I'll pass on these.... | SouthernPaddler.com

I'll pass on these....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Dinner last night was 3 dozen of raw oysters and three Sweetwater draft beers. Than I see this...........I'll pass on these oysters! :?
Hundreds Line Up For Mountain Oysters
VIRGINIA CITY, Nev. -- They're called oysters, but these fried delicacies don't come from the sea.

Hundreds of people stood on line for up to an hour for a chance to taste mountain oysters over the weekend.

About 130 of the sheep testicles :shock: were served at the 16th annual Mountain Oyster Fry in the old mining town of Virginia City.

They weren't just fried, either. The mountain oysters were barbecued, stuffed and even served in tacos.

Amanda Palmer said it's not as gross as it may sound. She added the mountain oysters tasted pretty good.

Slammer

Feb 16, 2006
South Texas
Sheeeeiiiiiitttttt, you ain't et till you had some calf fries ( that would be calf nuts).

Man them dere things are a delicous.

I remember once my best friend and I were working cows/calves and the rancher went to town for something and didn't come back for lunch. Man we were hungry. So we found a broken shovel put it on the branding fire and put the nuts on them. When they popped they were ready. Damn they were good.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Slammer said:
Man them dere things are a delicous.

I ain't eat'n none of them things out of respect for Jack being in the hospital for a sex change operation! Wouldn't be right! :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ya had three dozen oysters .. that is 36 of those little slimy suckers and raw to boot. So what did you have after the appetizer ??????

What in the he%% are you going to do when paddling down in the salt water with them just growing and being everyplace and everywhere you look. Eat your way thru them and create a new channel for the big boats to use. Yep , Guy's there is a new channel for you out to the Gulf , it is the Yak Channel and it only took him half a day to create it.

With that we hear a large BURPPPPPPPpppppppppp an MORE HOT SAUCE in the background.
I can see it now , just as clear as a mud puddle.... we leave from down there and they will have a few new channels thru the oyster beds and one or two new islands from all the shells.

The only thing that I know of that eats oysters are those malnourished raccoons that live down there and then they have a horseshoe crab for desert. Boy are you ever going to make them go hungry.

You guy's and the things you eat , people think I am strange because I like tofu and grits but you have me beat by a country mile. At lease tofu an grits are real food and good for you. OK... Grits are. :wink:

"O" ... I have to ask....... :lol: ..... was that some of the Hunts cocktail sauce you had with them :oops:

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Didn't know those Keys had oysters.....Thanks for the heads up Chuck.

Move over Rocky Raccoon......

Note to self for trip......bring oyster knife and gallon of tobasco! :p

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
Didn't know those Keys had oysters.....Thanks for the heads up Chuck.

Move over Rocky Raccoon......

Note to self for trip......bring oyster knife and gallon of tobasco! :p

Big ones , large beds of them and a hazard to navigation. Better bring more then a gallon of tobasco and at lease two gallons of wine to go with them. Can't go to the store down there , have to have it with you or do without.

Now I am not going to say anything about the fish , Snook , Reds , Trout , Snapper , Lobsters , Blue Crabs , Stone Crabs , Shrimp and all the rest of those nasty things living things some of you heathens actually kill and then eat. :roll:

If a person likes that yucky stuff then they would be in hog heaven. I am still looking for the tofu , salad and grit bars down there , I know they are somewhere , just have to find them.

As far as what you guys like , I enjoying cooking it for you when we are out camping and I even keep trying new ideas here at the house , a plate or two to make sure it is OK but then I stop and let the wife and pups have the rest of it. :lol:

Just don't let pups see the tofu or you will get ........BIT. (not sure how to take his reaction to that)

Chuck.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
chucky i take it u don,t like oysters. i thought u was a southern boy. i can hide some oysters now. i ai,nt eten no mountain oysters thought i,ll stick to the valley oysters. i ,ll leave the mountain one to the other geezers. (cat)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Mmmm, rock oysters, Standin waiste deep in the water shucking oysters with a cold beer beside you. What could be better. Don't need no tobasco. I can eat oysters till I can't walk. :D

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
hairymick said:
I can eat oysters till I can't walk. :D
I'm doing my best here Mick! :mrgreen: Go to the oyster bar every night while I'm here. The record is 14 dozen at one setting in this bar. I might be able to break the record, if I could cut back on the beer that goes with them. IMPOSSIBLE for me. I can eat them without Tobasco, but that prize winning sauce sitting on the bar, I can't resist. I'm just weak.:cry:

it was a brave man that ate the first oyster...

