceiling caused by that leak.

The projects seem to be piling up (actually just kept putting them off) but the desire to build a boat has me wanting to get those taken care of.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
hairymick said:
Do your self a favour and get a carbide scraper too. They are the ducks guts for cleaning up resin runs etc. Way faster to remove the bulk off before sanding.

Have a look at this one.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/tools/scrap ... /index.htm
As I'm starting to get in the boat building frame of mind, I've been keeping my eyes open for a scraper every time I go to Home Depot or Lowes. Quickly realized - they aint there. Thanks for the link...

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
rpecot said:
As I'm starting to get in the boat building frame of mind, I've been keeping my eyes open for a scraper every time I go to Home Depot or Lowes. Quickly realized - they aint there. Thanks for the link...

rpecot, helps me to know that Home Depot & Lowes don't carry 'em down there in your neck of the woods. If they ain't there then I know my home improvement store won't have them. Now, I'll have to check out the old fashioned hardware store in town (geezer's paradise regardless of age). But it looks like I'll be placing a web order for one.

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
If you have a store that specializes in house paint, they should have a good selection of scrapers. Thats what there usually sold for, but a sharp scraper does a better job than fine sandpaper for getting a smooth finish on your woodworking. :wink:

Richard

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My sander is a quarter-sheet sander. I'm not at all sure about the real differences between that and a Ransom Orbital Sander, but I'm pretty sure about eh price difference of sand paper for mine and the ones with Velcro on. My sheets are much cheaper to resupply than are the Velcroed kind.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Both the Home Depot and Lowes in my area carry the carbide scrapers. But like Richard says, ya gotta look in the paint section instead of the tool section.
I got mine from ACE Hardware. I like the Warner brand, the offset handle saves your knuckles a bit. I have both the Warner 803 (2" straight blade) and the Warner 808 (triangular balde).
Use the scrapers if you have drips instead of sanding, shaves just the drips down flush with the surrounding area, faster and cleaner than sandpaper.

DM
mike

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Irish Catholic-Jew tells all!!

Scrapers are pretty easy to make too. A piece of scrap stainless steel 3/16ths thick, cut to a rectangle 2-1/2 X 4". Hone it on your belt sander till the edge "rolls" and you've got yourself a scraper. Hone two edges,(short ways and long) and you can get into the tighter areas.
I've used one for years building cabinets, and it still works as good or better than any store bought scraper I've come acrossed.

Lee