Inadequate Performance | SouthernPaddler.com

Inadequate Performance

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
How does one confess to such a difficult thing.? I have tried to seek help from those around me that I have confidence in. I have even searched throughout the internet for help with non satisfying results.
I am at my one wits’ end.

I have therefore decided to seek help from those who I feel may be able to help me where others have failed. I do this, secure in the knowledge that behind this keyboard I am in relative security. My true identity may never be known to the people who read of my failure and that gives me the courage to go forward and explaining the problem and ask for help. Shameless am I who seeks assistance.

Well, to it.

I have had this problem for many years. One hides the failure with any number of excuses. It is however becoming harder each time to explain away the lack of success. However, it must be noted that intermixed with the failures there are times of success. So, the problem is random at best. I can never be sure when I will be successful or when I will fail.

I use a well seasoned cast iron skillet. Into this I add solid Crisco to a depth of about ½ inch. I heat the oil to a temp of between 345 & 360 degrees. Into this I place my breaded steaks.

The steaks, either top round, which has been tenderized with a 40 blade type tenderizer or cube steak which I also re-tenderize.

For the batter, I season general purpose flour with salt and pepper. I then pat dry the steaks, flour them and then drench them in a batter of egg and a bit of cream/milk which ever is handy and re-flour them.

After allowing the steaks to sit for 5 or 10 min, I place them in the pan till golden brown 3-4 min then flip them over for another 3-4 min. [or whatever it takes].

Coming out of the pan, they look fantastic. My problem is,

When cutting the steaks, the coating just falls off. ARUUUGGGHHHH

Oh THE SHAME. As stated, this don’t happen every time but, it happens enough that I NEED HELP

Is there anything you can tell me to help eliminate the problem?

The first few beers are on me , if we ever meet, for the one with the solution.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I would suggest that you pat the steaks dry with a towel ( Paper if you want to ) then dredge them in some flour , after that into some egg batter and back into the flour (seasoned naturally with what ever you like along with salt and pepper ) Like you do but I would use less oil , unless you like oil in your diet. Just a well seasoned pan will do the trick with a spoon or two of olive oil in it. ( Have to think healthy )

Now as far as the coating falling off , a gentile mix of wood flour and some epoxy will make it stick and if done properly it will not fall off but it might make you rather sick. :mrgreen: Actually sicker then a Chit eating dog chowing down on last weeks poop.:twisted:

Duct Tape works if you don't have the wood flour and epoxy handy. If you don't then ...........................

I have a good recipe for some Yankee , fried ,TOFU that kayak Jack gave me and I'm willing to share it with you as soon as the doctors release you from the hospital. I told Jack I would never say anything about that but this seams to be an emergency case and it is better to share it with you then to hear you are in such misery. :lol:

Chuck.
PS. Ya had me worried with the way you titled this , I thought you were referring to Oldyaker at the Oyster Bar in Savanna , Ga.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Like Chuck, I'd advise MUCH less oil, and make it olive oil. I'll complete what he didn't say. Take the can of Crisco, walk with it to your rear property line, drop kick that SOB as far as you can, and turn around before it lands.

Chuck didn't mention his favorite breading: gritz and epoxy. A few handsful of random scatter fiber glass will help too.

Try letting your steaks come to room temperature before breading. A couple of beers whilst they lay on the cupboard is usually sufficient. (I recognize that your retired boomers may not recognize the old American beverage called beer, so look it up on the net so's you'll recognize it in the store and not embarrass yourself.)

Also, buy better steaks so you don't have to run over them with a road grader to get them edible.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Like Chuck, I'd advise MUCH less oil, and make it olive oil. I'll complete what he didn't say. Take the can of Crisco, walk with it to your rear property line, drop kick that SOB as far as you can, and turn around before it lands.

Chuck didn't mention his favorite breading: gritz and epoxy. A few handsful of random scatter fiber glass will help too.

Try letting your steaks come to room temperature before breading. A couple of beers whilst they lay on the cupboard is usually sufficient. (I recognize that your retired boomers may not recognize the old American beverage called beer, so look it up on the net so's you'll recognize it in the store and not embarrass yourself.)

Also, buy better steaks so you don't have to run over them with a road grader to get them edible.

Rubbing them with viagara may help with this random problem.