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I caint believe yer sayin' that. Ya musta been struck by lightnin'. Aint ya scairt next time it will strike ya blind too? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

the mystified
bearridge

That's your answer ole Man? I guess you're a hard case too. Luke

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
I caint believe yer sayin' that. Ya musta been struck by lightnin'. Aint ya scairt next time it will strike ya blind too? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

the mystified
bearridge

Not at all ... Lighting has not struck me or worse yet an oyster on my taste buds. "O"ooop's one time when I was younger and did not know any better an oyster actually passed over them ........ TWICE. One time going in slow an easy and one time going out with enough force to break down a steel door. :twisted:

I have swallowed better things with a head cold and a runny nose. At lease it stayed down an tasted a lot better. No where as slimmey and revolting :D

Bear .. Next time we get together I would ask you to get about 4 dozen of then in the shells , nice an iced , an you open them for me to have for supper... Best way to get over something is to go right back and try it.
It would be something I would hate to do ..... but to get along on here .. I will try anything .. even oysters in the half shell. YUCK.........HACK ..... SPIT.... VOMIT.......

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
O Master of Flowbizness,

It brings a big tear ta my eye, but I give 'em up years ago. I am sho nuff scairt of the disease they carry. Now if they found it aint risky ta eat 'em these days, I aim ta head fer the fish shop....after I grab a quart of horseradish.

regards
bearridge

I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury. Groucho Marx

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
chuck this is what we want u to fix when we go on a canoe trip. oyster stew, yum.

bear yea i was a little scared too about that , but i recentlty ate some @ my neighbors. i figured something gona kill me. like i said i can hide some dem oysters ! some of the guess ask him why he got so many he had 2 bushles. he told them he buys one for them & one for me. i did eat a few that night.(cat)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I put my life on the line everytime I go camping..... Oldyaker makes a supper or two.......

So far I can tell you exactly how many running steps it takes to get the nearest out house at all of the campgrounds we have been at.

Now out in the woods ..... Just look for the greenest trees and they do like the midnight or 2 AM feedings. So much for a good nights sleep........ Was that a Lion growing ... No ya dang fool it is your tummy and guess what.......... Here comes a blast to help ya get going , if ya don't have a spare sleeping bag and drawers..... get moving. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Chuck
PS. There is nothing worse in this world then a tent with a stuck zipper on the door at 2 AM. :roll:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
PS. There is nothing worse in this world then a tent with a stuck zipper on the door at 2 AM. :roll:

HMMMMMMM! Thanks for the tip Chuck......we're camping before too long...ain't we? :wink:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend catfish,

At first I only ate raw oysters at the bar.....the good ole days. I recall one time we found 'em a dollar a dozen in Fort Walton (under the bridge). [I dont recall vacation when I wuz a little pardner....cept scout camp, so this wuz the high life.....like William Bendix in "The Life of Riley".] After 2-3 dozen slid on down, my buddy 'n me wondered how much they would cost if we bought a sack full at the fish market. [We wuz drinkin', but that aint no call not ta be frugal....aye laddie.]

First try we bought too many, but we ate like we wuz frum Sparta.....'n drank like we wuz Irish. We wuz on the sugar sand beaches, drinkin' ice cold Budweiser 'n suckin' down raw oysters rite 'n left. Like at Thermopalye, the blood begun ta flow. Az the beer cans piled up, I began ta suffer multiple flesh wounds ta my left hand, but I held my ground. After the sun set, I run outta steam 'n looked down at that number 10 washtub filled with the last of the oysters 'n red ice water.

We had two dips; one with chili sauce 'n horseradish, one with mayo 'n horseradish. On our second try we bought a smaller sack. I figgered the women would go all in over them slimey little boogers, but they held back. The dang kids wanted burgers frum that Scottish cafe (McDonalds). I hurt myself eatin' that time too. Best I kin recall we settled in on a quarter bushel. That gives each fella 4-5 dozen eazy....likely more.

Back in them days they didnt have Anna Nicole, preverts buryin' little girls 'er mommas drownin' their own babies, but they did tell of folks dyin' frum eatin' raw oysters. I had a "come ta Jesus" meetin' over it 'n walked away.

I am half ready ta chunk care ta the wind 'n buy anuther quarter bushel. I need ta lose some weight anyway (like Dan Marino), so if I git sick it mite do me some good? Nowadays I figger I would have one dip with chili sauce 'n Zatarains, and the other with mayo 'n horseradish. [The H.J. Heinz folks make some good chili sauce.]

regards
bearridge

ps Dont no little pardners try this at home....'er even on spring break. I am a high trained professional glutton. Besides, ice cold Budweiser makes it too dang hard ta even figger out how many dozen oysters come in a quarter bushel.

There are three kinds of men: the one that learns by reading, the few that learn by observation, and the rest of 'em that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
After reading Bears post the only thing that comes to mind is Krazy Yankees and Nutty southerners an it is hard to tell them apart over a tub of slimy oysters. :? Except one of them ya can understand as they are moaning. :lol:

Now I know why Bear sleeps on a cot under a tarp , no zippers to worry about. OK... One small one but we will not go there since we do not cover small matters on here , just the larger more important ones. :roll:

Chuckles

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
Now I know why Bear sleeps on a cot under a tarp , no zippers to worry about. OK... One small one but we will not go there since we do not cover small matters on here , just the larger more important ones.
Mister Sparkanator,

One day I wuz watchin' a art show on the public tv 'n I found out what I wuz....a minimalist. :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :roll:

regards
bearridge

The sun don’t shine on the same dog’s ass everyday. Anonymous

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I have only ever met one man who could eat more oysters then me is a sitting.

We had gone on a several day fishing trip to the Capricorn / Bunker group of islands on the southern Geat Barrier Reef in my old motor cruiser and were returning to our home port of Gladstone. En route, we stopped off at a small uninhabited island called Hummochy Island just north of Cape Capricorn.

Here is a link to the Qld Govt mapping web site
http://gis.qld.gov.au/iqed/map/#
You can zoom in pretty much anywhere on this map and when it gets zoomed in enough ya can change it to satelite imagery (all except the restricted areas.)

A map of where I mean :D
hummochy.png

Satelite Piccie
Hummocky2.jpg

We paddled ashore in the dinghy onto this beach :D
Hummocky1.jpg

The piccie isn't mine but it should give you an idea.
here is a link to the paddling site i lifted the photo from. :oops:

http://www.capricornkayaks.com.au/0-gallery.html

We gorged ourselves on the oysters growing on the rocks there there till I couldn't possibly fit any more in and just sat in the shade under a tree for another two hours while my mate continued to eat. :shock:

The beach pictured is a small horseshoe shaped one, on the northern side of the island, sheltered from the prevailing South Easterly winds and is a superb anchorage in a strong south easterly wind. We spent two days there, eating, fishing and drinking beer. The place is very popular with the cruising yacht crowd who often stop there on their way north for the winter and again on the return journey for the summer. They have been using this island and it oysters for decades with no noticeable decline in oyster numbers.

In Queensland, we are allowed to harvest as many wild oysters s we can eat then and there, but it is illegal to take them away from where we get them. This suits me just fine because there is nothing I like more than standing wate deep in water, opening oysters on the rocks with a cold beer sitting on the rock in front of me.